Does anyone make an LED home securty motion type flood light?

Drifter721

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone make a LED flood type home security light?

Looking for a motion detector type home security light with a two opposing LED flood type lights to light up the walkway to the front door for a neighbors daughter when she comes home late. It has to be as small (and as powerful) as possible or the homeowner's association board of nanny's won't approve it. Searched and searched. Thought I would ask you experts.

Thank you.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are LED replacements for spotlight bulbs, but they aren't bright enough. They can't be, heatsinking in fixtures is poor. You won't find anything premade that will suit your needs. You may want to either use a bunch of high-flux emitters in a 500W halogen case, or, easier and much cheaper, just use the halogen.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just buy a regular setup that uses the big incan floods and the unscrew them and replace with some of the many LED screw in floods available. DX has some and there are now a lot of LED online stores that carry a variety of standard 120 volt screw in replacement bulbs. The brighter ones are still fairly expensive but ones using a bunch of 5mm LED's are fairly cheap. Of course to get it as small as possible you'll probably have to go after the newer Cree based ones and I haven't seen any of them very affordable.

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen one but you might be able to modify an Incan one to be LED.

:welcome:

+1

you gave me an idea for the next mod, i have 150w halogen floodlight that already have a IR sensor. Should be an easy mod just need to find a metal plate to install several Crees and using DX 220v 700ma LED driver. I have several P4 laying around and the casing si metal already so heatsinking shouldnt be a problem.

IcantC

Enlightened
Someone posted a thread in the home lighting sub forum. They purchased some from Costco, appears bright.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see any motion detection feature on this.

Alan

Of course not. That's just a bulb. A motion detector is a separate piece of kit.

In any case, I think a lot of bad advice is being given in this thread. The LED screw-base bulbs being recommended here top out at 200 lumens, which is less than a tenth of what 150W incan bulbs of the same size are capable of.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any particular reason you want this to be an LED? Energy consumption won't be much from halogens because they're only on for a very limited amount of time, so IMO a stock motion sensor light is your best option. I think you'd have an easier time trying to make something off the shelf look discrete and covered up for the sake of the association, than you will trying to homebrew a decent LED lgihting setup (and then covering that up for that matter, too).