help me do my shopping please, Romisen RC-G2 mod

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
hello,

i would like to mod my faulty RC-G2 from DX.

i have never used a solder before and never modded a flashlight aswell so this will be my first.:poof:

can you please list everything i need to buy and use in order to mod this light into a Q5.

so far i have these in mind, please give me advice:thumbsup:

driver
emitter or emitter
thermal or thermal

which is the better emitter and thermal?

i also need a soldering iron and some solder wire from DX or DSE(electronics shop in AUS) and anything else i have forgetten.

thanks for your help

Last edited:

Dodge

Newly Enlightened
Do you want multi-mode? That driver has a ridiculously complex UI (or maybe I'm just too simple to figure it out). But remove the negative wire and connect it to the outside ring and it makes a great single-mode driver.

I've got the same items - RC-G2, 7880 and 16mm Q5 star - on order at the moment, I'm going to mod one and give it to my dad for his birthday. I'll try to post pictures here if that would help.

Last edited:

Brownstone

Enlightened
driver

In theory
the 7880 driver will work. Solder the negative wire to the grounding ring to disable the UI. In practice, the 7880 is 17mm across, not 16mm as shown on that website. The G2 has space for a 16mm driver. Many people have reported they just use a Dremel tool to grind the driver down. But (there just had to be a catch), I just received a new 7880 from DX and the components are so near the edge I'm not sure if I could grind it down or not. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm saying I glanced at it and decided it needed closer attention later.

emitter or emitter

Those are very close to being the same emitter. The primary difference is the board they are mounted on. Get the 16mm round board, it will fit exactly in the G2.

thermal or thermal

The one in the small container is a grease, the one in the tube is a cement. The grease is used to make a thermal connection when something else will make your mechanical connection - for example a heatsink that is held on with screws. You want a cement (in the tube) because it makes both a thermal and a mechanical connection.

P.S. - There USED to be a long thread about modding the G2. It appears to be lost, and nobody is able to restore it.

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies.

i allready had the intention of soldering the negative wire on the driver to the outside rim to make it 1 mode;)

looks like l'll buy the thermal glue tube and the round Q5 emitter. as for the 7880 driver, i am a little worried now that it might not fit, but plenty of people have done it:confused:, so i might take the risk.

will anyone be able to guide me in the soldering direction? if not, l'll just go to the shop and ask them but l'll like to have different peoples opinion.

@ Brownstone
will you be able to take a picture of the driver please? there seems to be a larger/different driver than the one in the DX picture.

yeah i remember that massive RC-G2 mod thread a while back and have tried searching for it, then i realised it was missing.

thanks

Brownstone

Enlightened
will you be able to take a picture of the driver please?

This is from the latest batch of 7880 drivers. Note the proximity of components to the ground ring at approximately 12:00 and 8:00 in the second photo.

7880_1.jpg

7880_2.jpg

Last edited:

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
your right, l'm not sure what to do now aswell, it's pretty risky to sand down 1-2mm off that driver, ahhh man:sigh:

is there another driver from DX that will work with a Q5?

taschenlampe

Enlightened
Member "gOhAsE" pointed out a simple way to mount a 17mm board
into an RC-G2:

left: gOhAsE's method, right: standard method

tl