FCW-4 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party: FCW-4 Flashaholics Camping Weekend! :grouphug:

UPDATE: 9/24/08 - FCW-4 HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO RAIN. THE NEW DATE IS: 6/18-21/09

FCW-4 is the 4th Flashaholics Camping Weekend, which is open to anyone who would like to attend!

Due to the overwhelming positive response from the first three FCW's, it's time for FCW-4! And so, I bring you the details of FCW-4.

WHEN: September 26th, 27th and 28th, 2008. Check in time on Friday 9-26-08 is stated at no earlier than 3pm as per Hickory Run, but I think anytime after 12:00 should be fine. Check out is on Sunday 9-28-08 by 3pm. September is a good time for camping, it's cool enough to enjoy a campfire, and less buggy than the summer months, and that weekend was also chosen due to it's proximity to a new moon, meaning it should be extra dark out!

:candle: So two nights, or if you can only make it for one that's fine, or if you don't want to stay over night, then you can come and hang out, stay for some campfire cooked hot dogs, and leave whenever. One night or two, the price is $15 per person.

WHERE: The first two FCW's were at Hickory Run State Park in PA, which proved to be a great venue. Then just for a change of scenery we went to Jenny Jump State Forest in NJ for FCW-3. For FCW-4 we are back by popular demand to Hickory Run State Park, and we even have the same great location, sites 1-5 and 24, 26, 29. Here is a link to the campground map: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/hickoryrun/hickoryrun_camp.pdf

For anyone not familiar with Hickory Run, it is one of the premier state parks on the east coast. And we will be staying in arguably the nicest sites in the park. I've booked the whole area, which gives us privacy from other campers, yet still keeps us within a reasonable (walk able) proximity to the modern flush toilet equipped bathrooms and trash dumpster.

Hickory Run offers many hiking trails, fishing lakes and streams, a FROLF course (frisbee golf), waterfalls, and a natural wonder, Bolder Field, which is a National landmark. Please check out the Hickory Run website for more info: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/hickoryrun.aspx

WHO: While this event is created for CPF members, anyone is welcome.

COST: :broke: The cost will be only $23 per person for the whole weekend! Everyone is responsible for there own food/drink.

EQUIPEMENT: :shrug: If you don't have a tent you can get one on sale at Wal-Mart for $29.99, or buddy up with someone who has a tent. And of course you'll need to bring a flashlight! Bring your own food and drink, and everything you will need to spend a few nights out in the woods. Nothing will be provided. The $23 secures the reservation and payment of the camp sites.

WHAT IF I FORGET SOMETHING: :drool: No problem, there is a small "general store" located at within the park. You should be able to find most items you will need there, including toilet paper and even ice cream!

SPEAKING OF TOILET PAPER: :cool: Don't worry they do have clean modern flush toilet bathrooms with running water at the park, and they are within walking distance to our camp sites.

CELL PHONES: Yes, cell phones work fine from the camp site.
WHAT TO DO: :popcorn: Well along with the usual camping agenda of relaxing by a campfire, roasting marshmallows, etc., we just might play with some flashlights! LOL We could go on a hike, or better yet a night hike (just don't go and get lost this time... you know who you are! LOL

:drunk: Hickory Run is a state park, and therefore there is no alcohol allowed... officially. So, if you really want a drink, please do it very discreetly, and just know that if the park ranger does catch you, you he will ticket you and ask you to leave the park.
:whoopin:

For a whole bunch more information and some pictures from the first three FCW's check out those threads.

:caution: Please note that space is limited, and to assure your reservation you need to send me the $23 per person ASAP. Please do so by sending me a PM here on CPF, and I will PM you back with either my snail mail address or my paypal address, so that you can secure your spot for what will surely be an awesome weekend!

--Tim (KartRacer31)

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here is the official reservations list for the FCW-4 campout.

If your name is on this list it means I have received or are awaiting to receive your payment, and you have a reserved spot for the campout.

Please PM me for either my snail mail address or my pay pal address to send payment.

I'll continue to update this list in new posts throughtout this thread.

:caution: Space will be limited, so if you want to go sign up soon!

