Acebeam        
Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 42828586878889909192
Results 2,731 to 2,755 of 2755

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Thanks, but I already have the PDF. I’d like to have the original printed, to leave with the radio in emergency situations.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    🦓🔦

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to order one with spare antenna, and the plugin AM antenna. Maybe a SW antenna as well.
    Happy to help out a fellow member.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    Jeers to Tecsun

I am in China right now, I bought a PL-380 here, I called Tecsun and they simply can’t send me an English manual. Is not even sending to international mail, it’s local mail. WTF?!?

This is how much companies care about their customers.
    You should have contacted Anna.

Who’s Anna?
    🦓🔦

Default Re: Small Portable Radios?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    Who’s Anna?
    Most likely Anna of anon-co. Her name is all throughout this thread.

I’ll take a look, thanks.
    🦓🔦

Flashaholic*

SH,
    Did you notice Jay Allen's review of the tiny Sangean WR-7 Bluetooth, rechargeable table radio with FM? He sure raved about it's full sound for being so tiny. Price is fairly reasonable too. Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    SH,
    Did you notice Jay Allen's review of the tiny Sangean WR-7 Bluetooth, rechargeable table radio with FM? He sure raved about it's full sound for being so tiny. Price is fairly reasonable too. Looks interesting.
    Looks like a fun little unit except for the lack of AM, FM deserves stereo; I'd rather use the footprint for more/bigger speakers over a tuner, but that would be an awesome bathroom buddy for someone with a specific FM station or two in mind..

Edit: That's one phenomenally small radio, you could cover it with your cell phone..

Last edited by StarHalo; 09-15-2018 at 10:10 PM.

SH,
    Nice. Maybe a black Friday purchase down the road. Is it a proprietary lion battery?
    Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 09-16-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Flashaholic*

I'm not 100% sure Don. From what I can ascertain, it looks like a replaceable 18650 Li-Ion cell.

Here's what I have batteried up / ready to go / use regularly:

ICR-110 - two (2): 1 upstairs next to recliner, and downstairs bathroom
    PL-880 - next to downstairs ICR-110
    DT-400W - next to pc
    GP-5DSP - next to pc
    ICR-100 - near pc, play this one instead of the 110 as a change of pace every now and then

batteried up = when AA Envelop or 3500 mAh EVVA or BL-5C gets low, it gets charged up

I recently picked up a Coby CX90 AM/FM digital pocket radio that runs off 2AAA batteries and needs earphones etc. I got it at a thrift store for $2. It has 10 AM and 10FM presets and DBBS bass boost plus a clock and backlight. I'm not sure but I think I like it better than my Sony SRF-M37W. The only issue I can see with this radio is that FM tuning is 0.1 off as it sounds better when you tune stations 0.1 less on the tuner. This seems to be a common problem with digital tuners when they get old though.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I recently picked up a Coby CX90 AM/FM digital pocket radio that runs off 2AAA batteries and needs earphones etc. I got it at a thrift store for $2.
    Coby went out of business years ago, but the price is right

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Coby went out of business years ago, but the price is right
    Poetic justice, I suppose, that an importer whose main claim to fame was selling similar small electronics using an imitation of the SONY name and logo, should go under just as Sony itself seems to be moving out of those product segments too.

Flashaholic

Finally got one of these a couple weeks ago:

The 200-watt Aiwa EXOS 9 Bluetooth speaker; some observations:

- It's the weight of a 12 pack and the size of a 24 pack; you're not going to fit this on your desk, and if you want it on the counter it'll require that entire section of countertop.
    - The battery is not only replaceable but comes in regular (~9 hr) and double life (~18 hr) variants. There's also an optional remote control, but since your device is the remote I'm not sure what you'd use it for.
    - While it does have snazzy backlit front and top EQ/button screens, both are dark during general operation, in fact there's nothing on the speaker to indicate that it's on other than the rather serious amplifier-like on/off switch on the back.
    - 200 watts means tiny movements of the volume slider translates to broad jumps in volume, it requires patience and steadiness to make gradual output changes.
    - Sound impression: Anyone can tell on entering/coming near the space that there's a sound system with a full subwoofer playing; big full-spectrum volume means you only get so much stereo effect from the one speaker in one location, but if you want to fill the room and neighboring rooms and even some of the outside, this has the guitar amplifier-wattage to do it.

I have owned one of these for about 18 months, and I use it in my basement workroom on a daily basis.

As it is almost impossible to find in stores (my local Best Buy had it listed once, but they were unable to find the inventoried stock even after turning the place upside down) the potential buyer is faced with spending USD$300 on a catalog item, sight unseen (em... unheard). I bought mine based on the hundreds of uniformly positive reviews on Amazon, and was richly rewarded. The speaker system is a phenomenal performer that has the power and, more importantly, accuracy and musicality which makes it suitable for long-term listening. The next-better product of this type costs hundreds more, to a point of diminishing returns on the dollar.

BTW - despite the familiar name, the AIWA branding is merely the result of a start-up company licensing the rights. The manufacturer started out selling cellphone accessories and, in a bit of a masterstroke, came up with this idea.

