Klarus        
Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 408083848586878889909192 LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 2756

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Funny you say that, because that's exactly what in looking to do. I want an FM transmitter plugged into the transistor radio, to transmit to the FM radio of the truck.

Problem is that I can only find FM transmitters that connect to the transistor radio via BT, not hardwired.

I'm up for suggestions if anyone knows of such a transmitter.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Funny you say that, because that's exactly what in looking to do. I want an FM transmitter plugged into the transistor radio, to transmit to the FM radio of the truck.

Problem is that I can only find FM transmitters that connect to the transistor radio via BT, not hardwired.

I'm up for suggestions if anyone knows of such a transmitter.
    I bought this FM transmitter a year or so ago from Amazon and it works well.

Car Kit FM Transmitter Audio Adapter Car Kit,FM in-Car Transmitter Mini AUX adapter with Built-in 3.5mm Aux Port for Car iPhone 6s 5 SE iPod iPad Smart Phones MP MP4 Audio Players

Thanks. I'll give it a look.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

That one looks good Steve!

Hope you find one that works for you Ray.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    That one looks good Steve!
    Hi Gene

Yes it works pretty well and is fairly simple. Just select the frequency you want to broadcast on and turn your radio to the frequency and you are good to go. I mainly use it to test FM sensitivity between radios and occasionally to listen to music on my older phones using a radio as the speaker. My Bluetooth speakers perform a little better for music but when I go camping and space is limited I can take just a radio giving me the option to either listen to music or radio broadcast.

Which model do you have?
    Last edited by Lebkuecher; 07-23-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    Hi Gene

Yes it works pretty well and is fairly simple. Just select the frequency you want to broadcast on and turn your radio to the frequency and you are good to go. I mainly use it to test FM sensitivity between radios and occasionally to listen to music on my older phones using a radio as the speaker. My Bluetooth speakers perform a little better for music but when I go camping and space is limited I can take just a radio giving me the option to either listen to music or radio broadcast.

Which model do you have?
    I just picked up a small bluetooth speaker that has FM radio and supports up to 32GB micro SD cards so I don't have to bring a device with a bluetooth transmitter to use it.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Make sure you test the AM capabilities of the truck's receiver before going through all these steps, some car receivers are quite good at AM, though the whip antenna setup means they're more sensitive than selective. Driving around with a standard portable radio listening to a distant AM station means your reception will depend on which way the car is facing - you might get a good signal going one direction, but then you'll have to turn and the signal will fade..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I just picked up a small bluetooth speaker that has FM radio and supports up to 32GB micro SD cards so I don't have to bring a device with a bluetooth transmitter to use it.
    Sounds like a nice device especially if you live in the city close to FM stations.

Twice a year I go camping out west and one of the places I go every year is Big Bend National Park which is located in south Texas on the Rio Grande which is extremely remote. I can pick-up AM stations and of course SW but there is little available on the FM band. Same goes for Yellowstone National park which is another place I go camping. I usually will take a couple of radios one being the Panasonic RF-2200 due to the AM performance and speaker sound quality for music and the Tecsun PL-880 for SW. I normally carry my older iPhone loaded with music which has a 3.5 audio jack and the FM adapter and use the RF-2200 as a speaker. Works well for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Make sure you test the AM capabilities of the truck's receiver before going through all these steps, some car receivers are quite good at AM, though the whip antenna setup means they're more sensitive than selective. Driving around with a standard portable radio listening to a distant AM station means your reception will depend on which way the car is facing - you might get a good signal going one direction, but then you'll have to turn and the signal will fade..
    Reception is terrible. That's why I have to go a different route.

Does anyone have a newer CC Pocket? I got one December 2012 and eventually the volume knob crapped out and got rid of it. Trying to see if they make them better now.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    Hi Gene

Which model do you have?
    Steve, the one I have is a generic Chinese brand that is not even branded. I got it from Ebay a few years ago. I use it to play my music through the micro memory card and it works very well.

I live very rural and and in a deep canyon and there's only about 3-4 radio stations I can receive and all of them are weak. My strongest station is broadcast from Medford, Oregon and is on the FM band and is NPR so I listen to radio through the internet.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Does anyone have a newer CC Pocket? I got one December 2012 and eventually the volume knob crapped out and got rid of it. Trying to see if they make them better now.
    Don graciously sent me that defective CC Pocket as I thought I'd try taking a shot at fixing it. My son who works in the electronics industry and was visiting me at the time tracked it down as a burnt out volume control pot.

