DIY - 17.5 MCP to H4 55w HID host conversion

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Professional's Favourite (MotorPRO) 55w HID host conversion

Professional's Favourite (MotorPRO) 17.5Mcp rechargeable spotlight
D.I.Y. - H4 HID conversion

Recently I purchased a MotorPro 17.5MCP rechargeable spotlight from a local retail store 'Kmart' for about $45.00 AUD (you can find additional details in the 'good deals' forum) and was firstly blown away by it's performance and sheer size (it's a monster sized spotlight) but quite disappointed by less than adequate run times, I was looking for a solution...

Along came CPF's KrisP with an offer to share a (relatively) cheap Chinese 4300K HID kit purchased from eBay, eventually we agreed on a 55w unit :twothumbs

175mcpspotlightac5.jpg

batterycompartmentst6.jpg

Unfortunately the ballast complete with it's protruding connectors would not fit the available space in the spotlight's casing, thus some modding will be necessary :D

175mcpinternalsep9.jpg

hidballastcasing2xo0.jpg

Relevant Dimensional Specifications:

Battery compartment (W) 68mm x (H) 98mm x (D) 150mm
Ballast casing (W) 80mm x (H) 90mm x (D) 30mm
Reflector (W) 123mm x (D) 90mm
Total mass (modified) 5.0kg

Step 1 preparing the ballast
The excess aluminium was cut off the ballast housing (using a hacksaw) and filed down to remove any rough edging, the socket pins were also cut back flush with the ballast casing.

cutdownplugyl4.jpg

The bulb-to-ballast loom had it's connector removed and wires stripped back & soldered to the 2 shortened ballast output pins (ensuring correct polarity).

solderjointpx9.jpg

Next heat shrink was applied to protect & re-enforce the soldered feed connection.

I carefully cut & peeled the metal crimped cover off (the high voltage line) to gain access to the aluminium collar underneath, this in turn was slowly trimmed away with a hacksaw making sure as to NOT pierce the high voltage line (which would've effectively ruined the ballast), the modified ballast unit was then simply affixed with that wonderful double sided foam tape primarily used to hold external automotive protective door trim/strips in place.

Step 2 - building a H4 mounting collar/focus shim

I made 3 attempts to create a suitable shim/collar ending up with the one you see below, with a bit of trick grinding/tool work I was able to retain the original wire clip retention concept for the HID globe, the added clearance equaled 11.38mm (using my digital caliper) :grin2:

hidcollarv2uz4.jpg

Specifically I took a piece of 50mm (inner diameter) steel tubing in this case from an old bed frame and cut a 23mm collar from it, making 6 vertical cuts approximately 11.62mm in depth (positioned in relation to the tongues of the globe base) I folded them down to support the globe base (because 50mm tubing is slightly too big), next with the grinder (and cutting wheel) I made 2 horizontal slots opening one up for the retention clip (see diagram below)

hidbulbcollarkc9.jpg

hidcollar3ah3.jpg
hidcollar4ba7.jpg

The H4 HID globe was secured using the original bulb retainer spring however due to differing bulb characteristics the HID bulb sits too far into the reflector assembly causing an over focus effect complete with nasty artifacts (still nice and bright though!)

I compromised between a beam without artifacts & a tight focus point, personally I prefer the pencil beam characteristic & thus was it my goal when setting up the HID globe, below is a beam shot (comparison) using exactly the same set of parameters (note the slight hint of artifact on the unfocused HID), sorry I don't have a tripod for my camera ;)

animatedfocusda5.gif

Well that's pretty much it for this project for the moment it didn't turn out too bad IMHO, performance is good for an all up cost of around $100.00 AUD though I wouldn't mind using the original low beam feature somehow but that's for another day... perhaps an LED auxiliary lamp OR built in voltmeter? any questions? suggestions feel free to post in this thread :thumbsup:

EDIT - I finally purchased a decent digital camera so here's the long overdue 'true beam shot' this image is of a local derelict farm house located 300 meters (328 yards) from the roadway ;)

Shutter speed of 2.5sec - Canon Powershot A590IS

pfhidqx9.jpg

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 17.5 MCP to 55w HID host conversion...

IIRC the total kit was in the vacinity of $100.00 AUD (delivered), so it only cost me $50.00 AUD :thumbsup:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice tutorial and pics, thanks for taking the time to explain the mod and write it up.
cheers

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used a piece of PVC pipe to back off the bulb for a nice spot using a 35W HID bulb

Maybe it can handle the heat of the 55W bulb, From what Ebayer did you purchase the ballast and bulb from?

AlexGT

BVH

Flashaholic

Similar situation. You could either drill/punch some new holes higher on the rim or cut the retainer into two pieces and install each one separately. Try different positions until it applies tension on the bulb.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Once you spaced the bulb back with the PVC, how did you hold the bulb in place?

