Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Forgot to mention; Amazon has the DT-400 for $55 and a free shipping option, $20+ cheaper than the place I originally linked.

See it here: http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DT-400.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Thanks

hope to receive it the next couple of days. StarHalo u stated the radio up above was one of the best emergency lights to own. My question is whether hand cranks can last/durable? Just curious, I was thinking of purchasing one for emergencies in the future.
    Last edited by fisk-king; 06-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by fisk-king View Post
    My question is whether hand cranks can last/durable?
    The crank is always the questionable part of a crank radio, since it's of plastic construction; but the way I view it is, if I'm in an emergency situation and I'm completely out of batteries, I'd rather have a crank with a 99% chance that it will work than no crank at all.

Aside from that, a 4-pack of batteries will power the Sony for about a month of nonstop operation. Plus there's a DC jack for creative power source connecting, such as a battery pack, car battery, etc..

I am looking for a radio that i had about 18 years ago, it was an am/fm and vhf, ran on a 9 volt and was a small portable. the case was black and had a aluminum face like some realistic radios, though i dont think it was realistic. i kind of remember an airplane on the front of the unit, i recently saw an ad for it somewhere. kind of a brief description, i hope it helps
    SLPP 4 AA LUX; AT-100 10 LED; ARC AAA P; photon 1;Pewter 2C M@G with LED drop in; NEXTORCH Saint HID; SF E1B; RR 2AAA headlight; Vector 1 MIL CP spotlight: Q-Beam 2 Mil CP spotlight ;Sams HID; L2D RB 100; 6P

I seem to recall a radio like this in the old Radio Shack catalog. Never had one. I suppose it was a Realistic.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by 2000xlt View Post
    I am looking for a radio that i had about 18 years ago
    It sounds vaguely familiar, but if you think there are a lot of old flashlights out there, wait until you see the number of old radios.. Fortunately there's a modest community of people who are radio collectors, so if you don't get a response here, search around one of their forums (eham.net is a notable one, they also have a large archive of older radio reviews that might help you)

bump up it up, mabey
    SLPP 4 AA LUX; AT-100 10 LED; ARC AAA P; photon 1;Pewter 2C M@G with LED drop in; NEXTORCH Saint HID; SF E1B; RR 2AAA headlight; Vector 1 MIL CP spotlight: Q-Beam 2 Mil CP spotlight ;Sams HID; L2D RB 100; 6P

Quote Originally Posted by 2000xlt View Post
    I am looking for a radio that i had about 18 years ago, it was an am/fm and vhf, ran on a 9 volt and was a small portable
    Ran across this on EBay, this it?

A lot of those early "transistor" radios used 9 volts batteries. Sony made some.

Bill

Grundig has introduced a new 350 - it's so new that it's a 450; the S450DLX. Analog tuner with digital counter just like the 350s, uses 6 D cells, the backlight now lights both the display and buttons, and there are 50 memory slots (I have no idea how memories with an analog tuner would work, but that's what they're advertising..) Despite appearances, it's about 2" taller and wider than the 350. Available September 30th.

Edit: They've edited the description by removing the mention of an analog tuner with a digital counter; this would indicate that the 450 is all-digital.

Last edited by StarHalo; 08-18-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Enlightened

I was just reading that this (S450DLX) is basically a re-badged Redsun RP-2100, which is supposed to be a decent radio.

Quote Originally Posted by kaj View Post
    I was just reading that this (S450DLX) is basically a re-badged Redsun RP-2100, which is supposed to be a decent radio.
    Ah ha, that makes sense; it's also the same radio as the CCrane CCRadio-SW. Since this is $50 cheaper, it's a good deal.

Ah ha, that makes sense; it's also the same radio as the CCrane CCRadio-SW. Since this is $50 cheaper, it's a good deal.
    The S450DLX also has the Twin coil ferrite antenna? They do not look alike.

Bill

A while back, some guy showed me this cool long-range VHF handheld radio with trunking and stuff, but the best part was that it could be hacked in just a few minutes to allow MARS operation and stuff. I'll try and find it if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    The S450DLX also has the Twin coil ferrite antenna? They do not look alike.
    CCrane applies the term "Twin Coil Ferrite Antenna" to any radio they sell that features an 8" ferrite rod with a winding on each end; going by this definition, the GE Superradio III, the Grundig/Eton 350 series, the old CCradio series, and the aforementioned Grundig 450/Redsun 2100/CCradio-SW are all "Twin Coil Ferrite Antenna" models. I've seen many comparison reviews that show these radios to have virtually identical and often completely-identical AM sensitivity.

The actual, singular CCrane Twin Coil Ferrite Antenna, the modular device which is sold by itself (originally under the Justice Antenna name) is an *active* 8" ferrite rod with a winding on each end using a tuned amplifier circuit to boost sensitivity. The only CCrane products that feature this specific antenna are the current CCRadio2 and the upcoming CCRadio-EP.

Flashaholic

Anyone here have experience with the Sony ICF-SW1? Mine received some water damage and does not function. Luckily, the batteries were not in it and only the one board is damaged. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by derangboy View Post
    Anyone here have experience with the Sony ICF-SW1?
    The SW1 doesn't age well, if you look it up online you'll find a lot of stories about how it loses capacitors and goes bad over time, requiring lengthy and difficult repairs. You can send it to a tech if it has some sort of sentimental value, but short of that, you'd be better off replacing it.

