Lens ? from observer.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a Modder, just an interested observer.

Inspired by reading posts in this forum about focusing, most recently shankus'; I was wondering if any of you have tried this optically based idea.

A two piece, long thread, telescoping cylinder incapsulating the led and coming into contact with the sink. Dim around 15mm to 25mm tall and about 9mm ID. Mount an acrylic laser led collimator in the top. I believe this is similar to how some laser driven fiber optic applications are focused.

lenses_acryl.jpg

Viable?

Thanks.

tonyb

Enlightened
I already did that a while back do a search on micro-lux. Have already given a few out to tst i think B@rt got one.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
tonyb -

The search turned up a post about a hotfoot creation and the reference sticky where I found your lights. When I click on the link to your AAA microlux I get a "this page has moved." with a link that brings me right back to CPF.

Do you know what I'm doing wrong? I can't believe I missed your light.

Thanks.

tonyb

Enlightened
The only problem with these lenses is there cost is very high Oriel and Edmund have in stock lenses and can make a lens for you. I was hoping more people would look into this to find a small cheep acrylic lens that would work with a luxeon.
lenses.JPG

microlux1.jpg

microlux3.jpg

I posted back in January I think I don't know why you can't find it here are some pics.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
These gives a nice focused (for their size) spot of light but has unusually bright ring of corona which spreads quite far from the center. The alu ring is very good though because it conducts the heat away from the LS. I can feel the heat when I take the ring off my BB500 when it's been there for just a few seconds.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure I did a very poor job at description but it would look nothing like that at all.

The lenses range between $1.00 and $2.00 a piece.

Wylie

Enlightened
Icebreaker,
I have been fumbling with optics for some time now. Trying to make my own with a Dremel tool is making me crazy. I was working on something like the NX05s for 5mm LEDs but they are just not working out. I have some ideas for side emitting L/Ss as well but I will have to see if they are worth the effort after I get my EverLeds I have ordered. I'LL have to take a look at Roithner and see what they have to offer.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Wylie -

Yes, I remember you mentioning this. Here is some info I just sent another member which, of course, can be attained from the properties of the pic. I wish I knew more about optics. I think more than one lens might work best. *miniature telescope*. I may order some to play with, maybe the 8mm would be good.

Roithner has some optics I've never heard of on their site, as well as some other cool stuff engineering types might find interesting.

"I was Googling around and found www.roithner-laser.com

I haven't done business with them but thier site looks straight. I found the prices on their Adobe list at http://www.roithner-laser.com/All_Datasheets/Pricelists/pricelist-c-030325.pdf

As I recall a comma is a dot in Europe.

I think my search criteria was laser led lens optical fiber.
"

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Optics to me are Black Magic and Witchcraft- you guys are Wizards! I recut the included "cone" angle of an NX-05 from 58deg to 64deg and seemed to get a tighter beam. I keep hoping somebody can confirm/unconfirm this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Larry

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tonyb said:
I already did that a while back do a search on micro-lux. Have already given a few out to tst i think B@rt got one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I got one from you, thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been too buisy to put it in a mod yet, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but some quick "fiddeling" with it showed a nice beam, a little wider than the NX05 optics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tonyb

Enlightened
Yes Bart it is a little wider than a NXO5 optic but you can make it focus real tight if you put another lens of a little bit larger diameter, either a plano-convex or a double-convex, in front of the micro-lux lens system. I'm in the process of engineering a miniture focusable high power system. I expect to have something to show by early summer. Thanks!

Anthony

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Icebreaker,
I have added the Roithner website to my favorites for future reference.
I thought I had finally aced my change I want to make to my Infinity Ultra G today but missed again now that I can see better as it has gotten dark.

tvodrd,
I work with old Ben Franklin's words true to the letter. Ben said, I have not fail I have only found 10,000 ways that do not work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif So anyway with the optics I just look at the LED and where the light is emitted from and is going and then I play a game of Atari pong with the light inside the optics and try to make the light go where I want it to. Really a lot easier said than done. I'm no wizard!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Wylie,
Unlike most of you optical wizards (Denial will not spare you!), I am not lathe-challenged /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . Should you ever get a "coool idea," do not hesatate to PM me!

