PEAK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Quick LiteFlux LF2X Review

Default My Quick LiteFlux LF2X Review

I received (3) of these several weeks ago and have been EDC'ing one of them ever since. My primary intent of the LF2X is for its ability to produce low level lighting. I keep this unit set at the lowest setting on P1 and something less than 50% (I'd estimate 20%-25%) on P2. For these tests, I used the default settings (P1 @ 15% and P2 @ 50%). None of these (3) lights arrived with any type of instructions or directions. I had to ask around on CPF and someone finally pointed me to a downloadable .PDF file. I must be honest, even with the instructions, I had one hell of a time programming this thing. With a bunch of help, I now know how to program P1 and P2 and how to reset the light to factory default. That's about all I'll ever need this light to do for my needs.

As others have already mentioned, the packaging was pretty nice, with a nice little supply of extras, including o-rings, split-ring, neck chain, pocket clip and key-chain connecting device. I love the pocket clip setup and have been using it from day one. The key-chain connecting device is a bit less impressive, mostly because it can (and will) come detached too easily. I've already mentioned the programming of this light was a mess for me. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but don't consider myself stupid either, but even after having the directions I was a bit confused. Now that I know how to set P1 and P2, I"m happy. That's the only thing I'll ever be configuring in this light. As with all my AAA and AA based lights, the Energizer E2 lithium (L92) is my preferred choice. I don't want or do I care for rechargeable cells, so the fact that the LF2X will run nicely on 10440's cells is pretty meaningless for me.

Here's the output of some of the testing that I've done so far. I've color-coded the legends so that each light has the same legend color in each for consistency. For example, Unit #1 is RED in each chart and even during multiple tests in a single chart. It better allows you to focus on a single light to see how it performs for each test.

This 1st chart shows how each of the (2) lights perform on the default P1 setting. P1 represents 15% output, per the folks at LiteFlux.

This 2nd chart shows how each of the (2) lights perform on the default P2 setting. P2 represents 50% output, per the folks at LiteFlux.

This 3rd chart is a blend of both charts, showing all the captured data up to this point. It should be easy to tell which plot in the chart represents alkaline vs. L92.

What really drew me into even getting the LF2X was its ability to produce low light. It's not the lowest I've even seen in a multi-level light, but it is for a 1 x AAA based light. Using that lowest level for dark-conditions is really nice for a variety of tasks. On P2, I'm set a bit brighter, but low enough where I have quite a bit of run-time available.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Default Re: My Quick LiteFlux LF2X Review

Nice graphs - thanks for your time and effort. The LF2X is very impressive with the L92 cell and P1 (15% output).

I like this light a lot since it can be both a long running emergency light and also bright when needed. I also find myself using the User mode a lot since it is easy and quick to adjust. I like varying the setting from the lowest output to something just below the 15% setting for use around the house.

The Netherlands - one foot below sea level

TIN,

As always, good stuff!
    And another incentive to start using Lithiums.
    I'm not sure I want the complicated UI of the LF, though.

Kees

Edited: typo
    The only light that counts, is the light you have with you.

The LF2X also has very impressive regulation from the graphs I have seen - as long as you are not running at an insane output level for an AAA light that drops the voltage of the battery under extreme load.

thanks for the runtimes TIN

two questions...

is the low lower then the NDI's low....(with 10440s, and alks?)
    hopefully one of you two NDIs is still working enough to test this..

does it get hot as fast as the LOD does with 10440s on 100%?

thanks!

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    thanks for the runtimes TIN

two questions...

is the low lower then the NDI's low....(with 10440s, and alks?)
    hopefully one of you two NDIs is still working enough to test this..

does it get hot as fast as the LOD does with 10440s on 100%?

thanks!

Crenshaw
    I'll check tonight. I only tried the 10440 for a few seconds.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

I have an LF2 SSC, not the LF2X, but I would bet that the low on the Liteflux is lower than the Nitecore, from reading reviews.

My LF2 SSC low is set at 1 lux @ 1 meter. This is about as low as I could get from the Novatac.

It is much lower than the NDI, much.
    01001100011010010111011001100101001000000110100101 10111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110 0100011000010111001001101011
    00101100000011010000101001100001011011100110010000 10000001110100011010000110010100100000011101110110 1111011100100110110001100100
    00100000011010010111001100100000011101000110100001 11001001100101011000010111010001100101011011100110 1001011011100110011100101110

I love this little light, and have it set (thanks to Khoo) to P1=lowest low and P2=100%. In hindsight, I should have had P2 set to something in between as the 100% level can be accessed easily enough, but I am easily too dumb to change it...the UI is complicated at best.

This is currently my EDC light...and works great as a nightstand light as well.

hey TIN, dont worry about it, mine arrived!

thanks for the answers guys, yup its truely, VERY much lower.

wow, if the guys who think the UI for the NDI could see the UI of the LF2..

just beginning to get the hang of it.

Crenshaw

A quick question: you comparative output scale; is it the same for every runtime test you do? For instance, is a rating of 2000 from your E01 graphs the same as 2000 on this graph?