I contacted C Crane and asked them if they could supply the part or what they would charge to fix it. They responded by saying I would have to send the radio to them for repair. Their repair charges were going to be almost as much as a new radio!

It seemed like a nice little, well built radio but with maybe some inferior parts to help keep costs down. Like Don, I wonder if they've upgraded it.

I bought the Sangean HDR-14, was delivered earlier today, and I set it up and played with it a bit. I like it. Plan to use it as a travel radio, if it works out.

Received the CC Crane EP-Pro I ordered....it has a scratch in the finish that appears to have been filled in to make it look less obvious....needless to say, I didn't even plug the radio in and turn it on. Called customer service to report the damage and ask for a refund. The very nice customer service rep apologized and promised to have a replacement radio inspected carefully and shipped out quickly. I accepted the replacement, which will arrive late this week.

I am not terribly optimistic at this point. The CC Crane website crashed while I was trying to submit my first order. I then ordered by phone with a live rep, but they recorded my email address incorrectly and did not bother to call me when they found their order confirmation was undeliverable. The correct email address should have been obvious, as they spelled the service provider name incorrectly - a very common service provider across the USA. I had to call the company to confirm that the order was filled and the radio was on the way. I still can't believe they sent me a scratched "new" radio. Anyway, I am hoping the good price I was able to get, along with the performance of the product, will reassure me I made the right decision to give it another try.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

I've been listening a strong FM station with my ipod nano 7th gen with Grado SR80s that come with 1/8" stereo mini plug. Very nice!

I've been listening a strong FM station with my ipod nano 7th gen with Grado SR80s that come with 1/8" stereo mini plug. Very nice!

Are you using it as an fm radio or thru the internet?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    Nanos can't connect to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    FM radio. This one station also shows the song and artist.

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 08-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Enlightened

I keep the following 3 around for blackouts (and we've had week long blackouts during ice storms where even cell service went down).

and also a NOAA Weather Alert radio

Received the second CC Crane EP-Pro, replacing the one that came with a scratch in it. Unfortunately, the tuning knob on the second one is loose, and it comes off the spindle. When I first turned it, the turning action was not smooth. I discovered the knob was loose. I pushed it in toward the radio, making it more stable, but it was loose enough to come off - shaking my confidence in the quality of construction. I called CC Crane to ask if a loose knob was to be expected. The customer rep told me it was not normal, and he recommended returning the radio. I agreed to return it, along with the first radio, for a refund. I am disappointed - I think the sound quality and sensitivity of the radio on AM and FM are outstanding, but I just don't think it is a sound investment to keep either unit with their inherent flaws.

Speaking of good emergency radios, I do have a more positive report to make: I had an opportunity to pick up a Icom IC-R6 at a great price, and with a manufacturer's rebate. This is a tiny receiver with an outsized performance. I am interested in using it primarily for aircraft monitoring, but I am pleased to report that it is great also for monitoring the shortwave broadcast and AM (MW) and FM broadcast bands, as well as NOAA weather broadcasts. The speaker is relatively powerful for its size, but for noisy environments a set of in-ear monitors is helpful. Adding a Diamond Antenna SRH77CA antenna improves performance significantly.

Like all Icom handheld's, the IC-R6 has few buttons and no numerical keypad - so you will need to keep the instruction manual nearby. For the same reason, manual programming of the radio's memories, memory banks, and memory and bank names requires a lot of button pushing with the instruction manual at hand. For that reason, programming software from Icom (CS-R6) or Butel (Arc6) is recommended.

A few notes on using the software: I found that in using CS-R6, it most often takes two attempts to get the software to read data to the radio. In using Arc6 I am only able to load about five frequencies at a time to the radio from the database. Within those limitations, however, the software saves a tremendous amount of time and effort in programming the radio's memories, memory banks, and names for memories and banks. Arc6 can download data directly from external databases such as RadioReference's frequency database.
    Last edited by mightysparrow; 08-09-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuru View Post
    I keep the following 3 around for blackouts (and we've had week long blackouts during ice storms where even cell service went down).

and also a NOAA Weather Alert radio

I have a PL-380 expected to arrive tomorrow. Can you comment about it in general, and also about battery life?

And what about the Baofeng? Iím curious about practical uses.

