The Fenix-Store
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

I had a 2001 as well!. That's what drove me to the 2010. I picked up the 2001 used at a hamfest. Coolest radio ever, at the time, but the ECL (Emitter Coupled Logic) that it used completely trashed the batteries after about 1.5 hours. It was terrible. I used to have to take 3 or 4 sets of D batteries with me for 1 day's worth of listening. I don't think there was any such thing as rechargeable D's at the time and if there were, they would have been NiCad since NiMH hadn't been invented yet. I sold the radio a couple of years later I think. That model receiver had a bad case of the "chuffs" IIRC.

That brings back memories. Now my ICOM R10 does the same thing in 1/5 the size, if it gets a decent antenna hooked up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra View Post
    I still have a 2010 that I put a KIWA filter kit into back in the early 90s. I made a 'play through' vinyl cover for it that has kept it in pretty good shape. My wife still uses it.

It replaced my old Sony 2001 which I lugged around the world in a hard case...

Lightbulb Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by duboost View Post
    I thought i'd try asking in here instead of making a new thread, but being that it is the beginning of hurricane season, im in search of a portable radio that will mainly be used for emergencies. I don't know much at all about radios but I'd like a quality radio to add to my hurricane kit. I've mostly come across crank type emergency radios, but i'd rather stay away from those due to the nimh batteries failing over time. Although i don't mind if it is a crank radio with the ability to run off standard alkalines or nimh batteries as well. As long as i have options to keep it running if the built in rechargable batteries fail.

Basically what im looking for is:
    AM/FM/NOAA
    Able to run off standard alkalines/nimh batteries (crank/solar/etc is ok as long as it is able to run off standard batteries as well)
    Durable and weather resistant would be a plus
    Built in speaker
    Price around $50

I looked at the DT-400W and it seems like a nice radio that would fit my criteria, but the one thing that turns me off about it is the antenna being built into the earphone wire. I'm still definitely considering this one though

Here are some others that I came across in my search:

Oregon Scientific WR601 Public Alert Emergency Portable Weather Radio with SAME. This seemed like a nice little radio until I realized that it doesn't even have AM/FM. But I like the form factor of it and it seems somewhat durable. Does anyone know of something similar that also has AM/FM?

Lingo NOAA-740 Lingo NOAA Weather Radio with SAME. Then i found this one. AM/FM/NOAA along with a bunch of not really necessary, but nice to have features (built in light, siren, compass, alarm clock, temp display). The only thing im not really fond of is that it runs on 4 C's which seems a little hefty compared to others using AA's.

Eton Grundig ARC FR360-RED American Red Cross Solarlink Self-Powered AM/FM NOAA Weather Radio. And lastly i stumbled across this. This one is cool since it can either recharge the built in nimh by cranking or from solar power and can also use 3 AA's.

If anyone has any input on these or any others i should consider I'd aprreciate it.
    I was in the market for one of these a few months ago. I bought an inexpensive one that I think will serve my needs then I came across this site. (http://www.handcrankradios.org ) I wished I would have waited because I think the Eton FR600 is what I would have bought, had I known about it. At least you can see some great options on this site...before you purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by camperator5 View Post
    I think the Eton FR600 is what I would have bought, had I known about it.
    Keep in mind that all the digital bells and whistles on a radio require quite a lot more battery power, and will reduce your runtime notably. A needle-and-dial analog-tuned radio is a better bet for emergencies, but digital is more convenient for everyday listening.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Keep in mind that all the digital bells and whistles on a radio require quite a lot more battery power, and will reduce your runtime notably. A needle-and-dial analog-tuned radio is a better bet for emergencies, but digital is more convenient for everyday listening.
    Not always the case....

Some of the newer digitals are very efficient now too, notably, the Grundig G6. I'm more pleased with that radio's performance every day and the battery life seems exceptional!.

Grundig G6 Aviator (uses AA batteries)

Heck, I've got a great Panasonic Analog SW portable that you would think has great battery life, and yet it eats batteries like a Surefire M6.
    Last edited by kwkarth; 11-29-2009 at 06:48 PM.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx
    You never know when you might need a good flashlight!

Does anyone know if Eton/Grundig or Sanegan has, or will soon have, a radio in the size and performance range of the Grundig S350DL that can also play MP3s from SD cards?

