Since when are all C cell Mag's black?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I went web browsing for a 2 C Mag today to see what was available, and it seems they're all black. :thumbsdow Maglite's own page only shows black. All the online stores I looked only have black ones. The D cell Mag's are available in all sorts of colors, but not the C's. :sigh:

When did this happen? :thinking:

flange938

Newly Enlightened
Home Depot Sometimes has purple or pewter in 2C's. I don't think anything
else is being made currently, The C's are probably more popular with modders than the general public. I found the purple to have the worst annodizing I've ever seen on a Mag, mine has fingerprints etched thru to the bare metal.The pewter is quite nice,when you can find it.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Yup, purple & pewter are the only color Mag Cs I've seen. pewter Mag2C & pewter Mag3C are the only colored ones I've ever been able to buy.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went to at least one of about every local store that sells flashlights on my way home (2 Home Depot's, Lowes, 2 Meijer's, 2 Target's, Walmart, ****'s, & Gander Mountain), and Home Depot was the only store that even sold any C cell Mag's. :ohgeez:

I saw Pewter 2 C's at Home Depot, and that was it. :sigh:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
IFAIK, with the exception of some "special" runs for certain clients (i.e. Lowes), "C" cell Maglites have only been offerred in black.
I did not realize that. I thought they offered all the lights in different colors. :whistle:

I guess you can learn something new everyday. :eek:oo:

willrx

Enlightened
In addition to what's been mentioned, there have been other colors offered. I purchased this from a fellow CPF'r:
Green3CMag001.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stereodude, I also remember the days many years ago when you could walk into Kmart or whatever and they'd have a ton of Maglites, C cells in purple, orange, green, whatever. Unfortunately they haven't been available for a long time now unless you look around. As mentioned, Lowe's, Home Depot, ect. sometimes carries Maglites in C in other colors than black, but it's usually just a couple other colors like pewter or red. Not much variety anymore in the larger Mags.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mix up a black "C" Mag with a Pewter "C" Mag, by switching heads, bezels and tailcaps, you wind up with a surprisingly classy looking pair of flashlights...:whistle:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to hit up a few more stores (REI, ACO Hardware & ACE Hardware) today, but I'm not holding my breath for finding anything. :(

Cydonia

Enlightened
Stereodude, I also remember the days many years ago when you could walk into Kmart or whatever and they'd have a ton of Maglites, C cells in purple, orange, green, whatever. Unfortunately they haven't been available for a long time now unless you look around. As mentioned, Lowe's, Home Depot, ect. sometimes carries Maglites in C in other colors than black, but it's usually just a couple other colors like pewter or red. Not much variety anymore in the larger Mags.

That's interesting. Maybe they are selling way fewer Mag's today?
They discontinued the 5 and 6 C just a couple of years ago...
Maybe one day soon we'll find out they stopped making 5 and 6D's...

Only place I've seen any C size Mag up here in Canada has been Home Depot... only the 2C size... pewter and black. And for double the price as USA - meaning $27.99 :green:

Hey Stereodude, how much do the 2C's sell for in stores down there? It's about $15 right?

I don't like silver or pewter color in anything... I think it's bound to get dated pretty bad, like all the other ugly decadal color schemes...sort of cheap and tacky feel to it... imitation Silver... only black will stand the test of time and look good.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only ever seen D-cell Mags carried at the REI flagship store in Seattle, and at our local ACE Hardware stores. I hope you find some though!
I went to Kmart, ACE, ACO, REI, and Murray's Auto. The local ACE had 2 and 3 C cell Mags, but in black only and they were $22 so I passed. ACO & Murray's didn't even sell Mags. REI and Kmart only had 2D's. :mecry:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting. Maybe they are selling way fewer Mag's today?
They discontinued the 5 and 6 C just a couple of years ago...
Maybe one day soon we'll find out they stopped making 5 and 6D's...
I suspect they're well on their way toward discontinuing all C cell Mags.
Only place I've seen any C size Mag up here in Canada has been Home Depot... only the 2C size... pewter and black. And for double the price as USA - meaning $27.99 :green:
I only saw C cell mags here at a local hardware store (2 cell & 3 cell) and at Home Depot (2 cell). No other store had any of them.
Hey Stereodude, how much do the 2C's sell for in stores down there? It's about $15 right?
$14.97 + tax. :naughty:
I don't like silver or pewter color in anything... I think it's bound to get dated pretty bad, like all the other ugly decadal color schemes...sort of cheap and tacky feel to it... imitation Silver... only black will stand the test of time and look good.
Heh... I only have C & D Mag's in Silver and Pewter. I personally don't care for the black. I think it looks bland. :nana:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the other reason I went with a 2D vs a 3C. I had to have red; magic air be damned. :D
I stopped by Home Depot and got a Pewter 2C. I'll hold onto it and use it for this Li-Ion ROP unless I find something else better along the way. I don't need no stinking magic air in my light. :crackup:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black is the new HA III!

Don't you mean Type II anodizing.

I have a beautiful GOLD color 2-C maglight. You use to be able to obtain them in all the colors of that the D cells were available in.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I suspect they're well on their way toward discontinuing all C cell Mags.

Yeah... I get that feeling too. Makes sense... I just discovered C Mag's as awesome hosts for mods + a super form factor... so that's about right, yeah, discontinue em' now. Typical. Buy 3 & 4C's while you can maybe?

I'd love to see M*g manufacturing stats. Bet their #1 seller is the 3D mag and MiniMag. Lowest sellers must be the 3 and 4 C's... then the 5 and 6 D's... that's my guesstimate. I wouldn't shed a tear to see the 5 and 6D's discontinued though.