How does SSC P4 rank versus Cree XR-E?

Brownstone

Enlightened
I'm trying to understand how the flux of the SSC P4 compares to the Cree XR-E. If I'm reading the datasheets correctly it looks like SSC uses much wider bins than Cree does, so one would be much more playing the lottery.

Anyhow, it looks to me like an SSC P4 T bin is roughly equivalent to a Cree XR-E P3 to P4 bin, and an SSC P4 U bin is roughly equivalent to a Cree XR-E Q3 to Q4 bin.

Cree_SSC_Bins.jpg

Does this assessment agree with what others have observed?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for plotting it out.

My rule of thumb used to be (does not match exactly but close enough for me):
SSCP4-T = XRE-Px,
SSCP4-U = XRE-Qx,
SSCP4-V = XRE-Rx.
-
SSCP7-A = 4*XRE-Px,
SSCP7-B = 4*XRE-Qx,
SSCP7-C = 4*XRE-Rx.
But SSC changed the binning for the P7 so it became:
SSCP7-B = 4*XRE-Q2-Q4,
SSCP7-C = 4*XRE-Q5-R2,
SSCP7-D = 4*XRE-R3-R4,
SSCP7-E = 4*XRE-??.

Reference for others reading this thread.

Cree:
Creeroadmap.jpg

SSC:
SSCP7brightnessbin.jpg

Brownstone

Enlightened
Ok, so I'm probably reading the datasheets right, and your rules of thumb concur.

I'm looking at a small project where I will be removing a XR-E Q5 and replacing with an SSC P4 U. Since I'll be playing the LED lottery I don't know what I will get from SSC, but it looks almost certain there will be a small step down in lumens resulting from this swap.

Maybe I'll just wait for the SSC V bins. Even better, maybe I should wait for the SSC E bins. Those will be out next quarter, right? :whistle:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all remember that SSC U bin was available at the same time when people were dreaming about Cree Qx.

'Brownstone' - you can get SSC U2 bin from cpfmarketplace (offline now) or try the lottery. I heard that newer U bins have over 100lm@350mA (like U2) because they use the same dies as newest wholesale Crees (Q4/Q5, R2 is still limited).

Last edited: