Color X-Lamps now out.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
This just landed in my inbox. Thought I would share, though it is probably old news.:eek:

cr1084mast.gif
May 12, 2008
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

XRC.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cree expands XLamp® XR-C LED family to include
full range of high-performance colors

Cree, Inc., a market leader in LED lighting, has expanded its family of XLamp® XR-C high-power LEDs to include Royal Blue, Blue, Green, Amber, Red-Orange and Red. These LEDs are available in production quantities.

Standard flux order codes at 350 mA are available up to:
• 350 mW in Royal Blue,
• 23.5 lm in Blue,
• 67.2 lm in Green,
• 51.7 lm in Amber, Red-Orange and Red.

The XR-C color LEDs feature the same isolated thermal path, low thermal resistance and high reliability as the white LEDs in the XR-C family. They also offer a smooth upgrade path for customers looking to use the same footprint as the XR products.

"We are extending our industry-leading XLamp LED portfolio with new, higher performance, lower price options in the XR family form factor," said Paul Thieken, Cree director of marketing for lighting LEDs. "Cree enables design flexibility for color LED applications with consistent drive currents and footprints throughout the XLamp XR-C and XR-E LED families."

For additional information on XLamp XR-C color LEDs visit
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]www.cree.com/xlamp[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif], contact an authorized distributor,
or call 800-533-2583.
[/FONT]​

ICUDoc

Enlightened
It's interesting isn't it the way the blue has so few lumens, while the XR-E white ones are blue underneath but measure mega-lumens. It would be fun to drive the coloured ones to spec and see how they compare to the "glare" of a white one, or how they compare to the Lumileds coloured ones. Bright "pure" colours are very striking- I like them in lightsabres for the kids.

Gomer

Newly Enlightened
The lumen scale is adjusted for human eye sight. We see green extremely well, and deep red/blue extremely poorly (and can't see IR/UV of you want to go further).

Gryloc

Enlightened
Do not forget that this is just an expansion of the XR-C line in colors. It looks like the lumen figures (at least for blue and green) are not as good as the XR-E colored emitters. Didn't Cree's blue XR-E reach 30-40 or so lumens at 350mA? I thought that their green XR-Es nearly hit 80 at 350mA. Lumileds have (well had) green Rebels with a minimum flux of 80lm. They had them for a long while, too. I got one and I really like it.

As for a low cost option, I am pretty interested in seeing how much these XR-C emitters cost. I have seen a few XR-C whites, and think that they are pretty bright (they come in the Romisen RC-G2 flashlights). I have never had the opportunity to have to choose between the nice XR-E or the less efficient and cheaper XR-C like a large company would. For a hobbyist, the cost difference probably is not very different, and most flashaholics would choose the brightest LED possible for their particular project. Now I wonder how available these colored XR-C emitters are for hobbyists like us? It seems difficult to find any XR-E colored emitters so far...

Thank you Sgt. LED for bringing this up. I would have forgotten that Cree is still moving if it weren't for fresh news.

-Tony