New Flashaholic Found!

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys, looks like I recruited another flashaholic. My grandmother does a lot of hiking, but would only carry one flashlight, some plastic 2xAA thing with a PR-base incandescent bulb. Obviously she would not want to carry a heavy backup in her rucksack, so I gave her an Ultrafire CR123a Cree single-mode flashlight with a few spare cells.:cool:

Anyway, so I expected her to only carry it while walking. But, last night, it was her Golden Wedding Anniversary. My grandfather was attempting to read his speech, but the lighting was too dim. I was just reaching round to pull out my Raw Ti from my back pocket and my grandmother pulls her Ultrafire from her bag before me. Problem Solved :twothumbs:

She later told me that she has been carrying it everywhere with her, true EDC-style.:crackup:

On a side note, that Ultrafire was pretty darn bright. It is actually a very nice light by any metric, but especially being only $19!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, that's a great story. I guess lights do appeal to people of all ages:twothumbs

I think many older people grew up with poor lighting so now they appreciate the value of having light when you need it.

My mom seems to be this way. She grew up fairly spartan in the South, and they must have had lousy light (or kept them off a lot) because now she has a thing about turning on almost all the lights in the house at night.

She's about as non-technical a person as you could find, BUT I gave her a little 2AAA RiverRock years ago and she still carries that thing a lot, and uses it to get up at night. She was impressed by the Mag Led upgrade to their old 3D Mag too! Bottom line, you never know who out there may value a light, regardless of profession or background :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Nice!

But maybe next time you'd want to give her something with a simple low mode so she can preserve night vision better and/or have longer runtime.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!

But maybe next time you'd want to give her something with a simple low mode so she can preserve night vision better and/or have longer runtime.

If the user interface got complicated, my grandmother would not bother with it. I guess the easiest way to give her a simple to use low mode is to give her a Fenix E01 too.

DealExtreme is an absolute blessing to recruit new flashaholics. For very little money, you can give them a light to impress, and then they can venture into higher-quality alternatives under their own steam.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
If the user interface got complicated, my grandmother would not bother with it. I guess the easiest way to give her a simple to use low mode is to give her a Fenix E01 too.

DealExtreme is an absolute blessing to recruit new flashaholics. For very little money, you can give them a light to impress, and then they can venture into higher-quality alternatives under their own steam.

Absolutely right, keep it simple. Glad you've helped your grandmother 'see the light'. (Forgive the pun.) My 71 year old mother often goes to church or visits friends in the dark and I've been telling her for ages to keep a light in her handbag. To get her used to it, I dug out an unused MiniMag AA I had left over from a batch I'd eBayed and dropped in a 1watt TerraLux. Brighter than stock, lasts for ages, twisty ease and reliability, no bulb to change, cheap to feed. Perfect for her. Now she keeps it in her bag all the time, and no doubt impresses the other old ladies!:grin2:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, that Ultrafire was pretty darn bright. It is actually a very nice light by any metric, but especially being only $19!

are you talking about the 2AA 606A model? cos that is exactly what my buddy's mom (another grnadma) is using!!

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you talking about the 2AA 606A model? cos that is exactly what my buddy's mom (another grnadma) is using!!

No, it is a single CR123A powered light, I think it is the UF 602D or something like that. Very nice light either way. Oddly enough, the beam quality was better than some well-respected mid-premium brands.