Battery case for protected 14500's?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw greenlaterns post and that reminded me. Has anybody seen a case for a protected 14500 cell? Or found something that works well? I've been keeping my eye out for months and nothing has fit the bill better than the good old zip-lock baggy (which needs constant replacing).

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get to Walmart they have a match canister desined to keep matches dry in the camping area for about a buck. It fits two CR123's very well but it will fit a 14500 fairly well also and is waterproof.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I guess the DX holder works alright; at least for storage, don't think I'd want to use it in the field.

I'll have to check out the fit with that match case, as waterproof would be a good thing for li-ion.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Reviving this one.

The only battery case I have found that fits protected 14500 cells well is the Orbtronic case they include with each pair of 14500 batteries ordered from them. Enough longer than standard four AA cell clamshell cases so that it fits the longer cells great and it does hold four cells. The same for the Orbtronic 18650 case as far as length goes. Fits long protected 18650 cells great where the cases I have bought from Battery Junction in the past require some internal trimming to fit the longer 18650 cells decently.

Anyone have any other updated suggestions?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pair of EVVA protected 14500s with the Sanyo 840s inside and those have to be 60mm! They don't fit in anything that I have and that's 3 lights and plastic cases.

I may rip them apart and just use the bare cells, since they're basically worthless to me, as they are.

Good luck buddy!

Chris

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Chris;

Sorry to hear about that.

Nitecore protected 750 mAh 14500 cells are just under 52mm and the 14500 Orbtronic 840 mAh cells are about 52.5mm while a AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium is very close to 50mm. 60mm length is ridiculous as the 14500 number is supposed to describe a cell which is 50mm long and 14mm in diameter. Apparently though there are no industry wide dimensional tolerances for Lithium Ion protected cells as Orbtronic 3100 mAh 18650 cells fit my Jetstream RRT-3 but their 3400mAh 18650 versions are just a hair too large in diameter to be a drop-in fit that I consider acceptable. Nominal diameter difference is .2mm or .008".

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
PowerPax Storacell four and twelve AA cell battery caddies will hold the 14500 batteries I have tried in them. The battery retention tab that normally closes just above standard AA cells, semi locking them in the holder, bears against the side of the 14500 cells. This does provide a friction drag against the cells coming out of the holder. IMO good for storing cells but not ideal as a transport carrier. I found these on Amazon.

flips712

Newly Enlightened
OVEREADY has their line of Delrin battery capsules with one made for 14500/17500/18500 cells. They are durable and water proof.

I like the Delrin capsule design but it's expensive. For traveling what do people use to carry a spare battery that isn't bulky? I'm looking for a silicone sleeve or similar design to hold a single AA or CRC123 size battery. I only see them offered for 18650's. Does anyone make silicone sleeves for smaller size batteries?

Thanks!