Folder recommendation

stockae92

Enlightened
I recently got a CRKT M16 12FDZ (with AUS 8 blade). It works great and I really like the "Carson Flipper" and the AutoLAWKS for pace of mind. And I like it where I can open and close it with one hand.

I am looking for something slightly bigger to carry for camping, and I leaning more towards utility and strenght of the blade (as well as edge holding).

i didn't got too far, so far my only candidate is CRKT M21-04.

any recommendation?

(slightly bigger than M16 12 (> 3" blade), with non-serrated blade, perfer plain steel (non coated), non-tanto, dual safety lock (like AutoLAWKS) and also something like "Carson Flipper" are nice too)

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benchmade Griptilian may be a good choice. The axis lock mechanim is very secure and the blade steel is 154CM. I have a Mini-griptilian and it is a great knife.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Check out the Kershaw Storm 2 for $30 at Walmart. It is almost 8.5 inches long. Blade is approximately 3.50 inches and the handle is about 5 inches. It uses Sandvik 13c26 steel which is very good steel and sharp! I am very happy with mine. Good luck.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
No flipper, but I'd suggest the Spyderco Endura and Delica. Good steel, and the lock is strong enough not to need a secondary safety.

Saranic

Newly Enlightened
I may be off base but I like a fixed blade for camping

Benchmade as far as mass production is a good line

I like the Griptilians

One of my favorite knives is the Dajavoo(s30v blade, G-10 scales, Ti lock)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco endura, or even caly3 for flat grind.

Check out the Kershaw Storm 2 for $30 at Walmart. It is almost 8.5 inches long. Blade is approximately 3.50 inches and the handle is about 5 inches. It uses Sandvik 13c26 steel which is very good steel and sharp! I am very happy with mine. Good luck.

I have this one too, but the recurve blade was a pain in the butt to sharpen, and almost impossible to reprofile.

Last edited:

Dantor

Enlightened
Axis locks are really nice! I'd also recommend the
Benchmade Griptilian or 710.

2zq975e.jpg

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree with the Grips, 710, Enduro, Caly and Delica. I'd add the Spyderco Military. You'd probably like anything with an axis lock, so that'd be the Grips or the 710.

For a super strong, combat-rated folder, you might try the Spyderco Manix. It's a discontinued line, but Knifeworks has a green-handle G10 sprint run in S30V plain edge ($124, I think). You can open it easily with one hand, but it's no flipper. It is extremely strong and well made. It has a flat grind and a beefy leaf blade.

You might also like the Benchmade Rukus, which is big and strong. Its axis lock makes it a smooth, easy flipper. The big blade almost opens itself. It's a sabre grind.

stockae92

Enlightened
i am leaning towards Benchmade Griptilian or Rukus, with smooth blade

Thanks guys for the recommendation

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am leaning towards Benchmade Griptilian or Rukus, with smooth blade

Thanks guys for the recommendation

i liked the rukus except it had a HUGE handle. but since you want it for camping, should be fine. definitely get the bigger one if you go with the rukus, its a lot o knife for a folder. good steel, one handed opening/closing, good lock.

Dantor

Enlightened
the Rukus is a sweet blade, after I got my 710 I was "this close" from getting a Rukus!

but I got hit with the dreaded "Reason" bug!

I got a SAK OHT for like 24 bucks and it has so much more than a single, dedicated blade. sure the blades are tougher/thicker on regular folders but I have fixed blades for tougher jobs, very good ones.

I can't convince myself to pay so much anymore for a folder when I can get a very good, lifetime warranty multi-purpose blade now. that's just me, and maybe I'm crazy! lol
2qclf6h.jpg

don't get me wrong, I really like my BMs and Axis locks are amazing/fast but do I really need that for EDC?
just thought I'd share that...

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Rukus is a sweet blade, after I got my 710 I was "this close" from getting a Rukus!

but I got hit with the dreaded "Reason" bug!

I got a SAK OHT for like 24 bucks and it has so much more than a single, dedicated blade. sure the blades are tougher/thicker on regular folders but I have fixed blades for tougher jobs, very good ones.

I can't convince myself to pay so much anymore for a folder when I can get a very good, lifetime warranty multi-purpose blade now. that's just me, and maybe I'm crazy! lol
2qclf6h.jpg

don't get me wrong, I really like my BMs and Axis locks are amazing/fast but do I really need that for EDC?
just thought I'd share that...
Well, maybe not for EDC, but it is a darn good knife to throw in your backpack and hit the woods. Actually, I don't EDC knives at all. At least not in the city...

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I don't EDC knives at all. At least not in the city...

That's why I love my Spyderco Endura. It's thin, light, and you forget it's there when you clip it in your front pocket. When you open it, it's big and comfortable. That ugly bump for the hole is actually a perfect thumb rest. The ugly duckling of EDC.

carryxq0.jpg