Quote Originally Posted by rotototo View Post
    A quick question: you comparative output scale; is it the same for every runtime test you do? For instance, is a rating of 2000 from your E01 graphs the same as 2000 on this graph?
    Yes, absolutely. The only time that is not true (and I usually mention it in that particular review) is when metering very bright lights vs. these not-as-bright lights. In the case of those bright lights, I add a spacer to increase the distance between the light source and the data meter (~3" to ~6").

TIN, i hope its not too much trouble, but could you by any chance do a plot of the light going from lowest to highest, and from highest to lowest? because its really hard to tell when its at a certain level, with a graph like that, one could look for the %output you want, then look for the time...

thanks!

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    TIN, i hope its not too much trouble, but could you by any chance do a plot of the light going from lowest to highest, and from highest to lowest? because its really hard to tell when its at a certain level, with a graph like that, one could look for the %output you want, then look for the time...

thanks!

Crenshaw
    I'll have to check to see the minimum logging interval that my data logger is capable of. I've always kept it on 1-minutes intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    I'll have to check to see the minimum logging interval that my data logger is capable of. I've always kept it on 1-minutes intervals.
    thanks!

Crenshaw

Flashaholic*

I have a LF2 SSC as my keychain light and it has been a workhorse. Like TIN I wanted the low low and have mine set to just a hair above lowest as P1 and around 50% as P2 - which settings work great as a keychain light. I've had mine on my keychain now for around 6 months or so, at least, and have not babied it at all. It has travelled back and forth to NY for a few months getting banged around in all sorts of bags, pockets, etc... The HA is showing some wear but has held up extremely well given the hard use. Some wear on the edges and a few mars, that is it. I've been very pleased with this light on lithium primaries - for me it is the perfect step up from the Arc AAA that used to be on my keyring. Programming is a nuisance but the benefit is that once programmed you have a perfectly easy and intuitive two stage twisty, which is all I need in a keyring light. Really fantastic little lights and somewhat underrated - I think many are intimidated by the programming and should not be - it is perfectly usable right out of the box as a two stage twisty, with the benefit of being able to change those settings should you care to do so. I've gone back to my LF5 after a bit if a hiatus (was carrying my Jil JCR2 IT while travelling due to the really small size, along with the LF2) and it is also a great light.

Flashaholic

I don't post much, but I have been so impressed with my LF2X I have to voice my support for this great flashlight. I bought a Q4 LOD at the same time and did a lot of comparing between the two. Well, the LF2X is on my key chain and the LOD is on the shelf. The LF2X has a great beam -- very smooth, no rings at all. The output on a 10440 is awesome. It's not quite a bright as the LOD on a 10440, but it's pretty close and it heats up a lot slower than the LOD. Once you have set the levels you want, the UI is great. Setting the levels takes a bit of practice. What you have to know is that you need to switch from p1 to p2 etc really fast to activate various mode changing features. I was doing it too slow. Once I figured that out it was relatively easy. BTW mine came with an instruction sheet that was pretty good. The default settings are great, although I did have it set up for about 25% and 100% power for awhile. I like the 15% 50% defaults better though for longer battery life. My only gripe is the attachment mechanism. It's innovative, but it makes the flashlight a bit too long for my liking. So I took off all the attachment stuff and drilled a small hole in the side of the thingy that protrudes from the end of the flashlight and put a small split ring through it. It helps to have access to a good drill press to make that hole. My LF2X is now only tiny bit longer than an LOD. My dream would be for them to make a 10280 body for it with a small lug at the end for a split ring. Then it would be sort of like a Draco, but for a lot less money than a Draco. Anyway I am not complaining, it's small enough as it is and the extra battery capacity of the 10440 is nice. I have discovered that weight is as important as size for my EDC. I used to have a Orb Raw NS: fantastic EDC, but surprisingly heavy for its size. Anyway, sold it and used the money to buy the LF2X AND an LOD and have never looked back. Just got to figure out which lucky friend or relative gets the LOD.

Cheers,
    Neil
    In essentials, unity;
    In non-essentials, freedom;
    In all things, charity. Meldenius.

Flashaholic*

My LF2X has been found after well over a month of it being gone.
    The quick release did just that and it fell of my keychain in my car and rolled under the seat and slid into the adjustment track. My wife adjusted the seat forward and the light rolled out.
    The quick release needs to be locked out so that won't happen again, add that to the programming pains equate to my issues with the light. I'll lock it out and figure the programming out one of these days and have a great keychain light. Gripe fest over!
    The beam quality, color and output at 50% is very, very good and makes this light a keeper. (My wife said for over $60+ it had better be!) The snap-on defuser makes a great area light and it has long runtimes with the Eneloop I feed the thing. When I reprogram, I'll set it for about 2 lumens on low (3%?) and leave the default 50% for high to keep the runtime up and the heat down.
    The scallops on the barrel are cut in such a way to give grip without chewing up my keys or pocket. Next weekend I'll try to reprogram the low and start to enjoy my long lost light some more. My wife has already laid claim to the EO1 that was to replace the lost light so nothing is wasted.
    Overall, I am content with the LF2X as the warts can be overcome rather easily...better to learn a complex UI and mod the release than put up with bad HA3, poor beam quality, poor regulation, bad threads, LEDs off center etc.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

BentHead, this is what I did to avoid the problem and it works sufficiently well:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...&postcount=129

You can actually use any type of sticky thing, the problem is though that you lose the possibility of separating the two parts. In my case I attach the ring to a small shackle.