I recently picked up a car stereo that has no CD player or moving parts to speak of. Just USB/SD Card/AUX slots and I'm a complete convert! No more discs everywhere. I currently have over 200 songs on a 4GB sd card with room for about 200 more. Considering a 16 GB card soon. (Get one of these stereos, you WON'T look back!)

Anyways, I have the Grundig S350DL and love the radio, but just thinking how great it would be to also have a SD card slot on the side of it. It would be nice to do some camping with it and maybe throw a few audio books onto a SD card and play them on it while chilling out by the fire, for example.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Flashaholic

This isn't any of the manufacturers you were looking for, but it is a shortwave with MP3 capability. It also timer records, nice. Apparently it's a little quirky to use given the description.

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...121-radio.aspx

The Grundig G4 has an SD card slot, but it only accepts cards up to 2GB: http://universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0004.html

The Sangean PR-D8 accepts SD cards up to 16GB, but no shortwave: http://universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/0152.html

You might also consider the ultimate portable media player, a netbook or ultralight computer (I'm typing this on an ultralight); having a hard drive and being able to use any software you want makes things a lot easier.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Thinking it over a bit more, I may just take the wait and see approach for now. Would like to see a bit larger support card wise. I have a feeling 16GB/SDHC cards may disappear in a couple years if not sooner. Especially with the way they're talking up the new SDXC card format which could go up to 2 terabytes within 5 years they're predicting.
    32GB is the first SDXC offering and while it is currently expensive it is available, so that Sanegan might see a short lifespan unless it could be flashed to read a higher capacity card. Although I'm hearing most current devices won't work with the new format.

And yeah, StarHalo, I already have a netbook. I love it and pretty much use it as my sole computer. Haven't turned on my desktop once since early December, no need to. Give me the net recliner style. lol
    But I'm still a sucker for a decent, free standing portable radio.

cheers.

There is no flash media capacity that will be viable for more than a couple years. I bought a new 4GB MemoryStick for my Sony camera a couple of years ago for $80, it's now $10, which means it will very soon be discontinued. The camera I had before won't accept anything over 128MB.

Quote Originally Posted by ryball View Post
    I just found this on clearance at Toys-R-Us of all places. Bigger than it looks in the pic. It's 7"H x 4"W x 2.5"D

I have the Sony ICF-B01 It is similar, to this, in is Safety orange, two LEDs one with a diffused panel, and another with a lens. Has the crank, and runs on AAAs.

I would rather have AA. The power gen works great, I bought a few as gifts in I think 2007 at Target.

I think this yellow one is the replacement, but I am not sure?

Other radios I have Sony 2010, Sony Pro 80, several GE Superradios, and some Sony boom boxes, and some vintage portables.

Thrift stores are a good place to find old radios, and they go for $2.00 or so.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post

I have the Sony ICF-B01 It is similar, to this, in is Safety orange, two LEDs one with a diffused panel, and another with a lens. Has the crank, and runs on AAAs.

I would rather have AA. The power gen works great, I bought a few as gifts in I think 2007 at Target.

I think this yellow one is the replacement, but I am not sure?

Other radios I have Sony 2010, Sony Pro 80, several GE Superradios, and some Sony boom boxes, and some vintage portables.

Thrift stores are a good place to find old radios, and they go for $2.00 or so.
    ***Alert*** Mrs.Redled got me the yellow Sony as a gift! I now have both Sony emergency radios, and am standing by for the BIG ONE! California EQ that is!

I posted about the yellow Sony way back on page 2 or 3 of this thread:

The Sony ICF-B05W

Standing a just over 7 inches tall, it features an AM/FM/Weather band analog tuner, a hand-crank generator that will power the AM band for one hour for one minute of cranking, an LED light with a high and low setting, a water resistant case, and best of all: it's powered by *two C cells* for a total AM runtime of 355 HOURS.

In my five-day power outage ordeal, I found that I left the radio on pretty much nonstop in the waking hours, not just for news but to provide entertainment and generally keep up morale. This radio, if used for 16 hours a day will last *over 22 days* on a single pair of batteries, and even then you still have the option to crank.
    Even though it's been a couple of years since its release, this model would still be my first choice for an emergency radio.

What IC chip does it use? Does it have good sensitivity/selectivity?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    What IC chip does it use? Does it have good sensitivity/selectivity?
    No idea, all the radio review sites closed down ages ago. But user reviews say reception is very good, and those who have shopped around/own several emergency radios like this one the best.

