Coleman 8D Family Size LED Lantern

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have this lantern?
4345-701_200.jpg

Specs:
Cree XLamp® XR-E LED 175 lumens on high•Run time 50 hours on low, 35 hours on high on eight D cell batteries (not included)•Four-position switch - Off/High/Low/Nightlight settings•Durable chrome-plated rhino guard•Cool touch LED keeps lantern cool while running•Weather resistant to withstand the elements•Approximately 15.25" x 9" x 9"

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I somehow missed that thread. I'd like a lantern for the inside of the tent trailer. I have never liked using a propane lantern inside it.

I notice Colemen seems to have a 4D version of it that looks pretty much the same:
Cree XLamp® XR-E LED 145 lumens on high•Run time 40 hours on low, 18 hours on high on four D cell batteries (not included)•Four-position switch - Off/High/Low/Nightlight settings•Durable chrome-plated rhino guard•Cool touch LED keeps lantern cool while running•Weather resistant to withstand the elements•Approximately 11" x 7" x 7"•Weighs 1.8 pounds without batteries
4345-700_200.jpg

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lantern is excellent. I still have the original batteries that I bought with it. It also runs off of rechargables(nicad/nimh) well. I think rechargables is the way to go as primary cells cost $10 everytime you have to reload it. It lights up a double car garage well enough on low to see what your doing. Anything else you would like to know about it?

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
I found myself in a store with one today and couldn't resist. Yes, it's pretty heavy with 8 D cells, but no more than a propane lamp with a cartridge.

I not a LEDphile like many of you here, so this is my first real battery lantern. Like the one review I read, the glare factor is high. I gather this is simply a tradeoff you have to accept with a LED lantern.

There are artifacts in the light pattern, buy no where near as bad as some of the pictures I have seen in other posts of other LED lanterns and the light dispersal is even. It does light up a room pretty well, but it doesn't throw anything like the light of a propane lamp.

It's probably equal to a few of my larger Dietz cold blast lanterns.

I'm certainly not read to trade in my Coleman propane lantern for outside, but this will work very well in the tent trailer if I can get it positioned so that the glare isn't right in everyone's eyes.

Thanks for the comments!!!

lilmarvin4064

Newly Enlightened
How does the reflector look compared to the Sylvania AA? I have a modded Q5/sylvania and it's very easy on the eyes, no glare; just don't look at it 90deg. The optics make a big difference, rather than using a diffuser. Why the D cells? One person told me my 4AA (Nimh) was too heavy.

Put a P7 and a nice heat sink in that badboy. waiting for optics....

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a Sylvania to compare. The design is interesting. There is a mirrored cone the decends from the top and some what of a cone on the bottom too (not as pointed). It does seem to give a very even throw of the light in general, but the spot where light emerges from the bottom cone has an extremely bright hot spot.

To me, that seems to be the weak spot in the design.

momax_66

Newly Enlightened
I have the 4D Personal Size version. It works great, will light up entire room, much brighter than my WeatheReady 4D foldable. Press 'n seal will eliminate glare and artifacts perfectly. Running time is 40 hr. high, 18 hr. low. Highly recommend it. 8D Family Size version is probably a little brighter with slightly better running time.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
I have the 4D Personal Size version. It works great, will light up entire room, much brighter than my WeatheReady 4D foldable. Press 'n seal will eliminate glare and artifacts perfectly. Running time is 40 hr. high, 18 hr. low. Highly recommend it. 8D Family Size version is probably a little brighter with slightly better running time.
You meant 40 hours on low and 18 hours on high, did you not?