Flashaholic*

Not trying to be negative and I hope your Coby does you good but I hated Coby in the past. I still have 1 or 2 of their mini radios around here somewhere and they were the worst as far as build quality, sensitivity and sound. They were always dirt cheap though but their quality matched their price.

For $2.00 as SH said, might as well! 😄

I might gonna get one of these soon. I had an older model. Learned about them on Coast 2 Coast AM Radio. Lol

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccra..._5v_ac_adapter

Not trying to be negative and I hope your Coby does you good but I hated Coby in the past. I still have 1 or 2 of their mini radios around here somewhere and they were the worst as far as build quality, sensitivity and sound. They were always dirt cheap though but their quality matched their price.

For $2.00 as SH said, might as well! 😄
    No brainer at $2 for me. So far it seems to work better than expected the tuner is better than some of their junky radios and sound is better than average. I have a cheap coby analog radio that is mediocre probably the quality you are more familiar with.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldog View Post
    I might gonna get one of these soon. I had an older model. Learned about them on Coast 2 Coast AM Radio. Lol

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccra..._5v_ac_adapter
    My A-number-1 choice for a power outage radio, just solidly thought out design; I'd look to one of their other models for casual listening, but if you live where the power sometimes goes out, that one's an easy winner.

Flashaholic*

My A-number-1 choice for a power outage radio, just solidly thought out design; I'd look to one of their other models for casual listening, but if you live where the power sometimes goes out, that one's an easy winner.
    Boy, that is an interesting radio. I live in an area with regular power outages. I had a old Aiwa emergency radio that I bought about 15 years ago and it was crap. The build quality was very good but it had the old very weak bulb style flashlight and terrible speaker. Plus you had to crank it about a million times to get a few minutes of use.

I think CCranes shipping charges are kind of ridiculous and being in Calif., I also have to pay sales tax but I have a 15% off code that would somewhat offset those costs. I'll have to consider this radio as a backup for our regular outages that can lasts for hours and even days sometimes when the snow flies.

Boy, that is an interesting radio. I live in an area with regular power outages. I had a old Aiwa emergency radio that I bought about 15 years ago and it was crap. The build quality was very good but it had the old very weak bulb style flashlight and terrible speaker. Plus you had to crank it about a million times to get a few minutes of use.
    The crank still sucks, but the idea is that it's there - if you're using AA batteries in your flashlights, now you've standardized batteries with your radio; if you don't have any batteries to spare, you can use the radio's internal battery pack; if that battery pack isn't charged, you can set the radio in a sunny window; if there's no sun you can rig an external battery pack; if you can't rig an external battery pack there's still the crank, etc - lots of options to continue getting information regardless of whatever has gone wrong, that's a good emergency radio..

It should also be mentioned that this is a fairly straightforward unit to use with an unremarkably common interface; this is important in an emergency radio as there's no guarantee you will be the one using it - if someone else has to use what's in the power outage kit and the only radio there isn't intuitive to use, that may mean there won't be any radio..

I might offer another solution: right now I enjoy a radio (Grundig Satellit 750, Tecsun S-2000 equivalent) that accepts D-size NiHM batteries. 4 of them (Ansmann D / HR20 Typ 10000). I own it several months already and those batteries were charged only once -- before installation. The radio battery indicator displays full charge... And I use it nearly every day as an alarm clock and a radio for an hour.

Flashaholic*

The crank still sucks, but the idea is that it's there - if you're using AA batteries in your flashlights, now you've standardized batteries with your radio; if you don't have any batteries to spare, you can use the radio's internal battery pack; if that battery pack isn't charged, you can set the radio in a sunny window; if there's no sun you can rig an external battery pack; if you can't rig an external battery pack there's still the crank, etc - lots of options to continue getting information regardless of whatever has gone wrong, that's a good emergency radio..

It should also be mentioned that this is a fairly straightforward unit to use with an unremarkably common interface; this is important in an emergency radio as there's no guarantee you will be the one using it - if someone else has to use what's in the power outage kit and the only radio there isn't intuitive to use, that may mean there won't be any radio..
    You would think these would have come a long ways since I bought that Aiwa all those years ago. They haven't. This thing to me is a still joke. The crank still is severely lacking and I don't care if it takes common batteries as most radios do and the solar charging panel is to me a gimmick even if it isn't. Who is going to remember to put it into the sun or whatever to keep the batteries charged? This radio just seems cheap to me.

You would think these would have come a long ways since I bought that Aiwa all those years ago. They haven't. This thing to me is a still joke. The crank still is severely lacking and I don't care if it takes common batteries as most radios do and the solar charging panel is to me a gimmick even if it isn't. Who is going to remember to put it into the sun or whatever to keep the batteries charged? This radio just seems cheap to me.
    The emergency rafts that come with large boats suck too, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Charging with the sun means you can operate the radio with no batteries at all - that's a pretty good feature for an emergency device.

Flashaholic*

The emergency rafts that come with large boats suck too, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    I do agree with that.

Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 42828586878889909192