Simply fascinating thread that I had somehow missed. The depth of knowledge here on CPF never ceases to amaze me. Thank you for keeping this thread going, I will be calling C.Crane tomorrow... Dedicated AM/FM radio, and one more geared towards SW seems like the plan. AA's are a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I will be calling C.Crane tomorrow... Dedicated AM/FM radio, and one more geared towards SW seems like the plan. AA's are a must for me.
    CCrane carries a few of the notable names, but for a better selection check out Universal Radio: http://universal-radio.com/catalog/index2.html

I like the Yellow Sony using C-cells, as if a disaster hits, C-cell will still be on the shelf, and the AA, AAA,and D cell will be gone.

This, and one Pelican flashlight are the only things I have with C-cells, and I have a ton of electronic things!

The C-cell is the most overlooked battery.

Radio works great!

Grundig G6 Aviator on the way with a free Grundig M400 in the same box... Now I am sure I have some reading to do. Thanks for the link to Universal!

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Grundig G6 Aviator on the way with a free Grundig M400 in the same box... Now I am sure I have some reading to do. Thanks for the link to Universal!
    Grate choice!
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx
    You never know when you might need a good flashlight!

Has anyone here tried CCRadio-SWPocket yet? I'd love to hear the firsthand dirt from someone here. StarHalo? Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra View Post
    Has anyone here tried CCRadio-SWPocket yet? I'd love to hear the firsthand dirt from someone here. StarHalo? Anybody?
    Those in the know aren't impressed by it; it's one of the rebranded CC models and not one of their originals, and the build quality is proportionately sub-par. Unremarkable reception performance, chintzy volume knob, susceptibility to RF noise and heterodynes/squeals, etc.

If you don't need the SW band, the Sangean DT-400W (http://universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/4400.html) is still my recommendation for the ~$60 class. If you must have SW (bearing in mind that it's just for hobby, it's of no use in an emergency and can be very tricky to work with), for this price class I'd go with the Kaito 1103 (http://universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0028.html)

Flashaholic*

If you must have SW (bearing in mind that it's just for hobby, it's of no use in an emergency and can be very tricky to work with), for this price class I'd go with the Kaito 1103 (http://universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0028.html)
    No use in an emergency??? I know absolutely nothing about all this, but thought SW was somehow quite beneficial in an emergency. What have I missed? (Really regret now the fact that I have passed over this thread for so long.)
    Peakaholic!

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Flashlight View Post
    No use in an emergency??? I know absolutely nothing about all this, but thought SW was somehow quite beneficial in an emergency. What have I missed?
    All you're going to hear that's of substance news-wise on SW is from other countries - if there's a tornado heading for your town, or one just went through it, you won't find much help from Philippines radio..

If something like a nuclear attack happens, it will most likely be discussed a great deal, but only as a news item; there wouldn't be any emergency contact info, evacuation/meeting locations, etc. (The exception might be Armed Forces Radio, but you'd need a set with sideband reception to find it, and it's not a strong signal so you'd need a good outdoor antenna [intact] as well.)

The AM band is where the emergency info is/will be. Even if some massive event wipes out all the transmitters in your state, you'll still be able to easily receive stations from other states, no special radio knowledge or equipment required. (One of the presets I sometimes listen to in my car is a station in Denver, Colorado, 800 miles away and comes in just fine nightly.)

Flashaholic*

Logical enough. Thank you.
    Peakaholic!

Thanks, StarHalo.

I posted about the yellow Sony way back on page 2 or 3 of this thread:

Even though it's been a couple of years since its release, this model would still be my first choice for an emergency radio.
    I guess look into purchasing one when I get my next paycheck).

I have the pocket radio that's being sold at countycomm (the GP4-L if IIRC) but the reception is horrible in my area. Has anyone here have better luck with these models?
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by fisk-king View Post
    I have the pocket radio that's being sold at countycomm (the GP4-L if IIRC) but the reception is horrible in my area. Has anyone here have better luck with these models?
    CountyComm carries a lot of quality stuff, but unfortunately not the radios..

If you're just wanting a pocket radio with good reception and not necessarily an emergency-only radio, I still recommend the aforementioned Sangean DT-400, which has reception on par with many car stereos.

StarHalo
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Forgot to mention; Amazon has the DT-400 for $55 and a free shipping option, $20+ cheaper than the place I originally linked.

See it here: http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DT-400.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast