Olight - S1 - MINI        
Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39798283848586878889
Results 2,641 to 2,648 of 2648

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by lesliewilson View Post
    I was looking at the C.Craines, but have still have a bad taste in my mouth from owning one of their first expensive radios (can't remember the model) 20-sum years ago, that after 5 years or so all the text and numbers became invisible internally in the display.
    That was a known defect of the early CCRadio+ models, but they've updated the CCRadio twice since then, aside from offering a slew of other models that come very close to it in performance. The Sangean PR-D4W is also quite close in performance to the current CCRadio; it's a winner at any price, so if you can find it inexpensively, go for it..

These modern radios have come long way since the early 70's when I used a Realistic TR-F and managed to log all 50 States, all 13 Canadian Provinces and nearly 40 Foreign countries as a teenager in Ohio. A feat I doubt I could repeat today.
    You can still get a wide variety of international catches on shortwave, but the AM band is too crowded now; I managed 12 states listening from near the California coast:

I don't think the BCB airwaves are more crowded now than 50 years ago (but I could be wrong), in fact there could be fewer now as we witness the death of broadcast radio, especially on AM … it was no easy feat hearing AM TransAtlantic stations from eastern North America (southern Ontario to be exact)… having knowledge of what to look for and a great radio and well tuned loop antenna and watching for atmospheric propagation opportunities and sometimes getting lucky ridding sunset skips all played factours. And too, European stations being cycled 9kH apart can separate them from North American stations. I can remember way back being stuck in Toronto evening traffic and being able to tune in powerhouse Algeria on 549 kHz on my car radio like it was a local!

Now my kids can't understand why I want yet another radio in a world where they stream everything they want from the internet. Sigh.

Flashaholic*

After many YouTube videos and much reading, I ended up purchasing the Sangean ATS-909X and I love it! I'll explain my reasoning in another post.
    I look forward to reading your thoughts on the Sangean ATS-909X. I have considered buying the ATS-909x several times but could never pull the trigger mainly because of the reputation of the radio being deaf on the whip. I’m not sure just how accurate the reputation is now because I have read contradicting reviews so your thought would be appreciated. I considered buying the ATS-909X from RadioLabs with their modifications that supposedly addresses the sensitivity issue but at $289.95 it is a bit high given I already have other radios with similar capabilities.

Now my kids can't understand why I want yet another radio in a world where they stream everything they want from the internet. Sigh.
    Because 95% of radio is now homogenized corporate standards; there's no point to tuning into a station a thousand miles away if they're just rerunning the Michael Savage show like half of the other stations in your town..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    My phone is a no data plan.
    This is NOT off topic as I'm still talking "radio" here.

I've been cell phone free until a month ago. My wife's been bugging me for several years, (she has a iPhone 6S), to get one and surprised me with a smartphone that runs the latest Android OS. It's a AT&T Alcatel CAMEOX. She paid $40.00 for it, (we own it), and it's $19.99 a month with 2GB of data. Of course using WiFi like I do doesn't affect the data.

It's is neat but the only thing I use it for is listening to radio and maybe in an emergency so she can call me or me her. I am amazed at all the stuff this thing is capable of but I'll never use them...maybe. I wonder why folks buy iPhones and such that are $800.00-$1,000.00 when you can get something like this for $40.00?

I still use a 1st generation iPad Mini that is no longer supported but it still does anything I need. I lost my iHeart Radio app on it because they now only support iOS 10 and up and of course I can't upgrade but I downloaded iHeart Radio on this new phone and it works wonderfully.

I was wondering if any of you know if iHeart Radio is going to be charging a fee to use it? When I downloaded the app to this phone, it seems like it's a 30 day free trial but maybe I'm wrong. If it is, please recommend a free radio hosting site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    I wonder why folks buy iPhones and such that are $800.00-$1,000.00 when you can get something like this for $40.00?
    I owned a slew of the $20-$100 store-shelf phones before arriving at the iPhone; the cheap phones will do what you want most of the time as long as it's not too complicated, will sometimes have issues with something running somewhere in the background, and generally require some patience with starting up and running the larger apps. Whereas the iPhone is a smaller version of the iPad - if you like the iPad experience, the iPhone at least as fast and reliable. If you're just using a phone as a wifi gadget, $800 would of course be crazy, however if you're using it as the communication/scheduling/coordinating hub of your existence, that fast and reliable experience suddenly becomes worth a lot more..

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    I was wondering if any of you know if iHeart Radio is going to be charging a fee to use it? When I downloaded the app to this phone, it seems like it's a 30 day free trial but maybe I'm wrong. If it is, please recommend a free radio hosting site.
    They just want your email to send you more ads, skip the sign in and use it as a guest. IHeart is very limited in that it's almost exclusively ClearChannel stations, you'll find many more stations over on TuneIn, though that app is missing the stations that are on IHeart, best to have both.

