Effectiveness of Strike Bezels for Self Defence

dandruff

Enlightened
I know a lot of our US members carry guns for self defence purposes.

for those of us who are outside the US, what are your thoughts on the effectiveness of flashlights with strike bezels for self defence? are they quick to deploy?

could they be a liabilty in the sense that you might be deemed carrying a "weapon"?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I hope i never have to use mine for self defense.I bought a solid SS head/bezel from light hound to put on my 9p.It's very heavy and pretty sharp.I wanted to see just how much damage it could do so i put it on an old beater light and hit an old hollow core door i had kicking around.The damn thing punched through it like it was paper!If you ever hit any one with this thing it is going to cause some serious damage.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
As you can see from the first replys this subject comes up every once in a while. (A search would have revealed that easillily (neat word creation huh? :) ) General consenus is it doesn't help if you can't use it + for us regular people it's usually not so easy to intentionally hurt someone..

One thing I might add to anything without training is useless: Anything *with* training can be useful. A simple newspaper when used correctly can deliver a powerful strike albeit there's a lot of training involved.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I saw a link to a website that shows a glass break bezel for smashing car windows.

I don't necessarily think I'd ever use a flashlight for self defense, but a glass break bezel or attachment would be handy in emergency rescue.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a fan of kubaton or flashlights for self defense.

I am sure they can be effective and have there place. However, I believe you can be more effective without one than with one.

Most people I see with a Kubaton/flashlight use a hammer strike which is one of the more easier strikes to block and take a person down to the ground.

I also do not like using pain for self defense. If you come across someone who is pumped on adrenaline or is high on drugs the less effective it becomes.

Last edited:

dandruff

Enlightened
meh. i thought search was still down.

i understand good training is important and all, but where on earth does one get
flashlight kungfu' training?

i guess my main concern is, will i be lulling myself into a false sense of security.

i originally thought the idea of using a flashlight as a weapon was a little silly.
but after somethought, i can see a few merits. they are probably safer in untrained hands than knives, and once you carry a knife, you are inviting trouble from the law as well.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure flashlight fighting has its merit, since the concept is pretty much based on Kubotan. My best defensive tactics is to avoid uncessary confrontations, and if I can't ... well I've been lucky so far (knock on wood). For me at least, I think the strike bezel is good for the emergency situation where you have to break windows. The only thing is that the flashlights that I have with strike bezels are pretty small (< 3.5"). Finally, the strike bezel is also good in ripping holes in my pants :whistle:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some of you may already know, there are parts of the Human anatomy that if struck in a specific manner will cause death... as I don't believe this is an appropriate topic of discussion I won't (and I hope other's don't) elaborate any further on such specifics... it's suffice to say that a crenelated bezel can cause sufficient injury as to warrant it's prohibition in some parts of the world ;)

GPB

Enlightened
"anything without training is useless"

I have never been trained in the use of a baseball bat...but if I was getting mugged, I'd rather have one than not have one.

I think common sense and avoidance are the best methods of staying safe...but if you find yourself in a situation where you're going to exchange blows with someone, you use whatever you have on hand. If I had a pen, I'd stab him with it, if I had a hot coffee, I'd burn him with it, If I had a light with a strike bezel, I'd hit him with it. I don't have any training with it...but its got to hurt the bad guy more than hitting him with my bare hands. NO ONE should ever get into a situation thinking thier flashlight is going to get them out of it.....but if you are in a situation, use whatever you can get your hands on.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're on the point. Being smart and avoiding the situation is the best defensive tactics. Of course, you don't always have control over it. When push comes to shove, an untrained person will basically use anything at their disposal for defense/offensive. The most important thing is not to think that the strike-bezel flashlight will scare the assilant away and most importantly, don't let it you the false sense of security.

"anything without training is useless"

I have never been trained in the use of a baseball bat...but if I was getting mugged, I'd rather have one than not have one.

I think common sense and avoidance are the best methods of staying safe...but if you find yourself in a situation where you're going to exchange blows with someone, you use whatever you have on hand. If I had a pen, I'd stab him with it, if I had a hot coffee, I'd burn him with it, If I had a light with a strike bezel, I'd hit him with it. I don't have any training with it...but its got to hurt the bad guy more than hitting him with my bare hands. NO ONE should ever get into a situation thinking thier flashlight is going to get them out of it.....but if you are in a situation, use whatever you can get your hands on.

greenLED

Flashaholic
GreenLED's first post in that thread pretty much sums it up. Any tool is worthless without training.
Man, that green guy sure likes to blabber on endlessly about that topic. :crazy:

Sorry, guys, that old post of mine was at a time when the topic of "blinding your opponent" and hyping lights as ultimate defense tools was making rounds on CPF (again).

Yes, lights have a place as a defensive tool, just like anything else. But, no, they're not the protective shields some people would like us to believe.

Off the soapbox...

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Yes, training obviously does help but I personally believe anything is better than nothing in a self-defence situation.

If all you carry is a flashlight when you're on the streets, and you think there's a chance that you may be a victim of mugging, then why not put a more aggressive bezel on your light.

Chances are good you'll never have to use it, but if that need should ever arise, I believe it can be a very effective weapon, training or no. Particularly if you can deliver a strike to the face.

Of course, staying alert and walking with purpose with one hand in your jacket pocket doesn't hurt either.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of you are justifying the use of a Kubaton/flashlight.

I suggest sparring with a partner at your local judo or brazilian jiu jitsu school and see if it is a self defense tool you really want to use.

generic808

Enlightened
Hey, if it came down to it and I was left with an option of having a pen or a SF 6PD, I'd take the 6PD every single time. Something is better than nothing. Of course, I have my Glock 26, then a Ken Onion Scallion or a Ken Onion Cyclone in my pocket :whistle:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i understand the OP's pain, in a country where you cant carry a knife in public beyond maybe a SAK... oh sure you dont usually get caught, but still, its not legal

Crenshaw