I have an LF2 that I really like for nightstand low light use. It is handy and has a nice beam. The low is really low.
    Has anyone used these Lightflux lights over a long period of time? I wondered how they hold up over time???

Flashaholic*

Thanks Kilovolt!,
    My main thing is to keep it on my keychain and I put two split rings on it to hold. Once I trash that setup, I'll do the tape thing so I can take it apart if needed. Thanks for the tip!
    One of these days I'll figure out hot to program this thing...one of these days.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Personally, I hated the LiteFlux UI - it's way too complex - I mean really - seven guess-at-a-quarter-turn Off-On cycles just to enter programming mode? That's flipping ridiculous! Not a well-thought-out control scheme, IMHO.

For an example of how to do a flashlight UI well, the JetBeam I.B.S. manages to simplify the programming of three pre-sets without losing any function, and also has a ~2-lumen low setting. Programming the settings is so simple that I change the levels ad-hoc depending on what I'm doing for a moment or two.

Maybe someday JetBeam will develop a real keychain light with their I.B.S. - that would be very nice.
    Last edited by FsTop; 05-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Flashaholic*

I can deal with the 'complicated' UI - I plan to set it and forget it.

My question is which light to get, the 2 or the 2X?

I prefer flood - it's smoother and easier for most tasks. However, when you need some throw, and all you have is flood, it just doesn't get it.

On the other hand, if you have throw (for when you need it) you can use it for close up tasks, too; it's just not as comfortable.

Those of you who have or are familiar with both, what do you recommend (besides the CPF motto of 'buy both')?

Quote Originally Posted by kitelights View Post

I prefer flood - it's smoother and easier for most tasks. However, when you need some throw, and all you have is flood, it just doesn't get it.

On the other hand, if you have throw (for when you need it) you can use it for close up tasks, too; it's just not as comfortable.

Those of you who have or are familiar with both, what do you recommend (besides the CPF motto of 'buy both')?
    I've never used/seen the 2, but I do like the 2x and would recommend it. I can't stand the method of programming it, but once I was done, it's good to go. My only intent with this light was to have a 1 x AAA based light capable of very low output and I got it with the LF2X. The fact that P2 is only a slight turn away for different level of lighting is just icing on the cake.

Flashaholic*

Does anyone know if after you program it to what you want, can the light be set back to default settings or "other settings" by accident? Like when a battery goes dead?

The reason I ask. Yesterday I was using the Novatac 120P and messed it up somehow to where only the low would come on temporary. It appeared to be in full tactical mode with forced setting on low. Anyway I had to get the manual out to learn how to fix it. Which was not difficult but if I had the light in an emergency and this happened without the manual, it would have been very sad.

Thanks,
    Rob

Flashaholic

LOL!
    Well, I have both and the "old" one has a little more flood indeed. The LF2X is brighter and has additional features as well as an excellent HAIII-finish.
    If you want to wear it on your key chain I would nevertheless suggest the old one. It's bright enough, it's a few millimeters shorter and the colour is a deep black compared to the more grey LF2X.
    Also the LF2X's screw-on cap could sit a little tighter...

Quote Originally Posted by kitelights View Post

I have used all variants. I have actually done a comparison review between all of them, including beam profile comparisons in the thread linked from my signature.

I prefer the beam pattern of the LF2x best of them all -- perfect for what you describe (a light with throw when you need it, but still usable up close). The reflector is deep textured -- this produces a smooth beam pattern, and a hotpsot that is big and bright, with a narrow spill angle -- I personally don't like lights with wide spill.

You can reset it to factory defaults: ten Off-On cycles.

Your settings will last through a battery change.

The complexity issue is a real SOB if the switch is even a little bit dirty or flaky - programming becomes extremely annoying if it misses any of the 15 or 20 necessary Off/P1/P2 state-changes for any reason.

I have both the LF2 SSC and the LF2X CREE. For general use like key chain I prefer the SSC output because it has a wider beam while throw is still more than acceptable. Personally I do not expect a key chain EDC light to be a thrower.

Flashaholic*

Subjective definition. My reference point is a CR2 Ion for all flood and 98% usage on low. I wear it around my neck at night. If I check my cat's water bowl, I can't see the level from 5-6 feet away with the Ion while I can with a more traditional light. I'm at an age where my eyes require much more light than they used to to see.

I think the beam on a LOD is great for most purposes, but the PWM really bothers me. Even an ARC AAA produces enough throw for me, so it's not that I'm expecting this light to throw like an AA Nitecore or Rexlight, etc. I just want it to have more than my Ion.

Trinity, I can't see any pics in your review, but the review was great. Unlike you, I do prefer a wider beam. A good point of reference for me would be the LOD. I wouldn't want less spill.

Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast