Fitorch        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NiMh Shoot Out Part II

Flashaholic

Default Re: NiMh Shoot Out Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    A number of flashlights found on CPF can draw as much current as a camera flash. Eneloops perform well in such lights, as well as low-draw ones, for that matter. If you do a search of this board, you should find at least one or two load-based tests of the Eneloops.
    Yes it does but that Camera Flash test reveals that the 2700 mAh AA's outperform the Eneloops which is contrary to what I expected.
    Fenix TA21 | Olight M20 Warrior | Eagletac P20A2 | Solarforce L2 | ITP A3 EOS Ti | Lumapower Vantage | LED Lenser Police Focus |

I took a couple of my AccuEvolution LSD D cells and charged them with a MH-C808M charger (at 2 amps) and allowed them to stay on the charger for an hour after the "done" indicator. Then rested them for an hour and discharged them at a rate of 1 amp with a MH-C9000 using a homemade D cell adapter.

Here are the results:

Cell 7 8866 mah

Cell 8 8950 mah

----------------------------

I am now charging them at C/10 (1 amp) for 16 hours. I'll rest them, then discharge again at 1 amp and post the results.

Edit: C/10 charge for 16 hours and 1 amp discharge with c9000:

Cell 7 9603 mah

Cell 8 9472 mah

-----------------------------

If I'm not mistaken, the standard discharge rate for testing is .2C, which in this case would be 2 amps. So, after the C9000 discharge tests, I'll try some with a CBAII at 2 amps.
    Last edited by Russel; 02-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crockett View Post
    Exactly,
    I can link to post done by a photographer that compared Sanyo Eneloop vs PowerEx Imedion AAs and it came to the exact same conclusion as the different thread that was linked above. The Imedion gave a slight increase in the number of shots but Eneloops blew away the Imedion on the time it takes for the flash to recycle to full power and ready for the next shot.
    Do you mean this post http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...88&postcount=6

The test conducted was different, in that he is testing the time for a burst of five pops of the flash, which is a more 'real world' use pattern for a photographer. After the first 100 pop the difference is 3.84s for IMEDIONs and 3.37s eneloops for 5 pops, so the difference in flash refresh rate between the 2 battery brands is 0.094 seconds per pop, with the eneloop faster. I would not say "eneloop blew away IMEDION in the time it takes to recycle to full power"

As you say, if flash refresh rate is 'king' for you, then the Powerex 2700mAh AA's are the best choice. For the LSD battery user, the benefit of a faster refresh rate of 0.09s from the POTN test, or 39 pops in a minute compared to 45 pops in a minute from the photomalaysia test vs the benefit of a 5 % longer runtime before recharging from IMEDION (in both tests) is down to personal preference. Some will want the slight speed edge, some will want the higher capacity.
    WolfEyes Sniper 260 | WolfEyes Angel HO
    PROtog | Australian distributor for MAHA Powerex NiMH Batteries and Chargers

Flashaholic

i could test the imedions but my vencon is limited to 6a

and i need to order some from somewhere
    I like cheese!

VapexTech AAA Instant 950 mAh batteries test: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?326806

I'd love to see a set of the hobbyking Turnigy AA 2200mAh LSD batteries at $1.29 each tested.
    I'll try to remember to grab a set on my next order, and I'd be willing to ship them over, but that might be a while.

Unenlightened

Hi There

Can someone please direct me to the manner (with what ?) the tests on these bats where done>

Thanking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Agarob View Post
    Hi There

Can someone please direct me to the manner (with what ?) the tests on these bats where done>
    Generally there are 3 tools used when testing NiMH batteries:

1) MAHA MH-C9000 can measure capacity (LaCrosse BC-700 and BC-900 can do the same).
    2) CBA fro West Mountain Radio can discharge any battery and generates a curve on a computer.
    3) Hobby charger can discharge and charge any battery and some models can generate a curve on a computer.

There are also some more advance battery test stations, but they are more expensive.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty[hk] View Post
    I'd love to see a set of the hobbyking Turnigy AA 2200mAh LSD batteries at $1.29 each tested.
    I'll try to remember to grab a set on my next order, and I'd be willing to ship them over, but that might be a while.
    Long ago I asked that someone should also include these batteries in their tests. So far no one was willing to bite. I have more of them than I have Eneloops, just because I feel they are 98%v just as good as the Eneloops. Just need someone who do these proper tests too agree with me.

Hi.

I bought some "Ansmann Global Line AAA 1000mAh NiMH" and did a break-in test with my MH-C9000

789, 799, 771, 781 mah

Then i did an charge/discharge at .2c

783, 783, 768, 781

They are no-where near 1000mah

Thanks

John.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

I've been seriously impressed with some (UK-based) 7dayshop 'good-to-go' 2150mAh cells I just bought.

I should mention my C9000 seems a little pessimistic, never seeming to rate any of my many Eneloops quite as highly as other people seem to report.

With the previous-generation supposedly 2100mAh 'good-to-go' cells I was typically getting capacity readings about 100mAh or more less than from Eneloops, but that wasn't too unexpected or disappointing since the cells were rather cheaper.

With the current 2150mAh variants, I bought 16, which were between 1693-1751mAh on arrival.
    On testing 4 cells pulled straight after charging showed complete in a cheap smart charger, I got 2165 to 2185mAh.

On testing 8 cells which had been smart-charged overnight, and so possibly topped up with a bit of a trickle, I got 2180-2240mAh out, which was impressive given I didn't expect to get even the claimed capacity.

Cells are slightly thicker than Eneloops, and about 2g heavier.
    They may well be worse in various other aspects, but for a rather cheaper cell they're seeming pretty good so far.
    Last edited by uk_caver; 10-11-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: corrected wrong mass figure

uk_caver, where were the batteries manufactured?

Bill

There's nothing to indicate place of manufacture on the cells - they came in plastic 4xAA holders, so no packaging as such.

For what it's worth about the only possibly useful features for identification I can see are the 'pip on the positive end has, running around it at the level of the white 'washer' are 3 slots, each about 1/6 of the circumference (where an Eneloop would have 4 small holes) and the raised disc on the cell base is slightly smaller diameter than an Eneloop.

Mass is 28.00-23.33g according to my cheap digital scales compared to 26-26.3g for Eneloops (so 2g heavier, rather then the 1.5g I wrote earlier, earlier post now corrected).

Hey guys, So I tried to make heads and tails of the charts and graphs but honestly I have no idea what im looking at. Im going to be purchasing a Fenix LD22 and I was told it was better to use a NiMH than alkaline batteries but there seem to be a LOT of options as far as those are concerned and I dont know if one is really that much better (more likely some are just crappy and Id want to avoid those). Is this something I can purchase at the checkout line of my grocer or something specific I should be ordering online. Any recommendations?

Silver Moderator

Hello Axforts,

Welcome to CPF.

Basically the cells that have larger numbers for milli watt hours or milli amp hours will give you longer run time. In addition, you are looking for a higher voltage under the load you expect the cell to perform at. A cell that gives you 1.2 volts under load is better than one that gives you 1.1 volts.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Banned

Just get either Eneloops, or, if extra 25% runtime (at 50% increase of cost) is important to you, Eneloop Pro's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12