Which lights for the "one bag" business trip?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've managed to dodge the business trip bullet so far, but I'll probably get stuck with one sooner or later so I'm thinking ahead! :D

I've started reading some of the tips from that "one bag" website. So, based on the traveling light(weight) approach, and my (small) inventory of flashlights, I figured I'd see if CPF'ers had some inputs.

The lights I've got available are

1AA Task Force (1 watt Luxeon)
1AA River Rock (Nichia, aspheric version)
2AA MiniMag LED
3AA MiniMag LED
3D Mag LED (upgraded from incan)
2C Task Force (Cree)

(I've got a couple of generic 3AAA led lights too, but I'm not including them in the list here)

I normally EDC the 1AA Task force on my belt (along with a multitool) plus the 2AA MiniMag LED in my jeans pocket. However, for one of these business trips I'd probably be walking around most of the day and I think that keeping size/weight down would be a priority. So I'm thinking I'd carry the 1AA Task Force and 1AA River Rock, and leave others at the hotel room.

I'm a bit undecided if I should bother with the big throwers (3D Mag / 2C Task Force). I think they'd be more for "fun" than real functionality in this case, and that probably wouldn't justify the extra size and weight in the bag.

I really haven't done much traveling so I'd appreciate tips from more experienced people. Thanks in advance! :wave:

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
Stresstest,

As a general rule, I agree with the idea of keeping things light. I would keep the larger lights at home.

Of the lights that you listed, I would recommend carrying the 2AA and/or 3AA MagLeds. Because of their ability to tailstand, you may easily use them for ambient light if you happen to be in a hotel room if/when the power goes out.

When weight has not been an issue, I have occasionally thrown my 2D Maglite ROP in the bag. From other posts I've read on the forum, I have learned that incan light cuts through smoke better than LED. Could be helpful in the unlikely event of hotel fire.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly it kinda' depends on the nature of your 'business trips' if for example you'll be assessing structural integrity of a structure/plane etc. I'd be lugging along the biggest/baddest light I owned, however if if simply to maintain your 'lumen fix' I'd go with the two you've already suggested :thumbsup:

BTW that 1AA River Rock is a nice looking unit! :D

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I normally EDC the 1AA Task force on my belt (along with a multitool) plus the 2AA MiniMag LED in my jeans pocket. However, for one of these business trips I'd probably be walking around most of the day and I think that keeping size/weight down would be a priority. So I'm thinking I'd carry the 1AA Task Force and 1AA River Rock, and leave others at the hotel room.

I'm a bit undecided if I should bother with the big throwers (3D Mag / 2C Task Force). I think they'd be more for "fun" than real functionality in this case, and that probably wouldn't justify the extra size and weight in the bag.
I travel a lot on business, and am a great proponent of the "one bag" philosophy.

As I recall at an earlier point in time, Doug used to recommend the original Inova X1 on his onebag.com site - simple, reliable, small, long-lasting, and runs on a commonly available 1AA. My travel bag has always had a 1AA light in it (typically a Fenix, JetBeam or Rexlight multi-level light).

I think you are spot on with your thinking - stick with your two 1AA lights (a backup is always a good idea). There's typically no good reason to bring a C or D cell light with you. Something like the 2AA Fenix L2D would be brighter anyway, and still pretty small.

If you want to see how some current multi-level 1AA lights perform, here's my current round-up review:
Multi-stage 1AA Review - Part III: Runtimes, beamshots & more!

:wave:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
My carry only one light was an SFL1 for ages and served me well, however I'd now struggle to reccomend anything better than a Novatac 120P.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd take the 1aa task force light and back it up with a keychain light (fauxton). In fact take a 10-pack of fauxtons, they are handy gifts. The 2aa and 3aa lights are too big to be worth bothering with.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify a bit (because someone asked), the lights wouldn't be required for any specific business purpose, other than to have on hand for those "oops now what" situations when you unexpectedly need a light.

seattlite

Enlightened
I've gone on numerous business trips, foreign and domestic. I've NEVER put any of my lights in my checked bag. I've always carried one light on me and one light in my computer bag.

Lights I've carried on me: A19/FB1 body; KL4/FB1 Body; KL1(Seoul P4)/FB1 Body; and my new favorite Novatac 120P. The Novatac offers the best combination of features(low light, turbo, strobe, and a pocket) in a very small form factor which I can EDC it using jeans or slacks.

In case I need more light, I usually carry a 2 cell light, VG F2/P91, or P3D Rebel, in my computer bag. The 2 cell light also does double duty as a battery holder for my 120P. Depending on the trip duration, I bring extra RCR123's and sometimes a small 1 cell charger.

