Malkoff        
Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3676798081828384858687 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 2599

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Boy, it's too bad I live so rural that I can only receive maybe a half dozen radio stations and all of them are on FM and almost all of them are country music or religious programming, (nothing wrong with that if you like it). On the other hand, it's probably saved me hundreds of dollars on new radios!

Thank God for Internet radio!

Looks like that EP Pro is good value for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Boy, it's too bad I live so rural that I can only receive maybe a half dozen radio stations and all of them are on FM and almost all of them are country music or religious programming, (nothing wrong with that if you like it).
    You've got NPR on AM 620, do you get any other AM stations at night?

Flashaholic*

I can barely get 620, (NPR), on AM SH where I'm at. If I do, it's very spotty and distant. I can get NPR on 88.1 on FM. On some stormy nights with my GE SuperRadio, I can get a few distant AM stations but they drift in and out.

You're kindof deep in a valley, aren't you? Looking at a topographical map and it looks like it's in a pretty narrow valley and getting things from the east or west must be a real pain when the Heaviside layer isn't working in your favor.

Didn't know about your town; looking at Dunsmuir on Google Earth, that's quite a valley! Enjoy your internet radio is all I can tell you. A very pleasant Street View though, looks like it has that mountain village feel, postcard-worthy sights for sure:
    Last edited by StarHalo; 03-14-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    You're kindof deep in a valley, aren't you? Looking at a topographical map and it looks like it's in a pretty narrow valley and getting things from the east or west must be a real pain when the Heaviside layer isn't working in your favor.
    You've got that right about a deep valley. Tall mountains on both sides. Our place is on the east side going north and about half way up the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Didn't know about your town; looking at Dunsmuir on Google Earth, that's quite a valley! Enjoy your internet radio is all I can tell you. A very pleasant Street View though, looks like it has that mountain village feel, postcard-worthy sights for sure:
    Yes, it's postcard beautiful here but terrible for radio reception but that's a small price to pay for living here even though I'm a radio junkie. Yes indeed, I'm thankful for internet radio, when it works.

Right now we're in lots of snow. Winter came late this year.

Hey, can someone tell me how to post pictures? It used to be easy here but I can't figure it out anymore. Thanks.

Hey, can someone tell me how to post pictures? It used to be easy here but I can't figure it out anymore. Thanks.
    When you edit your post to remove the picture you quoted from StarHalo's message, you'll see how the [IMG] tags are used. It's still as easy as it ever has been-- I'm pretty sure it's always been the same way since I joined nearly 17 years ago, and probably even since the 10 months prior to that when you joined.

Upload your image to either a host you own (which is what I do) or to something like Photobucket or Imgur or similar, then get the direct URL to the image (the hosting site you use should be able to tell you how to craft a direct URL to an image).

(The reason you should remove the image from your post above is that you're quoting a picture that already appears once on the page and doesn't necessarily need to be quoted. It saves bandwidth and scrolling for others viewing the thread.)

Flashaholic

Universal snuck this guy onto their site overnight; Sangean HDR-14, AM/FM/HD 5"x3" portable powered by 3xAAs with full data display. Listed as a "future" release with no pricing yet.

Originally slated for January; last month Universal Radio added to their product listing a projected availability of May 2018.

This week Sangean posted the user manual on their US web site. In some ways it looks to be a miniaturized version of the HDR-16; pay no attention to instructions on rotating the (non-existent) tuning knob on the HDR-14.

Interestingly while HD-Radio is a distinctly North American product, the set is otherwise "world-ready" for analog reception as the band plans can be switched as with many travel portables. I would love to see a similar treatment of the DPR-65 including AM reception, but that ship has already sailed.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    Originally slated for January; last month Universal Radio added to their product listing a projected availability of May 2018.

This week Sangean posted the user manual on their US web site. In some ways it looks to be a miniaturized version of the HDR-16; pay no attention to instructions on rotating the (non-existent) tuning knob on the HDR-14.

Interestingly while HD-Radio is a distinctly North American product, the set is otherwise "world-ready" for analog reception as the band plans can be switched as with many travel portables. I would love to see a similar treatment of the DPR-65 including AM reception, but that ship has already sailed.
    The HDR 14 is slightly larger than the Skywave but not by much. I wish Sangean would have given a little more information regarding the speaker. I might be interested in the HDR 14 if it uses a passive radiator speaker and reviews well but with a small speaker that might sound “tiny” like the Skywave I am not sure what the benefit of HD would be except for having a few additional stations and of course if you were using headphones. I believe Thomas may have asked Sangean for a sample to review for his blog, if so I do look forward to reading his review.

