New Holster From Nite-Ize

Niteowl

Enlightened
I was fortunate enough to recieve the "Nite-Ize Universal Holster" from Steve at Nite-ize to examine and share with CPF. It is listed in their latest flyer and became available last week. I'm told it's currently being carried by Z Battery.com and Bright Guy.com. They do not have it listed as I post this. MSRP is ~$7.99. The card shows a 5/8" to 1-1/2" diameter range for lights.

Here it is as packaged.

I'm forced to use a different image host than I'm used to, so you'll have to click on the following pics for full size.

Here is the business end. It consists of a very stiff back panel, two inner flaps, and a molded outer cover held by two bands of elastic that pass over the inner flaps. The cover is held onto the elastic by an inner sleeve that allows the adjustable nature of the holster. On the back is a polymer clip.

A side view showing the clip. It is hooked for good retention. It can be a little difficult to un-hook. The card shows 2-3/8" for maximum belt size, I think 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" is optimal.

The clips rotates and has very positive detents every 45 degrees. Note the rivets securing the clip.

The demonstration subjects.

It's a bit bulky for a Mini-Mag holster but held the light securely. I held it upside down and shook it vigorously. The smooth body allowed it to slip out some but if I went through that kind of motion I probably would be worrying about the light at that time. A regular, knurled Mini-Mag held better.

My Dereelight DBS fit quite nicely after removing the clip and ring, which are no longer necessary. I could vary the hold by how far I inserted the light. This light held up to shaking upside down very well, not going anywhere!
DBS

The largest diameter light I tried was the Mag 2C series. Also very secure.

Here is a 3C on my belt. I was able to run without it flaying all about and had no worrries about it falling out. Very secure carry.

For fun I tried running with the 6C. My neighbors already think I'm nuts so nothing new about me running adround the yard with lights. It tended to move around more, but much less than using the ring method of carry.

The DBS in its rightful place. This is the light I had in mind for this holster. I must say thay are perfect for each other.

I've had this a week and have used it daily. The only "flaw" might be that it takes time to get used to inserting the larger lights as the outer cover is pulled in by the elastic at the bottom as the light is inserted. After a while I got the angle down. Be aware it takes some effort to insert and remove the larger, "grippy" lights. This is not a loose fitting holster. If you want an open secure holster, this is it.

One future concern might be how the elastic will hold up over time. I figure if it gets loose, I'll use it for a larger light. For $7.99 I'll just get another for my DBS.

Overall I think this holster is a winner and thank Steve at Nite-Ize for giving me the opportunity to be one of the first to try it out.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's a nice looking Universal holster. Reminds me of the Maxpedition Universal Sheath. But the price tag is definitely more wallet-friendly.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. The clip is a little like a RipOffs that I have. It's good that it is not easily removable for my purposes.

Do you think a Law Enforcement Officer could sprint a block or so with a 3D in it without the light coming out?

Thanks for the review, NiteOwl. I didn't know about this product. Now I want a couple of them.

Niteowl

Enlightened
.......... Reminds me of the Maxpedition Universal Sheath. But the price tag is definitely more wallet-friendly.

Now that you mention it, there are indeed similarities to the Maxpedition sheath. I had looked at that model in the past and decided against it, being a little too utilitarian looking for me and not wanting a cover. The Nite-Ize price is more in my range also.

........Do you think a Law Enforcement Officer could sprint a block or so with a 3D in it without the light coming out?.........

A "D" size light is a little too big as the stated diameter limit is 1-1/2". I tried a "D" and it's really pushing it. I do believe a 3C would stay put just fine while sprinting. The above mentioned Maxpediton would work for a 3D.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that you mention it, there are indeed similarities to the Maxpedition sheath. I had looked at that model in the past and decided against it, being a little too utilitarian looking for me and not wanting a cover. The Nite-Ize price is more in my range also.

A "D" size light is a little too big as the stated diameter limit is 1-1/2". I tried a "D" and it's really pushing it. I do believe a 3C would stay put just fine while sprinting. The above mentioned Maxpediton would work for a 3D.

I see. Well that works for me. I'm down to only one 3D as a HotWire and a few 3Ds as LEDs. The 3D HotWire is great for taking pictures as it has an Otokoyama PMR heavy stipple in it. All the other HotWires are in the C format. Love Cees.

If the elastic is similar to the GripN Clip well that stuff holds up a lot better than I thought it would. Got it on a 5C for three years now and no sign of wear.