Best/brightest light for keychain/backup EDC?

maxa beam

Banned
I know the Arc AAA-GS, but kind of low output.
Fenix L0D Q4 looks nice with the 75 lumens, but they grotesquely over-rate their lights.

If small, an AA would suffice, as well.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Best/brightest AAA/AA for keychain/backup EDC?

Fenix L0D Q4 looks nice with the 75 lumens, but they grotesquely over-rate their lights.

And where would you be getting your information from? All their Cree lights have tested spot on with what's advertised.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally would recommend one of the variants of the LF2 for keychain carry, program the low output to the least amount of light you'd expect to need, and the high output to the highest you can get within your preferred runtime constraint. Then don't use any of the other features ever again. You have a simple and easy two-stage light with exactly the two settings you want.

It's also fully regulated with low battery warning, and overdischarge proteciton on either NiMH or LiIon.

Check out the link in my sig for a detailed comparison between the L0D-CE, LF2 (SSC and XR-E variants), and LF2x with things like relative overall output, beam angles, current draws, and expected runtimes.

Last edited:

bessiebenny

Enlightened

No one has reviewed this yet.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=178248

But, you may also consider this KD Buckle V4 AAA flashlight with a Cree Q5.
They tout 110 LED lumens coz Q5 is driven at a current regulated 350mA.
(So this isn't really over-rated. Beamshot also looks VERY nice for SMO)
Jerry is heaps proud of this new model so I think it might be a winner. =)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you only want high output, and don't plan to run 10440s, the latest buckle light looks like a great deal -- current regulated and the brightest available on NiMH.

At this point I don't need any more LEDs though, at least not until we start getting neutral and warm white emitters readily available.

maxa beam

Banned

That 110 lumen light looks pretty awesome in terms of output, but I can only imagine build quality/ruggedness for 20 bucks.

If only Arc made a 60 lumen light.

I'll probably end up going for the Arc, as their build quality, durability, and overall reputation is phenomenal.

And yes, Fenix over-rates their lights. They rate them for their bulb lumens, not taking into account reflector loss, lens loss, etc.

You only really get 75%(I've heard less) of the displayed lumens in a Fenix.
I wish every company would go the extra mile and get out the front measurement such as Surefire. Oh well.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Take another look at the testing on the various Fenix lights by chevrofreak. Most of them are within 5% of their rated lumens for TORCH lumens. In fact the LOD is under-rated in that respect.

Also, stating emitter lumens isn't overstating, it's just stating them a different way.

fluke

Enlightened

Liteflux LF2, can't comment on the LF2X as I don't have one, but the LF2 can run for about 9 hours on an alkaline cell at it's default 15% P1 positon.

Rossymeister

Enlightened

I Would Definitely Recommend The Fenix L0D Q4

The Ability To Change Levels/Runtime To Suit Your Needs Is Priceless

Ninjaz7

Enlightened

Fenix L0D Q4 is a good pick,add a 10440 to it and it holds a good case for the one of the brightest aaa.

FsTop

Enlightened

If you really want the "best/brightest AAA", the Draco is at the top of the list, but it doesn't come cheap.

If AA, take a look at the JetBeam Mk. IBS.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

ahhh, its a been awhile since one of these "best AAA" threads...

i will end up having almost all more well known,available AAA lights soon.

i have

Jet-u
LOD-Q4
Arc-DS
Fenix E0

in transit are:
Lf2X
E01
KD "tough" aka. Buckle light V4

maybe i can get round to doing a comparison

and maxa beam, maybe YOU should spend a good 10,000 dollars for an intergrating sphere, then all the companies would want to send you a unit for testing, to ensure they dont, as you say, grotesquelly over rate, thier lumens

and inceidently, you really shouldnt judge the new KD light before anyone has really said anything about it. Do you by any chance know the whole back story behind the V4? if you dont, go read up..

and ARC's quality seems to have been slipping slightly in recent times..does anyone have a more recent, optimistic story to tell then the ones in the jeer forum? :candle:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Buffalohump

Enlightened

Peak LED Matterhorn 3 LED on a lithium cell is pretty darn bright...

Sorry I don't have a more scientific way of putting it but its a bright sucker.

Tough as well. Mine went through the washing machine in my pocket and came through still right as rain. :faint:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have three different Fenix L0D's, a Liteflux LF2 SSC and an LF2X.

My suggestion is to choose an LF2 SSC if you like a floody beam or an LF2X in case you prefer it throwy. Then I'll second the advice to program the two main levels to your liking and forget about all other functions, starting from SOS and strobe.

bessiebenny

Enlightened

As Crenshaw said, I have very high expectation for the new KD V4 Buckle light.
It was based on the L0D and Jerry was extremely proud of his new creation. =)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most light situations call for low to moderate light. Any light that blasts brightness only is not very useful as a EDC. It will blind you more than help you.

A back up should be ultra reliable because it's a back up, and should be useful with decent life, but not the brightest because that is not its duty. Therefore the Fenix E01 would be the ideal back up, at its price point.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would recommend

Nitecore Defender Infinity
Fenix L1D
Fenix L0d

FsTop

Enlightened

Ah, the old "favorite light" discussion...

That's why the Draco is a great choice if you can afford it: it has a much lower Low than any Fenix, particularly on Li batteries, and also has a settable level and a 110-lumen High.

Among my criteria for "best" keychain light, in no particular order:
- smooth beam with a moderate hotspot and a lot of spill,
- good color rendition,
- at least two settings, with a 2-4 lumen Low setting, and 100+ lumen High,
- jewelry-quality appearance, preferably not military style,
- Not HA alum. finish - it always scratches and looks like the devil in a year or two on a keychain,
- not interested in strobe, SOS, etc, if it gets in the way of the UI at all,
- slim and short - fatties need not apply, and I put all of the L0-XX in that category, as they are several mm longer than an ARC AAA, and a couple of mm fatter. I want no more than 13mm diameter to hold a 10mm AAA battery or 17mm for a AA.
- a "clean" tailcap for a split ring - no silly tail-stand extension.

So I bought a Draco with 10440/AAA-sized extension. It's the most nearly "perfect" match that I've found for my criteria.

Last edited:

bp044

Enlightened

I personally would recommend one of the variants of the LF2 for keychain carry, program the low output to the least amount of light you'd expect to need, and the high output to the highest you can get within your preferred runtime constraint. Then don't use any of the other features ever again. You have a simple and easy two-stage light with exactly the two settings you want.

It's also fully regulated with low battery warning, and overdischarge proteciton on either NiMH or LiIon.

Check out the link in my sig for a detailed comparison between the L0D-CE, LF2 (SSC and XR-E variants), and LF2x with things like relative overall output, beam angles, current draws, and expected runtimes.
I dont see the low battery warning mentioned on their web site. one of the versions appears to be mounted at the rear cap to a small tripod. does require an accessory ? Do all of the LF2's have this feature ?