The $9 6P Clone... WF-501B

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I received this inexpensive clone the other day from DX, and at least IMHO its not all that bad. I took it out for a night-hike last night, and I think this light can really hold its own against lights that cost more. I was comparing it to my 6P+DX11836-CreeR2 for the evening, so that has kind of become my reference point for comparison.

Throughout the night I swapped back and forth between the OEM Xenon module and a DX6090-CreeP4. It easily handled both modules like a champ, dissipating a lot of heat from both, and keeping the P4 LED cool running over extended use. So I can confidently say this light will host both DX/BOG sized LED modules as well as the smaller Surefire P60L shape designs. That was really my intent, to use it as a host for my DX6090... But its the Xenon performance that really kind of surprised me.

Heres my video review,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD34YvaGMoo

Heres the DX page,
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.903

Here are my Cheers - Jeers...

CHEERS
-Cheap... VERY Cheap. Its the same price as a AA Minimag Incan, and half the price of a 2D Mag Incan.
-Durable. I dropped it twice this weekend with the DX6090 module, from waist-high. Once on the linoleum floor it landed on the bezel, and the second time it landed flat in its side on the hard tile floor. The bezel has a scuff mark from hitting the ceramic tile, but it functions just fine.
-Very bright, and a nice mix of throw and flood and a smooth transition between the two. As far as lumens & ceiling bounce tests go, its somewhere in between my DX11836 and DX6090 drop in modules, but closer to the 11836.
-Accepts DX/BOG shaped drop ins as well as standard Surefire P60L
-Tight fitting O-rings that are water tight all around. Those who lube well will be rewarded, those who don't will be punished.
-Glass Lens. Although its not removable, so if it cracks I think you'll just have to buy a new light.
-Lighter than my 6P, yet still feels solid. It doesn't feel as cheap as my Task Force.
-Switch-cap is air/water tight
-Decent heat-sinking
-Decently well machined, NO WHERE near as crudely machined as my Lowes Task Force. Almost on-par with my Nuwai lights.
-Decently smooth threads. Again not as smooth as Nuwai, and no where near as luxurious as a Surefire... but considerably cleaner cut than Lowes Task Force. Silicone grease works great.
-Reverse clicky pressure is just about right not too hard and not too soft and it works just fine out of the box.
-Water tight switch cap.
-9Volt Xenon module Accepts RCR123 as well as Primary cells.

JEERS
-Cells rattle a lot, although theres probably enough room for a single 17mm diameter cell. Others have commented that 18650 cell does not fit. **edit** I measured the body tube inner diameter with a caliper and my light measures 19.25mm across, so unless your particular 18650 is bigger than 19mm it should fit in this light.
-OEM Xenon module has a LOT of scratches in the OP finish. This was a real bummer, and probably my biggest complaint. Theres literally patches of area where the metallic coating has been scraped off.
-Large spring on the Xenon module is cut very crudely. It gives a strange scraping kind of feel against the body as you tighten down the bezel. At first I thought it was the threads and O-ring, but its the spring on the module. This can be alleviated with a better quality drop in module.
-Strange texture finish around the bezel. Its finished like an old Vinyl record, with small grooves cut around it. IMHO they should have just left it smooth.
-The retaining ring in my switchcap had to be tightened a 1/2 turn, they should have done this at the factory.
-Window glass in the bezel is not water tight.
-Anti-roll bezel grooves are too small, so it will easily roll ff a table thats not flat.
-Mine came with a couple small scuff marks and scratches around the bezel. I was able to fix them with a sharpie pen, but that will probably wear off at some point. I know its free, but DX really should pack some of their shipments better. I for one would be willing to pay for it.

For $9.71, I think I got my $$$s worth and I do think this light can compare favorably with lights that cost a little more like the Lowes Task Force, Ray-O-Vac sportsman or the Eveready 1AA at Target. Its definitely brighter than all 3, although the Task Force will out throw it by just a little. If you are like me and have an extra LED module waiting around for a nice home, and are on a tight budget, this is a serviceable P60 host.

The scratches on the OEM reflector are inexcusable, and its my biggest complaint.

Thanks!! and enjoy the vid!!

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Strange texture finish around the bezel. Its finished like an old Vinyl record, with small grooves cut around it. IMHO they should have just left it smooth.

well I believe this is a sign or machined aluminum from bar stock and not from MIME part....old style worksmanship.

BTW some versions of the flashlight do have a o-ring in the bezel...

You are right it is a winner...and 3 freinds have one each as introductory flashlight to CR123 lights.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
DX has these lights listed at $15.89 now. Maybe you got one before they realized what people would be willing to pay.

optodoofus

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having a tough time calling this a "6P clone". I own one myself and so far the only 2 things it has in common with a 6P are that it uses a P60 type light engine/module and that it accepts 2 CR123 batteries. Aside from those 2 things, that is where the commonalities stop. No wonder there has been such a debate here about actual Surefire 6Ps and "clones" because apparently some people consider any black colored 2xCR123 P60 based flashlight a "6P clone".

To me, there are only 3 or 4 actual 6P clones out there:

The Solarforce L2
http://www.solarforce.hk/PRD/content.jsp?id=5.1&template=b.tmp.html

The G&P T6
http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=1366

Spiderfire X03
http://www.spider-fire.com/modules/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=86

Cabella's XPG (actually and OEM G&P T6)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...mode+matchall&trueNum=44&N=4958&redirect=true

All of the above are fully parts compatible with a Surefire 6P and in the case of the Solarforce and Spiderfire, almost literally clone a 6P in design. I have a few Solarforce L2s and 1 Cabella's XPG and I can say that their quality is decently good. I also own a couple of Surefire 6Ps and one 6PD, so I pretty much give in to my flashaholism. So while I think the Ultrafire is a decent basic 2xCR123/P60 flashlight, I can't consider it a "6P clone".