ArmyTek        
Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29697273747576777879
Results 2,341 to 2,343 of 2343

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Unenlightened

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

I picked up one of those Kaito KA390s a couple of weeks ago. (See earlier in the thread.) It's a $20-25 US AM-MW/FM/SW/Weather band radio with analog tuning, and runs on 3 D cells. It also has a built-in LED flashlight. I'm happy with this radio. It's monaural but the sound quality is pretty reasonable. The whip antenna telescopes to a nice length. The radio apparently gets 300 hours at a reasonable volume. It won't be a DX champ, but it works well on stronger stations. Like some other inexpensive Kaitos I've used, it has very strange AM tuning where it's tough to get it right on frequency on a weak station, but the strong ones snap in well enough. This will make a great emergency or camping radio and does pretty well for lots of other situations, too. I think this one is going to get an international trip to Idaho to entertain me on eclipse day next week.

Enlightened

Since it's been quiet in here lately, I thought I'd mention my latest purchase.

After the episode with a defective Eton Satellit, began looking again at Sangean offerings (had always been interested in the CCRadio table radios but kept getting put off by the price and the tendency of things [LCD, buttons] to fail). Jay Allen and others give consistent high marks to the PR-D4W and so I gave it a try.

First and foremost it performs, and without glitches. Sensitivity, selectivity, and noise floor are excellent on AM (across the entire band)/FM. Few to no birdles or artifacts. Great battery life on alkaline "D" cells - still on my first set. Is it comparable to the higher-priced CCRadio 2e? Can't directly compare, but I must say it's a real treat sitting outside on a summer night and hearing something on every MW channel.

There are quite a few "gotchas" at this price (but as Jay says, no radio is perfect):
    • Not enough presets
    • Cabinet is a fingerprint magnet
    • No carrying handle
    • No control over backlight
    • No fine tuning beyond assigned channel spacing
    • Automatic bandwidth/peaking during tuning causes brief muting, crimps your bandscanning "style" a bit.
    • No tuning knob or tone control
    • Speaker equalization a bit weird - using the bandwidth control as an AM "tone control" helps quite a bit.
    • No keylock to prevent accidental operation

But if you just sit back and listen, it's quite a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    Since it's been quiet in here lately, I thought I'd mention my latest purchase.

After the episode with a defective Eton Satellit, began looking again at Sangean offerings (had always been interested in the CCRadio table radios but kept getting put off by the price and the tendency of things [LCD, buttons] to fail). Jay Allen and others give consistent high marks to the PR-D4W and so I gave it a try.

First and foremost it performs, and without glitches. Sensitivity, selectivity, and noise floor are excellent on AM (across the entire band)/FM. Few to no birdles or artifacts. Great battery life on alkaline "D" cells - still on my first set. Is it comparable to the higher-priced CCRadio 2e? Can't directly compare, but I must say it's a real treat sitting outside on a summer night and hearing something on every MW channel.

There are quite a few "gotchas" at this price (but as Jay says, no radio is perfect):
    • Not enough presets
    • Cabinet is a fingerprint magnet
    • No carrying handle
    • No control over backlight
    • No fine tuning beyond assigned channel spacing
    • Automatic bandwidth/peaking during tuning causes brief muting, crimps your bandscanning "style" a bit.
    • No tuning knob or tone control
    • Speaker equalization a bit weird - using the bandwidth control as an AM "tone control" helps quite a bit.
    • No keylock to prevent accidental operation

But if you just sit back and listen, it's quite a treat.
    Interesting to read your comments about the PR-D4W. I've been wondering about that radio for quite a while, as the reviews seem pretty good. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29697273747576777879