Single LED with Dual 18650s

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
In your opinion, whats the "best" under $50 single led light available at DX that uses two 18650's. I've looked at the Ultrafire WF-502D, the Romisen Cree RC-J4, and the Romisen Cree RC-D4. By best I am thinking in terms of efficiency, brightness, runtime, and size, (and somewhere down the line modding). Is there anything better that I have missed, thanks for your help, I've been looking at this and just can't make up my mind.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you going to use it for?

A notable light you missed is the WF-800, which throws very well.

Wolf359

Enlightened
i have the Ultrafire WF-502D it is a good light and takes P60 droppins giving me an upgrade path it currently houses Cree Q5 LED Drop-in Module (3.7V~18V Input) sku.11621, medium thrower with good side spill. longest i have used it for is 3 hours no drop in brightness but did get fairly warm.

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
What are you going to use it for?

A notable light you missed is the WF-800, which throws very well.

I'd like to say my evening walk, but honestly its to add to my collection, its a type of light I do not have, its in my price range and I have many smaller lights. Also I just picked up 3 Romisen Cree RC-I3, (one for me the rest as gifts) and was quite pleased.

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
i have the Ultrafire WF-502D it is a good light and takes P60 droppins giving me an upgrade path it currently houses Cree Q5 LED Drop-in Module (3.7V~18V Input) sku.11621, medium thrower with good side spill. longest i have used it for is 3 hours no drop in brightness but did get fairly warm.

Thank you I think thats what I needed to know. This was the light I liked the most on the basis of looks, am I correct to assume that I can now just drop in P60 R2 replacement? If so this is a very strong selling point.

Last edited:

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered from DX 3 Ultrafire WF-502D, 3 Cree R2 Drop-In and 1 UltraFire 3.6/3.7V Battery Charger.

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
and the batteries for it to i hope :)

I already had the batteries, 6 new 18650, and one older one. I got a charger because the old flashlight I was using charged in body, which worked OK when it was the only flashlight I had using 18650 cells.

Last edited:

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
I am going to need 3 p60 hosts, anyone know if a local store like Target, Wall Mart, or such carries an inexpensive torch that can be used as a host? I did take a look at the P60 Flashlight List {host} list. I guess the real problem is I may not recognize any light I do see as being p60 hosts.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think there are any inexpensive P60 accepting torches in any easy to get to store(I might be wrong). There are many online though.

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
p60 host using 18650 cell's ?
That would be best, but any p60 host would be good, I just don't want the p60 units I take out of the Ultrafire WF-502D's to go unused.

Now that I think more about it, hosts using either AA or C cells would be good. I have 12 Powerex 5000 mAh nimh C cells that work well in my lights, but only 8 of them are in use at any time. So 4 of them are sitting around unused or in the charger. The C cells don't take long to charge and last forever in my flashlights; though I do make a point of cycling them around and fully charging them at least once a month.

Last edited:

Wolf359

Enlightened
Solarforce L2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220216664337&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012

i am using these as hosts for my older P60 Q2 modules they do not take 18650 cells but do take protected rcr123 and 17670 the fit and finish are excellent.

Superfire 9v

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=903

i have several of these and they will take protected trustfire 18650 cells with ease. fit and finish are ok the threads needed greasing. good cheap beater light that have my old P4 modules in . i have one or two in each room of the house.

as a side note i have found that old 35mm film canisters are a good way to store P60 modules protecting physical damage when tossed in a draw :)

Last edited:

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
My order from DX has shipped and should be here in 7-10 days. Why does waiting suck so much? When they get here I am going to try to do my first review for the forums. I plan on reviewing the stock lights and then the mod with the P60 R2 drop ins. Any suggestions as to procedure?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to need 3 p60 hosts, anyone know if a local store like Target, Wall Mart, or such carries an inexpensive torch that can be used as a host? I did take a look at the P60 Flashlight List {host} list. I guess the real problem is I may not recognize any light I do see as being p60 hosts.

Target has the Brinkmann Maxfire.

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
I found a P60 host, but it turned out to be not quite what I thought. I had stopped by Cabela's to meet a friend who needed some work done on her computer. Anyway she was late so I went in to look around. In the bargain cave I found a 12V xenon P60 host that uses 4 cr123 batteries labeled as needing a new P60 host. It was marked down from $50 to $18. So I got it. I thought I was going to be able to use two 18650 cells and a cree P60 R2 led unit. But I found out the 18650 cells don't fit, and the xenon P60 works. So now I need some rechargeable cells that will fit, and I guess I will keep the xenon P60 as a spare.

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened
Did you see this one ? With a SSC P7 :candle:

(single led :twothumbs)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12761

sku_12761_1_small.jpg

JP

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
I love my RC-D4, but I think I'm the only person to have ever bought one. There is absolutely nothing to hate about it. You can even put a Mag UCL lens in it. I've been meaning to order a Q5 on a 16mm board from DX as well, since the tint is pretty blue right now. Runtime should be around 4 hours. You could blugeon someone with this thing too. I wish more people would try it.