HDS Systems        
Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35757879808182838485
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 2535

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

  1. #2521
    *Flashaholic* this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    OK guys. I need some help. I live in NJ and I'm looking for an AM radio/setup that gives me the best chance of being able to receive the 1170-AM station referenced.

    They have a 50k watt transmitter and a ham operator in Louisiana said he can pick them up, but he's got an elaborate setup and antenna.

    http://www.mosquitonet.com/~kjnp/KJNP%20AM.html
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

  2. #2522
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    1,545

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    All of these stations broadcast on 1170AM in the United States and Canada, it would be miracle if you could pull an Alaska station in NJ especially given you already have an AM station broadcasting on the same frequency in NJ and NY. Streaming would be your best bet if available.


    KBOB in Davenport, Iowa
    KCBQ in San Diego, California
    KFAQ in Tulsa, Oklahoma
    KJJD in Windsor, Colorado
    KJNP (AM) in North Pole, Alaska
    KJXX in Jackson, Missouri
    KLOK (AM) in San Jose, California
    KOWZ in Waseca, Minnesota
    KPUG in Bellingham, Washington
    KYET in Golden Valley, Arizona
    WAVS in Davie, Florida
    WCLN (AM) in Clinton, North Carolina
    WCTF in Vernon, Connecticut
    WCXN in Claremont, North Carolina
    WDEK in Lexington, South Carolina
    WDFB (AM) in Junction City, Kentucky
    WFDL (AM) in Waupun, Wisconsin
    WFPB (AM) in Orleans, Massachusetts
    WGMP in Montgomery, Alabama
    WKFL in Bushnell, Florida
    WLBH (AM) in Mattoon, Illinois
    WLEO in Ponce, Puerto Rico
    WQHC in Hanceville, Alabama
    WRPM in Poplarville, Mississippi
    WSOS (AM) in Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
    WWLE in Cornwall, New York
    WWTR in Bridgewater, New Jersey
    WWVA (AM) in Wheeling, West Virginia
    CBRH in New Hazelton, British Columbia
    CBUX in Port Alice, British Columbia
    Last edited by Lebkuecher; 01-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.

  3. #2523
    *Flashaholic* this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    All of these stations broadcast on 1170AM in the United States and Canada, it would be miracle if you could pull an Alaska station in NJ especially given you already have an AM station broadcasting on the same frequency in NJ and NY. Streaming would be your best bet if available.


    KBOB in Davenport, Iowa
    KCBQ in San Diego, California
    KFAQ in Tulsa, Oklahoma
    KJJD in Windsor, Colorado
    KJNP (AM) in North Pole, Alaska
    KJXX in Jackson, Missouri
    KLOK (AM) in San Jose, California
    KOWZ in Waseca, Minnesota
    KPUG in Bellingham, Washington
    KYET in Golden Valley, Arizona
    WAVS in Davie, Florida
    WCLN (AM) in Clinton, North Carolina
    WCTF in Vernon, Connecticut
    WCXN in Claremont, North Carolina
    WDEK in Lexington, South Carolina
    WDFB (AM) in Junction City, Kentucky
    WFDL (AM) in Waupun, Wisconsin
    WFPB (AM) in Orleans, Massachusetts
    WGMP in Montgomery, Alabama
    WKFL in Bushnell, Florida
    WLBH (AM) in Mattoon, Illinois
    WLEO in Ponce, Puerto Rico
    WQHC in Hanceville, Alabama
    WRPM in Poplarville, Mississippi
    WSOS (AM) in Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
    WWLE in Cornwall, New York
    WWTR in Bridgewater, New Jersey
    WWVA (AM) in Wheeling, West Virginia
    CBRH in New Hazelton, British Columbia
    CBUX in Port Alice, British Columbia
    Oh wow. Didn't realize that. They don't stream, so I guess I'm SOL. Thanks for the research and reply.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

  4. #2524
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    9,482

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    OK guys. I need some help. I live in NJ and I'm looking for an AM radio/setup that gives me the best chance of being able to receive the 1170-AM station referenced.
    That's 3,300 miles away, so you'll need a very large outdoor antenna and very unique ionospheric conditions, not happening otherwise.

    It's a bummer that most of the way out there smaller stations with unique content don't stream; one little station that's farther out but not far from North Pole is KBRW in Barrow/Utqiagvik, 3,600 miles away at the northern tip of AK, and they do indeed stream. Lots of national NPR content but sometimes they'll do local stuff, they do a happy birthday show where residents can call in an wish someone a happy birthday, some callers only speak Inupiaq..

  5. #2525
    *Flashaholic* this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    That's 3,300 miles away, so you'll need a very large outdoor antenna and very unique ionospheric conditions, not happening otherwise.

    It's a bummer that most of the way out there smaller stations with unique content don't stream; one little station that's farther out but not far from North Pole is KBRW in Barrow/Utqiagvik, 3,600 miles away at the northern tip of AK, and they do indeed stream. Lots of national NPR content but sometimes they'll do local stuff, they do a happy birthday show where residents can call in an wish someone a happy birthday, some callers only speak Inupiaq..
    Thanks. I'll have to check that out.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

  6. #2526
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,549

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Listed as 1020 mAh, battery says 1000 mAh (second pic). I might have gotten both off of ebay, but I know the black one was. Both work very well. Both are not stock with the ICR-100 - the one that came with it was gray IIRC, and it was so poor a performer I threw it out. It actually stopped taking a charge. Got a charger off of amazon:

    (not sold anymore apparently)

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1



    Thanks for that Don. I forgot all about this. All the ones I received with my radios and the ones I purchased on Ebay just don't last after a charge. They're even worse when I try to charge them directly in my radios. I have to charge them in a seperate charger I also purchased on Ebay but they still only would last a short time.