Larry

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tonyb said:
I'm in the process of engineering a miniture focusable high power system. I expect to have something to show by early summer...
Anthony

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
fd0c627e.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, I apologize for my lack of descriptive use of the English language but, really this is the best I can do at this point.
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
A two piece, long thread, telescoping cylinder incapsulating the led and coming into contact with the sink. Dim around 15mm to 25mm tall and about 9mm ID. Mount an acrylic laser led collimator in the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, though tonyb has done some excellent preleminary work,

[ QUOTE ]
tonyb said:
you can make it focus real tight if you put another lens of a little bit larger diameter, either a plano-convex or a double-convex, in front of the micro-lux lens system. I'm in the process of engineering a miniture focusable high power system. I expect to have something to show by early summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

a "miniture focusable high power system" (which is arguably a better description of my question) has, as of yet, escaped tonyb's production process. Thankfully and happily the concept of plano-convex and double-convex lenses has been presented.

However, the question is still open.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In shankus' thread an esteemed Modder made reference to the kaotic nature of photons making optically focusable devices a challenge. I thought that a rod shaped transmitter might be a solution. On the site previously posted here are these interesting things:

Yag Rods
Crystal_03.jpg

I thought these were interesting also:

Non-Linear Crystals
Crystal_04.jpg

I don't have a clue what this is all about:

Cylindrical Lens
Optics_02.jpg

Wylie

Enlightened
Larry,
I am lathe challenged and the biggest problem I am having is getting my hands on the lathe itself. I have been looking at this one but with all of the other stuff I would have to get to cut threads male and female and do knurling and everything else I figure I will end up dropping about a grand into it just to start with. The only thing I am not sure of with the model of lathe in the link above is the travel the drill press has is a little short for me I think.
I really appreciate the offer and may just take you up on it sometime.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Icebreak,

I just re-read your initial question and certainly you can redirect the photons that make it to your lens that is 25 mm above the LED but I suspect that many of the photons created will have blasted into the tube on the way up and will have gone from light to heat energy.

For those of you with access to a lathe, I have an idea that, coupled with a dollar might earn you a cup of coffee. For curiosity's sake, I chucked up a NX05 and drilled out the ball portion of the lens. The idea here is similar to Icebreaks in the sense that I would have access to those photons that were headed straight out from the LED and yet the NX05 with TIR would redirect the photons that would otherwise have been lost out the side. With a 5W HD, the square portion of the beam (originally) provided by the ball is no longer there. If I haven't been clear on this (likely) I drilled all the way through the NX05 and then used a Q tip and secret polishing compound to polish the resulting cylinder. Perhaps with this open lens, a rod lens could be moved up and down for effect.

I will next see what happens if the hole is tapered with a flare as the hole moves away from the LED. This will allow for a larger angle of direct light to be redirected by some type of lens further out. Having no expectations, whatsoever, there's a good chance I won't be disappointed with the results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

- Don

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don -

I don't have correct tools but I had thought about deepening the shaft with a concave bit to continue the design structure of that little nubbin in the bottom of the shaft as I presumed it was a needed optical component. I had considered that stuffing one of those laser lenses in there might tighten up those pesky photons.

On your rod idea, I would have thought that the end of the rod might need to be convex in shape. I would have also thought you wouldn't want to drill all the way through the NXO5 but I think I see your vision now.

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

Is the secret polishing compound Pepsodent?

Regards,

- Jeff

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Icebreak,

I like sharing halfbaked ides. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peosodent, hummmmm...... No, my secret polishing compound is Flitz.

The nubbin or ball is an intended lens component but what do these lens designers know? We can fix their designs. With the HD's in particular, I don't care for the square die image being projected by the ball and that's why I blew it away. On the 30 mm, I put a small disk of LSD film between the ball and the LED to blend the square die image out.

- Don