Easy... using a metal collar with tongue points for the HID globe, then pot rivet the 'collar' in place on the original reflector mounts :thumbsup:

**N.B. added final project data to original post**

Last edited:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice mod, especially after you got the bulb focused to the right spot :)

Shane

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

As with any HIDs, Outdoor shots please :) :):)

Hmmm... that should prove to be a good trick, our digital camera is only rated as ISO100 even taking pictures in artificial lighting conditions (inside/fluorescent) has proven to be beyond the capabilities of this camera :shakehead

I did get to play around with it after work (on the way home) and noted it significantly out threw my 4x4's 130w spotlights even in the foggy/misty conditions of last evening...

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

Hmmm... that should prove to be a good trick, our digital camera is only rated as ISO100 even taking pictures in artificial lighting conditions (inside/fluorescent) has proven to be beyond the capabilities of this camera :shakehead

I did get to play around with it after work (on the way home) and noted it significantly out threw my 4x4's 130w spotlights even in the foggy/misty conditions of last evening...

Very nice mod!

I remember you asked me about the 17.5mcp when you saw it in my avatar.
Now I have something else very powerful in my avatar.:naughty:

I have the exact 17.5 million candlepower spotlight you have, except mine is "Professional's Favorite" branded.

Even with the stock 120W H4 mine has a brighter hotspot than my Power On Board HID, so I can't imagine how bright it must be with that HID!

And you really picked the right light for an HID mod, because it has a larger reflector than the 15mcp Thor and the Costco HID (I have heard the 15mcp Thor and Costco HID have the same size reflectors, and my 17.5mcp has a larger reflector than my 15mcp Thor).

Where did you get your "Motorpro" version?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm currently getting around the 40 minute mark for runtime which was better than when it ran the 120w H4, could be my SLA isn't up to snuff as I expected a little more as far as runtime goes, perhaps a 12mAh might be in order?

Hopefully to KrisP's delight I've managed to fit the ballast unit flush to the rear of the reflector cavity (details in opening thread), suffice to say there's now plenty of clearance behind that HID bulb :D

I'll endeavour to try and 'borrow' a better quality digicam for some nice night beamshots... I can't wipe the grin off my face whilst using this thing, sadly now because I've been spoilt by such lumen output even my 50w hot-wire M@g seems a little lack luster :ohgeez:

I've already been requested to do another 'upgrade' to my Father-in-law's MotorPRO spotlight (purchased earlier the same day) so I might be busy again soon (those collars took a few hours of painstaking measurement & trimming), in fact it's got me looking at what I used to think was a pretty good set of lights on our 4WD and thinking HID retro fitment! :devil:

Pila_Power

Enlightened

Well after reading all of this I just HAD to rush out to K-Mart and buy myself one of these BIG hosts... and I got a pleasant surprise - 25% OFF SALE!!! So I scored one of these bad boys for $25!! Oh yeah baby!!

I might go back for another one after reading you were told they are on clearance M@elstrom.

I found the same seller and got an auto kit (2 x bulb, ballast etc) for $100AUD and matched the H3 bulb and 4300 colour temp. Hope you guys don't mind! :)

So, do I make 1 or 2 of these? I'll start out with 1 and see if any of my mates wants to buy the next one I make.

I will post back with more deets after the parts arrive, hope you guys don't mind if I ask a few assembly questions along the way?

Cheers,

Pila.

KrisP

Enlightened

You'll have to ask M@elstrom as mine is still sitting around incomplete... I've been too lazy :(

Make sure you've ordered a H4 kit, not H3.

Pila_Power

Enlightened

AAHHH!! Why is this please?

I'm just emailling them to change to the H4 now... I ordered H3....

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

AAHHH!! Why is this please?

I'm just emailling them to change to the H4 now... I ordered H3....
Because the 'host' base is different... this project uses a H4 (dual halogen style) automotive globe fixture NOT the H3 spotlight/driving light type globe socket :thumbsup:

PM sent :D

Last edited:

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
Re: DIY - 17.5 MCP to 55w HID host conversion

What batteries is it running on? The original ones that came in the light?

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Re: DIY - 17.5 MCP to 55w HID host conversion

Yeah i think the orig batt is a 12V 7mAh SLA??

Mine's charging right now but I didn't pull it out yet to see what value it is.

I hope to stuff a few smaller series wired SLA's into a backpack for a portable pack. Either that or run it off a car 12V system.

Thanks for the H3 / H4 advice, I confirmed my order with them today and specified for the H3 to become H4.... fingers crossed....

Off to go buy another host tomorrow!! :)