4.8" W x 3" H x 1" D CC Skywave
    5” W x 3.2” H x 1.28” D Sangean HDR 14

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    The HDR 14 is slightly larger than the Skywave but not by much. I wish Sangean would have given a little more information regarding the speaker. I might be interested in the HDR 14 if it uses a passive radiator speaker and reviews well but with a small speaker that might sound “tiny” like the Skywave I am not sure what the benefit of HD would be except for having a few additional stations and of course if you were using headphones. I believe Thomas may have asked Sangean for a sample to review for his blog, if so I do look forward to reading his review.

4.8" W x 3" H x 1" D CC Skywave
    5” W x 3.2” H x 1.28” D Sangean HDR 14
    I suppose it will wake a teardown to determine the speaker design for sure. While the HDR-14 looks to be a single-speaker HDR-16 crammed into the cabinet of their DPR-65 DAB portable, even physical differences exist. I don't see any reference to the HDR-14's swiveling stand tab on the earler DAB+ model, for instance.

For what it's worth, some reviewers have rated the DPR-65 as sounding better than expected for a 5cm speaker. This may be due to equalization as with their larger portables, and not a passive radiator arrangement.
    However the DPR-65 audio amp has issues; complaints of background hiss even at low volumes. This is an older design, hopefully that addressed that for the HDR-14.

Although I've been reading this thread for a long time I may have missed something that now interests me.
    I recently (last year) got a smart phone and downloaded my music to it and have it all set up as well as I need but realized a limitation that irks me in that the built in radio cannot be transmitted via bluetooth to my my nice bluetooth speaker leaving me to mess with internet radio and streaming. What I am interested in is a radio that has a bluetooth transmitter. It can have AM/FM and a headphone jack and doesn't need a speaker at all and would be nice to have a good runtime on batteries that match or exceed my speakers runtime. FM only is acceptable and SW and Weather bands would be useful also.
    I figure my bluetooth speaker (JBL Flip 4) is probably going to sound better than most reasonably priced small portable radios here and although I could hard wire it via the 3.5mm input on my speaker it is a lot easier to be able to just grab the speaker itself alone when it is operating and move it around where I'm at without anything attached to it.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Any radio you use a Bluetooth transmitter with on the headphone jack is now a Bluetooth radio. Don't forget the free TuneIn/IHeartRadio apps, which remove reception issues and can often give you better sound quality than the terrestrial broadcast.

Any radio you use a Bluetooth transmitter with on the headphone jack is now a Bluetooth radio. Don't forget the free TuneIn/IHeartRadio apps, which remove reception issues and can often give you better sound quality than the terrestrial broadcast.
    Yes I know I can buy an external bluetooth transmitter and plug it into most radios but was wondering if there were radios with transmitters integrated in them as a more elegant solution that is stand alone not requiring software or internet access. I'm guessing I may just have to buy a bluetooth transmitter circuit and hack a radio or something.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

"Bluetooth radios" just have receivers, not transmitters. Be aware that most Bluetooth systems have a range of ~30 feet; you're talking about moving around with your hypothetical setup, which you could do but only roughly in the same room. There are Bluetooth speakers that have built-in FM radios.

"Bluetooth radios" just have receivers, not transmitters. Be aware that most Bluetooth systems have a range of ~30 feet; you're talking about moving around with your hypothetical setup, which you could do but only roughly in the same room. There are Bluetooth speakers that have built-in FM radios.
    I've heard of them having built in FM and even SD card readers. The range of bluetooth varies with bluetooth 4 and up having ranges in the 60 feet and in the future bluetooth 5 has a max of 800 feet.

The Bluetooth 4 on my iPhone 7 is miraculous, just playing music on a speaker in my kitchen I can actually walk to the adjacent dining room, then continue outdoors, and down the walk a ways, and it continues playing through the Bluetooth connection without issue - it's about as powerful as a wifi signal. I just wish all Bluetooth transmitters were that powerful, the one that came with my TV only goes the usual ~30 feet.

Flashaholic

The Bluetooth 4 on my iPhone 7 is miraculous, just playing music on a speaker in my kitchen I can actually walk to the adjacent dining room, then continue outdoors, and down the walk a ways, and it continues playing through the Bluetooth connection without issue - it's about as powerful as a wifi signal. I just wish all Bluetooth transmitters were that powerful, the one that came with my TV only goes the usual ~30 feet.
    I can attest.

Whenever my wife's iPhone goes anywhere near the laptop having a Bluetooth mouse; the mouse checks out for the duration.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    When you edit your post to remove the picture you quoted from StarHalo's message, you'll see how the [IMG] tags are used. It's still as easy as it ever has been-- I'm pretty sure it's always been the same way since I joined nearly 17 years ago, and probably even since the 10 months prior to that when you joined.

Upload your image to either a host you own (which is what I do) or to something like Photobucket or Imgur or similar, then get the direct URL to the image (the hosting site you use should be able to tell you how to craft a direct URL to an image).