KartRacer31 - 1
Luxlover - 1 (awaiting funds)

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
Where is TOOCOOL? When you first posted the details of PF10, Tim, I beat him to the punch as the first respondent by a few short minutes and he cried publicly in his disgruntled post. :mecry: He is nowhere to be found now. I trust that he will be beating himself up when he sees me in front of him again. "How much can one man endure?" is my question! :popcorn:

Jeff

Last edited:

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
Where is TOOCOOL? When you first posted the details of PF10, Tim, I beat him to the punch as the first respondent by a few short minutes and he cried publicly in his disgruntled post. :mecry: He is nowhere to be found now. I trust that he will be beating himself up when he sees me in front of him again. "How much can one man endure?" is my question! :popcorn:

Jeff

I think having you in front of me is preferable to having you behind me :nana:
I am sure I will be attending but the dates have to be checked by the boss first :rolleyes:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM sent. I'm IN!

edit: I see that chainsaws are not allowed. Darn it! I suppose I'll just bring a real axe this time. Perhaps a sledge and wedges too.

Last edited:

Stan671

Enlightened
Put me down for 5 people in 2 or 3 tents. I am going to try to convince my daughter to come along this time.

The Hickory Run sites are really nice. There is a stream running right beside the site for a wonderful atmosphere. The Boulder Field is a geological anomoly that has to bee seen (and walked on) to believe. We really liked the hike along the river to the falls.

This camping weekend would be a bargain even at a much higher price than $15 per person.

Tim, thank you for organizing the great fun that was FCW-3 and now making a second camping event in the same year.

If you are thinking about adding Thursday evening, count me in for that one also.

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put me down for 5 people in 2 or 3 tents. I am going to try to convince my daughter to come along this time.

The Hickory Run sites are really nice. There is a stream running right beside the site for a wonderful atmosphere. The Boulder Field is a geological anomoly that has to bee seen (and walked on) to believe. We really liked the hike along the river to the falls.

This camping weekend would be a bargain even at a much higher price than $15 per person.

Tim, thank you for organizing the great fun that was FCW-3 and now making a second camping event in the same year.

If you are thinking about adding Thursday evening, count me in for that one also.

Hi Stan, Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you've enjoyed the past FCW's and I'll be looking forward to seeing you again this time. :grin2:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

If your name is on this list it means I have received or are awaiting to receive your payment, and you have a reserved spot for the campout.

Please PM me for either my snail mail address or my pay pal address to send payment.

KartRacer31 - 1

Luxlover - 1 (awaiting funds) With all his brand new camping gear ready to go!

TOOCOOL - 5 (awaiting funds) may be coming with a new tent, or may just make his wife and kids sleep outside so he has more room himself!

JimmyM - pop up (awaiting funds) Says he is gonna have the dishwasher, jaccuzzi, big screen TV, and microwave oven all hooked up this trip!

senecaripple - 2 (awaiting funds) Will they actually pitch a tent this time, or keep their chiropracter rich, and sleep in their sub-compact car again!
Stan671 - 5 in 2 or 3 tents - (awaiting funds) What cool "toys" will Stan bring this time?

Lasercrazy - 2 (awaiting funds) Are you sure you don't want my old stove? It only catches on fire when you use it!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to test my inverter to see if it can run my coffee maker. It might be close. My 1000W inverter only does 800W continuous, 1000W for 5 minutes. FCW-3 was a blast. I can't wait for 4.

Stan671

Enlightened
Stan671 - 5 in 2 or 3 tents - (awaiting funds) What cool "toys" will Stan bring this time?
PayPal sent.:paypal: Bringing stuff is easy ... remembering to take it out of the car to show people is another. I brought my live steam engine and my little Stirling engine to FCW3 but never got them out.:oops:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

KartRacer31 - 1
Luxlover - 1 (awaiting funds)
TOOCOOL - 5
JimmyM - pop up
senecaripple - 2 (awaiting funds)
Stan671 - 5/2 or 3 tents
lasercrazy - 2 (awaiting funds)
Lighthouse one - 3/2 tents (awaiting funds)

Stan671

Enlightened
TooCool, your PF11 countdown timer is to Sat, Sept 27. I don't think a date has been set for that yet - at least hopefully not during FCW4.