Back when I was in college mys sister bought me a Radio Shack DX-397 so I could listen to Art Bell at work. I loved that little radio as it introduced me to shortwave and DXing. Found a lot of cool stuff on SW and was amazed that I could recieve AM from Atlanta all the way up in Ann Arbor, MI.

After I moved back to the Detroit area my reception wasn't so good and I fell out of it, but about two months ago I bought a Grundig S350DL and I'm back in the game. I have it on my nightstand. Our bedroom is on the top floor of our house and I have ran a ground wire out the window and into the ground and I have been playing around with a copper wire antenna with great results. For now I have about 20' strung across the room but its causing some friction between me and the Fiance' so I'm going to run a 30-40' wire through the rafters of my attic and see how that goes.

I'm picking up lots of cool stuff and logging it in a little notebook. I've picked up broadcasts from every continent except Antarctica. That, The FireDrake and a Number Station are on my "To Find List".

I've been having so much fun that I went out and bought a Grundig G6 for traveling. It came in handy last night when an airliner flew VERY low over our house. I ran upstairs and started checking the Detroit Metro Airport VHF frequencies but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I like antiques and am looking at possibly getting a late 50's to early 60's Zenith Trans-Oceanic. I have seen a few on E-bay and just might pull the trigger on the right deal.
    "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

Ran across this on EBay, this it?

that looks very fimilar

You'll know the Firedrake when you find it, 'cause it's LOUD; the station sounds like picking up a clear channel station a few blocks from the transmitter, it takes up a huge swath of the dial and is crystal clear. And it's really grating music too, lots of loud banging and clanging. The last organized log I kept from ~2 years ago shows it popping up at 13625khz at noon local time/Pacific, but it may have changed since then.

For numbers stations, point your antenna generally southward/towards Mexico/Cuba and flip around 5500-8500khz in the hours around midnight.

The G6 and 350 are a great combo, though I'd only recommend the Zenith for sentimental/collectible purposes, its performance would be disappointing compared to modern units.

Quote Originally Posted by ypsifly View Post
    I like antiques and am looking at possibly getting a late 50's to early 60's Zenith Trans-Oceanic. I have seen a few on E-bay and just might pull the trigger on the right deal.
    Oh, I've gotta chime in! Radios are my passion-that's some of why I haven't been around here. Been restoring since I was 14.

Anything to do with old radios-go right here: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php? and sign up. It's the CPF of antique radios. I've had so much help with repairs, schematics, online parts sources, etc. I can't list it all.

I've done a dozen tube and solid state Trans-Oceanics. If you need some pointers, please shoot me a PM. But check that link-do some reading up, especially if you look on greedbay. Shipping and feedback horror stories abound; don't get stuck.

Depending on where you are, might be better to look on Craigslist. Find something locally that you can go pick up.

Rich

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Yeah I wouldn't expect the Zenith to blow me away, I just like antiques and thought it would look cool in my reading nook at home. I have an old Philco that is getting a new tube soon. The new stuff is fun but it will never have that "feel" that they don't make any more.

I have checked out antiqueradios.com and it looks like a very cool site. I'll look for a numbers station tonight and the Firedrake in a few days when I'm off.
    "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

The new stuff is fun but it will never have that "feel" that they don't make any more.
    It's still made, just in some unlikely places, like this brand new boutique-made in China example:

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Yeah I wouldn't expect the Zenith to blow me away...
    I wouldn't say that... properly restored and realigned they sound and perform great.

If you want a good portable, look for a Grundig G5. Made by Degen in China but it's one they got right. Love mine and I'm really fussy with radios!

Rich

Enlightened

Radio Shack has the G5 on sale in stores right now :

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2486268

Thanks, kaj. I've been thinking about a new radio and at this price I believe a trip to RS is in order.

Geoff

It's still made, just in some unlikely places, like this brand new boutique-made in China example:
    Nice looking radio.

My grandfather used to own a radio and TV repair shop.

I used to see old tube radios in there all the time. Many went unclaimed.
    No idea what happened to them when he sold the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by kaj View Post
    Radio Shack has the G5 on sale in stores right now :

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2486268
    This is a phenomenal deal; experienced radio users prefer this now-discontinued model over the new ones, with many noting that the G5 is the best portable Grundig has made in some time, but it usually sells for ~$80.

Anyone reading this who's been wanting an insane deal on a very good portable shortwave radio, this is it, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    I used to see old tube radios in there all the time. Many went unclaimed.
    No idea what happened to them when he sold the shop.
    A lot of them are on EBay, and can be yours as long as you're willing to pay shipping for a heavy metal framed wooden box with lots of fragile glass tubes in it..

I was psyched about the G5, but, alas, no stores in the Raleigh area have or will be getting any more. Found this out from a very helpful salesperson on the phone.

I really didn't need another anyway, as if that ever matters. Now, in a way, I've got $40 to spend on another flashlight I don't need.

Geoff

I found what appeared to be the last one at any Ratshack in southeast MI. Had to drive across Detroit to get it. So far so good but I can't wait to see what she does around sunset.

Three radios in six weeks....this is really cutting into my flashlight funds.

Thanks for the heads up on the deal!

Where did you get that radio,are those tubes that are lit up on the side? Good looking radio.