Which NovaTac? P or T?

Brigadier

Enlightened
My stimulus check is going to buy me a NovaTac. I just don't know which one to get - a P or a T. I have read the User Guides to both[still studying them], and the P seems awfully complicated.:sigh:

What I am looking for is a light that no matter what mode I am in - say low for navigating the house at night, I can go instantly tactical full output, even strobe, NOW! if the need arises.

From what I gather, the T will do that[momentary maximum]. Will the P?:candle:

TIA

:popcorn:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I would go with the 120P. I believe that it will be one of the most versatile lights that you will ever buy. You can program the "P'' model to mimic the settings of a ''T''. Go ahead and buy it, you wont regret it.

-Aaron

Edit:It wont take you long to learn the UI once you have the light in hand.

Last edited:

kromeke

Enlightened
The P can do everything the T can do and more. It all depends on how you program it.

The settings can also be "locked" once it is programmed to how you like it. A reset will "unlock" it such that it can be reprogrammed (P model only).

The T model has its settings and cannot be changed.

I've got a P and wouldn't have it any other way, provided one can get it at a good price.

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
Ok so the 120P out of the box is programmed as follows:

Click: Turn on to Primary (10 Lumens)

From ON
1. Two Clicks: Toggle between Secondary (30 Lumens) and Primary (10 Lumens)
2. Three Clicks: Minimum (0.3 Lumens)
3. Press (and hold) while ON: Momentary Maximum (120 Lumens)
4. Click-Press: Maximum (120 Lumens)
5. Click: Turn off

From OFF
1. Click-Press: Maximum (120 Lumens)

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Speaking as a complete Novatac Newbie myself, yes, the P series can seem rather overwhelming.....

....for about 10 minutes....

once you get the hang of it, it's remarkably intuitive

Here's the Cliffs Notes version of Novatac setup

there are four programmable slots, each designated by a distinct click pattern;

Click
Double Click
Triple Click
Click-Press

any light level can be assigned to any slot, as can the SOS, and Strobe modes

there are two programming commands;
Click-Click-Press; sets the light level and/or strobe modes
Click-Click-Click-Press; enters the option menu to set things like the Beacon, SOS, Find-Me flash, and menu lockout

to program the light levels, click to the slot you want to program, then Click-Click-Press, the brightness will ramp upward in distinct steps, when you get the light level you want, stop, and turn the light off to set that level

to program menu options, Click-Click-Click-Press and release the button when the LED flashes in Beacon mode (1 flash per second), click the button to step through the modes, when you find the one you want to enable or disable, hold in the button, if you are enabling the option, the light will go dim-to-bright, then to on, if you are disabling the option, the light will go bright to dim, then on

it sounds more complicated written out than it really is, the versatility of the P series is unmatched, you can set up the P to mimic the behavior of the T, lock out the menus and you're good to go, if you ever want to change settings, just perform a factory reset and set it up however you want

the P's versatility is worth it

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
If you wanted instant access to full or strobe you could quite easilly set the light like this

1 Click: Turn on into 10 lumens or whatever you want
2 Clicks: Maximum 120
3 Clicks: Strobe
Click-Press: Really low 0.3

The possibilities are endless.....

Brigadier

Enlightened
Ok so the 120P out of the box is programmed as follows:

Click: Turn on to Primary (10 Lumens)

From ON
1. Two Clicks: Toggle between Secondary (30 Lumens) and Primary (10 Lumens)
2. Three Clicks: Minimum (0.3 Lumens)
3. Press (and hold) while ON: Momentary Maximum (120 Lumens)
4. Click-Press: Maximum (120 Lumens)
5. Click: Turn off

From OFF
1. Click-Press: Maximum (120 Lumens)

Not very tactically friendly under a stressfull situation. Click-Press from OFF to Maximum is one too many operations under stress.

Looks like the T is what I am looking for. Defensive capabilities FIRST, fu-fu modes second.

Thanks for all the info.

houtex

Enlightened
I own two 120T's. I like being able to go right to full blast bright on the first click. Clicking thru to get to the lower modes is easy though I rarely have a need to use the low modes. The T is cheaper,plus you can change out to the flat tailcap of the P.

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
I see what you mean about the manual sounding scary, but I really think it would be very easy to set one click from off go into max 120.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
the P can be programmed any way you like. low low first, or maximum first. note that all 4 settings can be programmed, so "Maximum" could be set to low low, and the strobe can be changed to max. its all good, whats not to like? :)

i have 2 120Ps.

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
My 120P is set up thusly;

Click; .08 Lumens
Double-Click; 10 lumens
Triple-Click; 30 Lumens
Click-Press; 120 Lumens

I basically reversed the factory order, I want the light to come on ultra-low and adjust upward as needed

Thats pretty much how I am planning on setting up mine. But having 120 on the first click could be good sometimes. Perhaps they could complicate things further and have a number of memory banks in future versions :duh2:

Like from off, click turns on settings bank A or press turns on settings bank B.

Im only half serious BTW

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Not very tactically friendly under a stressfull situation. Click-Press from OFF to Maximum is one too many operations under stress.

Looks like the T is what I am looking for. Defensive capabilities FIRST, fu-fu modes second.

Thanks for all the info.

The P can have max as the very first mode and have strobe available with a press-hold, if that's what you want. Max (or any level or function) can be any, all or none of the 4 modes - that's the beauty of it. If you decide ti use your light in a different fashion in a year or so, just reprogram it accordingly.

kromeke

Enlightened
The P can be set up with one level, two levels, three levels or 4 levels. (Or "slots" as MacTech called them)

It can be set up to come on at the brightest level or the lowest. It is extremely flexible.

Want one level, program all slots for the same setting. Two levels, no problem. Want one level and a strobe, can do.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Does the P have a momentary on capability ala SureFire style? Or is it a click only. For tactical uses, momentary on without an audible click is desireable.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
It can be programmed that way, yes, and the programmablew switch does emit a faint click when pressed, but it's almost inaudible, it is a forward clicky though, and must be pressed fully to activate the light, unlike a tactical switch which can be partially pressed for light

the T's tactical tailcap is compatible with the P, so you could purchase a P and a tactical tailcap if you'd like

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
As others have mentioned, the P can be set up just like a T if you want.

One thing to consider though, is that in my experience, the P models have a little bit of flicker and pulsing when switching between high and low modes. The pulsing appears to be random, which makes a me a little nervous about the reliability of the circuit.

At the moment I have a 120 E that doesn't pulse and feels rock solid. It's less flexible and I wish the low were lower, but I don't worry about it either. I have a 85p that rarely, rarely pulses and is more fun to play with too...