Beam diffuser material?

FsTop

Enlightened
I have a couple of high-output LED torches that have too hot a hot-spot, a few ring artifacts, and not enough spill for my taste.

Can anyone recommend some self-adhesive vinyl-like orange-peel material that I could cut to fit the lens, which would add moderate diffusion of the beam, and still be heat-resistant against melting onto the lens?

I want to add it to a JetBeam Jet-1 Mk-IBS, for example, to make it more HDS-like, so it needs to be pretty heat-resistant, with 225 lumens...

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a free sample of optical grade (Motion Picture grade) filters.
Get it from LEE and or Roscoe filters ONline.
The sample packs are free.
The Diffusion can be applied under the lens or on the lens.
It can also be layered between two peices of glass creating a very high quality filter.
Anyway if you go to the online sites of those companies and fill in the request form they will send you Free filter sample packs in which you willfind at least 10 different types of diffusion ranging from very lite to very heavy. Pick the one which works best for you and make a filter for the flashlight.

Oh and if it is heat that yopu are worried about? This filter material is designed to work with very hot tungston and HMI lights rated at 5 and 10 thousand watts. they create a hell of a lot of heat and the filters handle it without burning up the light from either a incandescant or led will not be enough to dammage this filter material.
Give these sample filters a try they are free and you have nothing to loose...
Yaesumofo

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
Adhesive is going to be harder to find. The Theatrical filters like Roscoe are designed to sit in a frame in front of the light source (so they can be changed out). Obviously this wont work on a flashlight, but you wont need much to hold the thin film in place.

Don't worry about melting or changes in the optical properties. I've seen colored filters last over a year of frequent use under a 1000w fresnel, and I've never seen a frost (diffuser) go bad.

Do go ahead and get a sample pack so you at least you know what your dealing with, if you don't find what you need in the samples.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
I bought some great diffuser material from CPF member waynejitsu a few months back. It sticks right on the lens (inside or outside). It isn't really adhesive since it leaves no residue but sticks on nicely. (kind of like colorforms - anyone old enough to remember them?) It was a great product at a great price.

You can PM him to see if he has more for sale.

optodoofus

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the size of the light. HDS made a KIT for their edc series which is available at lighthound (maybe they still have it) which contains a diffusion drop in for 20mm heads. It works very well.
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
All true.
A peice of diffusion can be round cut and inserted under the lens for good diffusion and a long lasting setup.
Yaesumofo

Adhesive is going to be harder to find. The Theatrical filters like Roscoe are designed to sit in a frame in front of the light source (so they can be changed out). Obviously this wont work on a flashlight, but you wont need much to hold the thin film in place.

Don't worry about melting or changes in the optical properties. I've seen colored filters last over a year of frequent use under a 1000w fresnel, and I've never seen a frost (diffuser) go bad.

Do go ahead and get a sample pack so you at least you know what your dealing with, if you don't find what you need in the samples.

GregWormald

Enlightened
Those slim CD/DVD cases have a lightly pebbled area that makes a fine diffuser. Cut a circle the diameter of the *output* area of the reflector with 3 little ears that are just larger than the inside of the bezel. The diffuser will 'click' into place on top of the lens with the ears fitting into the O-ring recess. Removable with a fingernail.
Greg

litho123

Enlightened
I have several 2" x 2" squares in 3 types of diffusion gel sheets.

I've used them to soften up the hotspot / increase sidespill.
The linear diffusion sheet is very interesting to play with.
Handle with care. It's easy to rub off the diffusion stuff off the surface of the gel sheet if you're not careful.

They're left overs from a project, so they're free if you want them.

Just PM me your mailing addy and I'll get them in the mail to you.

Latest posts