Brightest red LEDs?

Canonista

Newly Enlightened
I want to make a 3rd brake light for my Jeep, and I want it obnoxiously bright. Maximum lumens. I had to remove the factory one when I put a 35 inch tire on the tire carrier. After getting rear ended I want one that'll penetrate the inattentiveness of the grandma behind me.

How many should I need for a brake light about four by two inches, and what'll I need so the 14 volts coming off the factory wiring won't destroy the LEDs? Would ten LEDs fit in that space? More?

Should I get the "star", or just emitters? The stars seem to take up a lot of space compared to the emitters.

The "LXHL-LD3C Luxeon III Star - Red Lambertian" seems nice at 140 lumens each. Are there any red LEDs that crank out more lumens with less draw?

Talk slowly and use small words. I ain't all too swift when it comes to electonics.:eek::duh2::sick2:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Use Red/Orange colour, it's brighter than regular red, and it's actually the standard for automotive use.. that's why LED companies make red/orange.

Lumileds makes LEDs called superflux, designed for automotive use and DOT approved amber and red/orange colours.. they're smaller 70mA.. they also have Snap150 LEDs, similar, but 150mA.. then from there I'd go to the rebel LEDs and run the red/orange at 700mA.

warlord

Enlightened
This is what I used for my 3rd brake light.
http://www.lck-led.com/product_info.php/products_id/106

It made for a really easy mod, just wire it up and mount it in place. They're already resistored and mounted on a board.
Here's a pic on the car:

tn_CameraTransfers014.jpg

Last edited:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use Red/Orange colour, it's brighter than regular red, and it's actually the standard for automotive use.. that's why LED companies make red/orange.

Lumileds makes LEDs called superflux, designed for automotive use and DOT approved amber and red/orange colours.. they're smaller 70mA.. they also have Snap150 LEDs, similar, but 150mA.. then from there I'd go to the rebel LEDs and run the red/orange at 700mA.

This is what I use for the first one...

RED/ORANGE

http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=1807&link_str=330::1433&partno=LXK2-PH12-S00

Canonista

Newly Enlightened
I really love the nice deep red color on the LED light bars the local cops are using. My intended setup won't in any way resemble a cop's lighting, but I do want it to be as visible from great distances just like the light bars are.