• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Introducing Elephant II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
100_1569.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1572.jpg

Hi folks,
This is not a sale or presale thread and I don't accept payment now but just introducing new upcoming product and would like to know your opinion.
Here are actual pictures of new design fat body (Elephant II) which is CNC machined from 6061 solid bar and involved with lot of machine work to accomodate 4x18mm in square form which is pretty large but still easy to grab even with small hands.
Switch housing and front threads are same as original FM fat body and excellent to accomodate this type switch.
Outside of switch housing is finned to cool down extreme heat caused by high wattage bulb and switch rubber boot is recessed to prevent accidental switching.
Can accept all FM3 heads, 3.5" and even M*g "D" head.
Battery holder can accept 4x18650 and/or 8x18650 in series. That means, you can add provided extension center rod and spacer to convert 4x18650 to 8x18650 or remove it back to 4x18650
Tail cap, extension tubes and battery holders are NOT compatible with original Elephant.
Each body comes with one extension, tail cap, tail spring, battery holder, o'rings and switch rubber cover. No head, no switch or any extra option comes with body.
Will be available in black, red and chrome but possible few other colors later.
Pricing:
Bare aluminum $150
Polished bare aluminum $165
Black HA and red HA will be $190 and chrome will be much more and unknown at this time.
[size=+3]Sale thread of Elephant II is here.[/size]
Any comment welcome.

Last edited:

GLOCK18

Enlightened
:wow:
Exactly what I've been looking for, finally a good use of my FM3 head, I'm in for a red one with extensions. That's an amazing amount of machine and custom work!

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell gyeah :cool: ... What about a 4S2P setup for extended runtimes?

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OMG! :eek:oo: And I thought FiveMega was fading out. Well this comes out with a number of desired features discussed in several other projects that may in turn now need to be re-assessed. There is no question regarding the "FiveMega" quality reputation. Do you have a timeline on these?

Making these compatible with Mag heads, including FM 3" and stock Maglite switches, and the heat finning, recessed switch are very well thought out. The square grip is clever, while still accommodating quad wide 18650, which is a key size for the new safe chemistry Emoli cells.

I notice the beautiful new FM3-VH design combination. Please make some in HA Blue & that new HA Gold color you did recently. I love how you "slipped" those new heads in! :drool:

Couple of questions....just out of curiosity, were these machined out of some kind of thick aluminum tubes to get the unique square shape? I'm trying to imagine how time consuming it must have been to mill them.

For those prices, you are including one extension that allows 8 x 18650 cells, correct? Can you make extra sections in case we want to use 12 cells? How does the balance of light feel in 8 cell extension setup?

How do the 2nd set of cells attach to first set? I'm trying to see if it is similar to your previous holders where you would include a separate cell "pass through" plastic guide and a longer rod, & if the aluminum bottom has a center threading to screw on top of first set post...trying to imagine adequate conduction contact & keeping cell polarity. It might be great to be able to do a 2s2p or 4s2p setup...but not critical. You may also want to consider the older 3 wide holder to allow more flexibility of voltages.

Looking at your prototype photos, it looks like the black extension is round...which is probably smart in terms of the difficulty aligning if both sections 1 & 2 were square. Wondering if there will be the past issues of HA shade mis-matching for sections. Well that's all the questions I can think of right now.

Again, just amazing how these came out of nowhere !!!

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
My brain can't cope with the square verses round extention.

But in a 4 x 18650 it looks nice. The finned switch is a good Idea.

I preffer the first designs of heads and elephant bodies and less so as they progress, BUT, I think I will buy one anyway in black If I can snagg one, and sell the extention, its just a little to out there for me.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW....several new cool stuffs in 2 days...:clap::clap::clap:

My first foot was in, now BOTH are in. :grin2:

How about go GREEN with the Elephant II???

Thanks,
Tanasit

PS. LuxLuthor good eye there and exactly what I'll call: the beautiful new FM3-VH design combination

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! I'll definitely be in for one in red.

1S4P, 2S2P, 2S4P, 4S2P and 12 cell options would be nice (unless you - or AW - have a regulated switch up your sleeve as well).

Cleanly stripping the anodizing off those tailcaps has got to be one tedious job.

Last edited:

plasmaman

Enlightened
Great job Varooj!!:thumbsup:

2 questions
How about some more colours in HA eg Lime Green, Purple, Orange....? (OK I know....but I think they are cooool!)
What is the diameter (ignoring the cells themselves) and overall length of the 18650 holder??

John

chuck614

Newly Enlightened
What are the internal dimensions of the battery tube? (WxHxL) Thanks

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a timeline on these?
As I mentioned before, these are actual product pictures and not prototype. I will open up a new sale thread when at least few colors become available.
just out of curiosity, were these machined out of some kind of thick aluminum tubes to get the unique square shape?
These are lathe and mill machined from 2-1/4" solid round bar. Yes, lot of time consuming work and I think reasonable price.

For those prices, you are including one extension that allows 8 x 18650 cells, correct?
That's correct.
Can you make extra sections in case we want to use 12 cells?
Depends on demand, everything is possible.
How does the balance of light feel in 8 cell extension setup?
Similar to 6x18650 in original fat FM but slightly heavier.

How do the 2nd set of cells attach to first set?
Imagine same battery holder of serial 8AA that square cener rod is 2 pieces. Simply unscrew and remove upper part of center rod from main part also remove plastic center spacer. Now, short center rod will allow you to use only 4x18650 as you see in picture.
You may also want to consider the older 3 wide holder to allow more flexibility of voltages.
Some dummy cells will do the job will less expenses.

it looks like the black extension is round.
There is no point of making square extension tube because you grab main body part for operation and not extension. However, it is possible to make square extensions.

Again, just amazing how these came out of nowhere !!!
I prefer deliver actual item rather than talk.
---
How about go GREEN with the Elephant II???

Black and read are easy to match but there will be more color options when hads become ready to anodize togeter with bodies in same time and same tank.
[size=+1]Chrome[/size] and [size=+1]gold[/size] plated possible but not a promise.
Guess why they are in large size fonts.

---
It's good to see that you are listening to CPF'ers on WHAT IS MISSING? thread.
That was the main idea of mentioned thread.
---
1S4P, 2S2P, 2S4P, 4S2P and 12 cell options would be nice.
(3.7V, 8800mAh) I assume that is for long run P7
---
What is the diameter (ignoring the cells themselves) and overall length of the 18650 holder??

Battery holder is square shape with rounded corners, diameter of 47mm and length of 84mm from positive nipple to negative spring seat.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is amazing. Really amazing. The machine work is impressive enough on it's own without thinking of the possabilities when running eight 18650s.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you going to offer the reflector too? How much for the complete light in red as seen on the picture?

AlexGT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.