Flashaholic

Hi all!
    Wow! A thread that goes back 10 years! I haven't read every post, but I've read with interest the last few years. In the last few weeks I've been looking for a high end portable myself, and have read every review everywhere. I was looking at the C.Craines, but have still have a bad taste in my mouth from owning one of their first expensive radios (can't remember the model) 20-sum years ago, that after 5 years or so all the text and numbers became invisible internally in the display. However for anyone looking at their radios, I'll share that if you sign-up for their email you will receive a coupon code for 15% off an order of $49 or more.

After many YouTube videos and much reading, I ended up purchasing the Sangean ATS-909X and I love it! I'll explain my reasoning in another post. I think I have caught the dreaded "Radio Collecting Fever" This Seagean brings my total up to about 20 receivers in my shack. I am now I'm looking real hard at the Sangean PR-D4w (Primarily due to the filter selection)… But I was wondering why it's SO much cheaper on Amazon than on the Bay? Is the PR-D4w being discontinued? If so I need to act soon... any speculation would be appreciated.

These modern radios have come long way since the early 70's when I used a Realistic TR-F and managed to log all 50 States, all 13 Canadian Provinces and nearly 40 Foreign countries as a teenager in Ohio. A feat I doubt I could repeat today.

First posting!
    I posted on the PR-D4W upthread. For sheer performance it is an amazing bargain especially when Amazon comes up with those rock-bottom prices. I also have gotten the impression that it is slowly going away - perhaps being replaced by the PR-D14? - but it's still available. Frankly I would grab it - I did, and never looked back.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    I suppose it will wake a teardown to determine the speaker design for sure. While the HDR-14 looks to be a single-speaker HDR-16 crammed into the cabinet of their DPR-65 DAB portable, even physical differences exist. I don't see any reference to the HDR-14's swiveling stand tab on the earler DAB+ model, for instance.

For what it's worth, some reviewers have rated the DPR-65 as sounding better than expected for a 5cm speaker. This may be due to equalization as with their larger portables, and not a passive radiator arrangement.
    However the DPR-65 audio amp has issues; complaints of background hiss even at low volumes. This is an older design, hopefully that addressed that for the HDR-14.
    Well, I did something I said i would not do, triggered by Amazon's tendency to introduce impossibly low prices on things for a couple of days. Getting tired of waiting for the "in progress" reviews on Jay Allen's site and the SWL post, I sprang for the HDR-14. I have used it side by side with its direct competitor (the Nicetex "SPARC" SHD-TX2) for a few nights and a couple of days. Interesting little device.

As has been pointed out by those that read the specs, it is barely larger than the CC Skywave overall. It is made of the same soft, shiny black plastic as the larger Sangean portables (it is alternately a fingerprint magnet or a scuff magnet) but has a much less solid feel. The swivel-out foot on the bottom is a welcome addition and works well.

I have not yet played with other features (memories, etc) except to note that somebody has finally gotten it right in that memory locations store the chosen FM multicast channel instead of just the frequency.

Performance is a mixed bag. This is NOT an HDR-16 crammed into a smaller cabinet; not surprising, really, considering the amount of real estate available for circuitry. Analog FM and HD capture are right up there with the the larger sets and similar to the SPARC. I am unable to reproduce the spurious FM image problem noted by a lone Amazon reviewer. Audio is "just OK" out of the speaker - the SPARC portable is MUCH better with its passive radiator - but just fine for headphones or an external speaker.

However, for AM, that reviewer was spot on. The noise floor on AM is a tad too high and the native sensitivity a tad too low; resulting in "just OK" useable sensitivity on the band especially compared to the SPARC. I had no trouble with AM-HD on the only two stations in NYC metro (WCBS and WINS); however, it was unable to even detect the HD carrier from the station in Philadelphia which I was able to get >50% on the HDR-16 and HDR-18. The selectivity is better than the SPARC due to the DSP active for bandwidth adjustment; witness that I was able to clearly separate stations in Connecticut (600) and Philadelphia (610) from the splatter of local powerhouses at 570 and 620. Unfortunately too, analog AM reception is plagued with DSP artifacts reminiscent of earlier Tecsun sets which can even manifest in odd distortion in adjacent-channel splatter that bleeds into the tuned signal.

I'm still waffling on whether to keep this one. It's a nice little set which is sure to become a collector's item, and its FM performance really is exemplary. But I kinda view the inclusion of the AM band as its raison d'être and in that regard it could certainly do better.

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39798283848586878889