Thanks!
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    🦓🔦

Listening to my Sangean DT-400W out back and had a question, why does distant lightning static the AM station and not the FM?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    Received the second CC Crane EP-Pro, replacing the one that came with a scratch in it. Unfortunately, the tuning knob on the second one is loose, and it comes off the spindle. When I first turned it, the turning action was not smooth. I discovered the knob was loose. I pushed it in toward the radio, making it more stable, but it was loose enough to come off - shaking my confidence in the quality of construction. I called CC Crane to ask if a loose knob was to be expected. The customer rep told me it was not normal, and he recommended returning the radio. I agreed to return it, along with the first radio, for a refund. I am disappointed - I think the sound quality and sensitivity of the radio on AM and FM are outstanding, but I just don't think it is a sound investment to keep either unit with their inherent flaws.
    I have to admire your patience mightysparrow. I would be livid being sent two radios in a row with defects. It seems like CC Crane aka Sangean's build and component quality has been lacking in the past few years. Shame, cause Sangean used to be the pillar of quality.

I forget the scientific reasons, but that's been the case since AM has been in existence. It not specific to any particular AM radio. It happens to them all.

For decades, I've been using that as a method of telling me when a storm was approaching.

When you hear the crackle of lightning static, count the number of seconds until you hear the thunder boom; every five seconds is one mile. If you hear the crackle, then the boom happens 8 seconds later, you're about a mile and a half from where the lightning struck/was generated.

Default Re: Small Portable Radios?

why does distant lightning static the AM station and not the FM?
    A lightning strike is essentially nature's spark-gap transmitter (the radio wave it produces is called a sferic); to a shortwave or broadcast band AM receiver, it looks like a brief amplitude-modulated broadcast, irrespective of where the radio is tuned to, such is how broad a range of frequencies emitted by the strike.

Radios using frequency modulation don't see it as a carrier with its frequency being modulated. Sure, there's a change in amplitude-- but not a change in frequency, so it's largely ignored.

I remember the old Scouting manuals used to show how to use a B&W TV first tuned tuned to VHF channel 13 or 12 (depending on which is unoccupied, 13 is better) and then darken the screen until it only shows a few scattered sparkles. Then, turn it to channel 2 or 3 (depending on which is unoccupied, 2 is better) to detect tornados; I think it was called the "Weller Method". NTSC used AM for the picture information, not FM, so similar to a lightning strike producing static on the AM radio, it produces bars across the screen and supposedly during a nearby tornado the whole screen will light up and stay lit.

Or, you can just use your weather radio and listen for warnings-- this might be a fun experiment to try if you can do it safely but I'm not sure it's really reliable.
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 08-17-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    A lightning strike is essentially nature's spark-gap transmitter (the radio wave it produces is called a sferic); to a shortwave or broadcast band AM receiver, it looks like a brief amplitude-modulated broadcast, irrespective of where the radio is tuned to, such is how broad a range of frequencies emitted by the strike.

Radios using frequency modulation don't see it as a carrier with its frequency being modulated. Sure, there's a change in amplitude-- but not a change in frequency, so it's largely ignored.

I remember the old Scouting manuals used to show how to use a B&W TV first tuned tuned to VHF channel 13 or 12 (depending on which is unoccupied, 13 is better) and then darken the screen until it only shows a few scattered sparkles. Then, turn it to channel 2 or 3 (depending on which is unoccupied, 2 is better) to detect tornados; I think it was called the "Weller Method". NTSC used AM for the picture information, not FM, so similar to a lightning strike producing static on the AM radio, it produces bars across the screen and supposedly during a nearby tornado the whole screen will light up and stay lit.

Or, you can just use your weather radio and listen for warnings-- this might be a fun experiment to try if you can do it safely but I'm not sure it's really reliable.
    Fascinating - Thanks!

Flashaholic*

Funny, reading this because it brought back memories of when I would tune motorcycles in the 1970's when they all used point ignition systems instead of electronic ignitions that they all use today.

I used an AM radio to to tune them! You would tune a portable AM radio between stations keeping it close to the points and then turn the crankshaft clockwise and when the piston, (pistons), reached TDC, (top dead center), the radio would emit a screech or an unusual sound and you knew you were at TDC. Then your points were completely closed and you could check them with a feeler gauge to see if they were within spec. Good memories!
    Last edited by Gene; 08-17-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Hey Gene, you see the Kaito KA29/Degen DE29 Jay Allen reviewed has a "play random file" in its MP3 playback features..

Flashaholic*

Smile Re: Small Portable Radios?

Thanks for the link SH. Finally, a radio/MP3 player that has random play. Wonder why it took so long for all these Chinese manufacturers to provide that feature? My tiny iPod has had it for years.

Jay's reason for wanting it so he can fast forward or backward inside a track of one of his radio shows seems a little odd to me but to each their own. Looks a little too complicated for me though but then again, what isn't? 😉
    Last edited by Gene; 08-20-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 408083848586878889909192 LastLast