Common denominator for all these lights is that they all use RCR123's. I don't like to use primaries, and I've always been able to find an outlet to charge up my cells. But, I have yet to do that during my typical business trips.

GPB

Enlightened
Like someone else said, a lot depends on the nature of your "business". If you are going to a big city hotel/taking cabs to the local convention center, etc, you probably wouldn't need anything that runs a long time or is super bright. If you are staying in way out of the way places with questionable accomodations, long car trips, etc.....you might want something with some burn time.

I'd probably bring one of the single AA lights, the 2xAA MiniMag LED, and a half dozen spare batteries ( either primaries, or freshly charged NiMh )

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm a big fan of AA and 2AA lights for travel purposes. Wide variety to choose from. Lights geared for output, or those geared more for runtime.

In the unlikely event the batteries die, they're easy to replace.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My business trips typically involve indoor offices and urban surroundings. The most I've ever needed is a low level reading type light (currently a Gerber IU). for long flights and such. Sometimes I'll carry another small light, but I"ve never found an actual use for a second light.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to consider is the possibility of losing your light(s) by forgetting it in the rental car, hotel room, or a client meeting room.

With that in mind, what I do is whenever I travel for business, I don't take my best lights. I take my mini-mag 2AA with Nite-ize LED drop-in, and the Coast 1AA Coast LED Lenser. If I need a more powerful light, I take the 3AAA Leatherman Monarch Cree light. So at least 2 lights.

I wouldn't cry if I lost / forgot any of these lights, and they provide useful light on the airplane, especially when the lights are off during the red-eye flights. I also find the lights very useful while driving rental cars, to make sure I don't forget any valuables in the car upon return. And the lights give me peace of mind in the hotel, especially during emergencies so I can use the lights to guide my way out.

Only when I'm traveling to see family / friends / vacation do I take my better lights, like my Fenix / NDI / JetBeam, etc.

paulr

Flashaholic
Here is what I took on a 6 week trip a couple years ago:

1) Fenix L1p, usually powered by a crappy 1600 nimh cell
2) Arc AAA
3) Lacrosse BC900 charger and several AA and AAA cells (used in lights, camera, and music player)
4) Several fauxtons, ended up giving them all away.

There was not much street lighting where I was staying, so I used the L1P quite a lot, recharging the battery a couple times a week or so. The Arc AAA also came in handy, especially during a week or so in which I thought I had lost the L1p (it had fallen between couch cushions).

For some outdoor occasions I could have used a much more powerful light but something like an L2D wouldn't really have been enough of an improvement. It would have taken something like a multi-Cree. So basically the lights I brought were enough.

If you don't want to bring a charging system I'd say use lower powered lights that can run easily on alkalines, or (short trip) bring pre-charged nimh or lithiums. Even alkalines were not easily available where I was (the local batteries were zinc-carbon) so the nimh system was a big win. But its space requirements were substantial.

If I were doing it with 1 light and no charger, I'd probably take an LRI Proton Pro and a pack of precharged Eneloops or L91 lithiums. Plus the Arc AAA as backup and as a handsfree light (clip to baseball cap).

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Peak Matterhorn 3LED (AAA)

Fenix L2D (AA)

Novatac 85P or 120P (or EDC versions) - CR123 or RCR123

Personally, I would take all three. As they say in the military: "two is one, one is none."

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
P1D with Leef body is EDC in pocket. In my bag I'd pack my Zebralight H50 (best headlight I've ever used hand down - this is my AA light), and my Surefire L1 Cree. 4 CR123 primary spares, and a 4 pack of AAs, and I've got months of light.

The problem with the one bag method is that you can't pack a pocket knife. I feel just about as naked without one as I would without a light. I suppose you could mail one ahead to your accomodation location and mail it back again, or buy a cheap SAK once there and gift it to a host.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
You are going to be away from home and depending on this one flashlight to do it all, so I would not be playing games. Simple answer is to buy a Olight T-20 with over two hundred lumens, adjustable output, strobe and SOS. Order the Tenergy RCR123 charger and four batteries. These batteries will fit some of the higher end flashlights when you are ready.:twothumbs

cobalt

Newly Enlightened
I normally travel out of town by automobile so packing is not a problem.

However, I always carry at least one light that will cut through smoke and fog. If there is a fire, or bad weather, or if the power goes out, you are going to need something that can throw light a good distance. In a strange environment, an incandescent light can help you see what's behind a car, down an alley, up the stairs, etc.