Throw: Lens VS Reflector

Nos

Enlightened
after changing a lot reflector for aspheric lenses i realized that throw and total output are allmost unchanged. only the beam itself is different.

short: does a well shaped reflector or a aspheric lens of the same diameter throw further?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think focus length(for the lens) and depth(for the reflector) is also a factor.

Besides that, I don't know much more.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey Nos, what have you tried?

my tiablo definetly outthrows my Tk10..

Crenshaw

Supernam

Enlightened
The optic is going to throw farther because pretty much all of the light from the emitter has to go through the optic. The collected light is the projected forward in a beam that is determined by the design and focus of the optic.

With a reflector, no matter how great the depth to width ratio, there will be light from the emitter that does not hit any of the reflector surface. This is the light that we call "spill". For maximum throw purposes, this light is in a sense wasted instead of contributing to the hotspot.

Nos

Enlightened
i modded a T1 with a 30 diameter aspheric, and a Q2 warmwhite emitter and was a bit disappointed that i only got 17000 lux :scowl:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The thing with an optic is that unless the LED has the right pattern or the the Optic has a focus point of 0, then some light will be lost to the inside of the bezel.

If you have a small optic with a long focal point, not much of the light will be collected.

RA can explain a lot better, seeing as he is an optic engineer.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing with an optic is that unless the LED has the right pattern or the the Optic has a focus point of 0, then some light will be lost to the inside of the bezel.

If you have a small optic with a long focal point, not much of the light will be collected.

RA can explain a lot better, seeing as he is an optic engineer.

Lots of light is lost with a reflector, too.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes, you are correct. I've heard an average of 30-35% loss with reflectors + windows("lenses").

Optics seem to be the most efficient at 80-90% but many don't have spill.

Lenses will depend on the diameter, focus length, and material.