(The reason you should remove the image from your post above is that you're quoting a picture that already appears once on the page and doesn't necessarily need to be quoted. It saves bandwidth and scrolling for others viewing the thread.)
    Thanks much Alaric but when you're my age, (soon to be 70), EVERYTHING on the internet is a struggle! All my old pictures here, (and in this thread), were done when I was a member of Photobucket when it was easy to figure it out, even for an old guy like me! I'm really glad it is easy for you as you've been here on CPF a long time like me but you're much more computer savvy than me.

Photobucket got more and more complicated, (to me!), where I couldn't figure it out anymore. Besides that, it isn't free anymore.

Thanks for your concerns but what's your recommendations, (besides Photobucket), for a non techie like me for posting pictures that is senior compatible, (read EASY!). Thank you.

Flashaholic*

I was sad to hear Art Bell died today. I wasn't a active listener but I think most of us who follow this thread or listens to late night radio know who he is.

Art Bell, whose 'Coast to Coast AM' radio show reveled in the paranormal, dies at 72

I was sad to hear Art Bell died today. I wasn't a active listener but I think most of us who follow this thread or listens to late night radio know who he is.
    Sad news, indeed. When Whitley Strieber goes, it will surely be the end of an era.

So sorry that Art Bell passed.

Bill

Flashaholic*

Alaric,
    You never answered my post above. Hurry up because I'm almost Art Bell's age!

I listened to Art Bell early on and off for a few years when I worked swing shift many, many years ago and his show was entertaining as I couldn't believe people took that stuff seriously. Evidently they did as the show became a cultural icon! I would laugh like hell when listeners would call him with unbelieveable experiences they had and he would take them seriously. It was entertaining in it's seriousness!

I will give him much credit for starting all night talk radio even before Larry King came aboard. I will also give him credit for being a electronics nerd who knew what he was talking about.

I remember when Y2K was looming, he started a campaign to start preparing for it. He got a ton of advertisers to advertise on his show and he hawked everything from pre-packed meals to built-in survial shelters. His advertisement revenues went through the roof! He even built a survial shelter for himself that was breathtaking!

Y2K of course never happened and even Art himself couldn't believe it as he had spent a ton of money for his personal shelter and his advertisers somewhat dried up. Anyone here remember that?

I'm really not stating any of this is to ridicule Art as he was a genius in talk radio as he gave his audience want they wanted to hear. He also was rewarded with lucrative dividends that gave him the ability to live a life of unparalleled prosperity that only a rare few of us could only dream about.

For that, I salute him but have no sorrow in his death as he was able to live life in the fullest and he earned it!

Local Walmart, $80, how far we've come since I started this thread.

https://imgur.com/a/AwOiBYt

Flashaholic*

Jay Allen updated his site today with his AM Portables Mega Shootout list (2018 Update). Still at the top of the heap is the Panasonic RF-2200. New to the five star category is the CC Radio-EP-Pro. If you are looking for a good AM radio the update is a good resource.

AM Portables Mega Shootout – 2018 Update

Jay Allen updated his site today with his AM Portables Mega Shootout list (2018 Update). Still at the top of the heap is the Panasonic RF-2200. New to the five star category is the CC Radio-EP-Pro. If you are looking for a good AM radio the update is a good resource.

AM Portables Mega Shootout – 2018 Update
    And given the strength of the new DSP radios, my Sony 7600 fell to two stars (but it still has Sync, which will net more AM stations than the other non-SSB radios.)

CCrane and Sangean pretty much run the show now, amongst new radios it'd be hard to recommend anything else..

CCRadio has Refurbished CCRadio-SWs on sale.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    CCRadio has Refurbished CCRadio-SWs on sale.
    Direct link to the sale

CCrane also has some refurbished 2Es on sale for the same price (129.99)

Direct link

CCrane and Sangean pretty much run the show now, amongst new radios it'd be hard to recommend anything else..
    I wouldn’t count Tecsun out to fast, I agree on AM Tecsun needs to do a little work but the PL-880 rates pretty high in my book and personally I have no problems recommending the radio to someone looking for a shortwave radio that sounds really good on FM for the size. The PL-660/680 has one of the best Sync of any radio currently produced although again the noise on AM is too high. I guess it all depends on what you’re looking for in a radio.

Flashaholic

The Sangean HDR-14 is shipping and already backordered thru May 25.

The single review on Amazon so far is glowingly positive; with praise for size, overall sensitivitiy, and audio fidelity in spite of its tiny speaker.

As a collector of HD stuff I will probably order one on the next round, once there is some confidence that there are no hidden "gotchas" in the first production run.

Flashaholic*

Boy, has this thread slowed down and Alaric has never answered my post!
    Last edited by Gene; 05-25-2018 at 04:33 PM.

This thread is now TEN YEARS OLD, we radio folk are long term fans..

Boy, has this thread slowed down and Alaric has never answered my post!
    This thread gives instructions on how to post from Flickr; it's a little different from how I do it, but it looks like it works well for everyone, do give it a try so we can see some of your pics..

Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3676798081828384858687 LastLast