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    The original BL-5C is supposed to weigh approx 22g , fakes (low capacity) are usually quite a bit lighter.

    http://www.cpkb.org/wiki/Nokia_BL-5C_battery

    John
    Thanks for that John.

    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to check that out.
    Hey, Hello Ray!
    Good to see you're still kicking around! Gentlemen, Ray goes way back on these forums and is one of the most generous and helpful people there ever has been on these forums. He's right up there with Don and Steve who also are the same, (honorable mention to StarHalo ). Ray, you're among the best folks on these forums here and again, glad to see you're still around.

    I think these BL-5C cells are so widely used in cell phones and radios nowadays is the reason there's so many fakes out there.

  7. #2527
    *Flashaholic* this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Thanks Gene. You're too kind.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

  8. #2528
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    9,482

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    This is similar to what we camera folk go through when buying proprietary li-ion batteries like these; the much cheaper copies don't last as long, it's preferable to just pay more for the brand name original. But the BL-5C hasn't been used in a phone for so long that I doubt any of the original manufacturers have made them for a long time, perhaps the market is entirely the subpar copies now.

  9. #2529

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Oh wow. Didn't realize that. They don't stream, so I guess I'm SOL. Thanks for the research and reply.
    Most of these stations are fairly far off the great circle path from NJ to Fairbanks so you just might be able to pull it in with a highly directional antenna. I plotted the great circle path from Newark to Fairbanks at http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=EWR-FAI (I don't know just where you are in NJ but the exact location won't matter much.)

    A challenge for sure, but not impossible.

  10. #2530
    *Flashaholic* this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by dgbrookman View Post
    Most of these stations are fairly far off the great circle path from NJ to Fairbanks so you just might be able to pull it in with a highly directional antenna. I plotted the great circle path from Newark to Fairbanks at http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=EWR-FAI (I don't know just where you are in NJ but the exact location won't matter much.)

    A challenge for sure, but not impossible.
    Thx. I'm a bit southwest of the dot.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

  11. #2531
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    For those following the Digitech AR-1780, the SWL blog has a new review that is very detailed and practical. Quite frankly, the radio looks pretty good; of course, we're all hoping that the cheaper XHDATA clone has similar performance and build quality:

    https://swling.com/blog/2018/01/jack...itech-ar-1780/

    Just a word about the reviewer: Jack Kratoville is a unique individual in this hobby, as he is also a working on-air radio professional. I hear him frequently doing fill-in shifts on WLTW-FM ("Lite" FM) here in Metro NY as well as across the country on other IHEART-affiliated stations. (A couple of years ago, my wife and I were in Charleston SC and, riding in a minibus which had a local FM station playing on the speaker - recognized the announcer's voice instantly).

    He maintains several web pages on portable radios within his family's web site:

    http://www.kratoville.com/jackjr/radio.html

    He is particularly interested in FMDX, and mentioned listening with a portable radio in his lap during his commute to work via the Long Island Railroad.

    Also a real nice guy.
    Last edited by schuster; 01-04-2018 at 07:15 AM.

  12. #2532
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    That's 3,300 miles away, so you'll need a very large outdoor antenna and very unique ionospheric conditions, not happening otherwise.

    It's a bummer that most of the way out there smaller stations with unique content don't stream; one little station that's farther out but not far from North Pole is KBRW in Barrow/Utqiagvik, 3,600 miles away at the northern tip of AK, and they do indeed stream. Lots of national NPR content but sometimes they'll do local stuff, they do a happy birthday show where residents can call in an wish someone a happy birthday, some callers only speak Inupiaq..
    At night WWVA dominates 1170 on the east coast. Maybe one day the Alaska station start streaming.

  13. #2533
    Flashaholic* 5S8Zh5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    828

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Thanks for that Don. I forgot all about this. All the ones I received with my radios and the ones I purchased on Ebay just don't last after a charge. They're even worse when I try to charge them directly in my radios. I have to charge them in a seperate charger I also purchased on Ebay but they still only would last a short time.
    I use my ICR-100 so much I needed a spare so I got another one. It came with the green on I posted a picture of above - and it holds it's charge very well. New one just charged up - will see if it's a good one too.

  14. #2534
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,549

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    I use my ICR-100 so much I needed a spare so I got another one. It came with the green on I posted a picture of above - and it holds it's charge very well. New one just charged up - will see if it's a good one too.
    Funny, because the ones I received from Ebay are the green ones. My examples are just as lousy as the ones that came with my radios. ALL my radios that use them when charged inside the radios are not charged to full capacity. The charger I purchased from Ebay does better but I still suspect it leaves a lot to be desired and there's probably better ones out there but where? 😳

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    This is similar to what we camera folk go through when buying proprietary li-ion batteries like these; the much cheaper copies don't last as long, it's preferable to just pay more for the brand name original. But the BL-5C hasn't been used in a phone for so long that I doubt any of the original manufacturers have made them for a long time, perhaps the market is entirely the subpar copies now.
    I think you might be right on this SH. I think even if you can find OEM's, they've been languishing on shelves for such a long time that they may not be up to par.

  15. #2535
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Universal snuck this guy onto their site overnight; Sangean HDR-14, AM/FM/HD 5"x3" portable powered by 3xAAs with full data display. Listed as a "future" release with no pricing yet.

    Now officially listed on the Sangean US web site. No sign of the user manual, though.

    http://www.sangean.com/products/prod...?mid=230&cid=3

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35757879808182838485

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •