replacement battery for LM HID

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a VERY sweet deal on a Light & Motion ARC HID however i am told that the light does not run for much over an hour, so i am looking into options so that it frees up the bottle cage. also its the older version with the water bottle battery. Keep in mind i dont need 3 hour runtime like the lithium ion packs. I gues once i get it, hopefully by thursday next week, it will be on my bike i am getting tomorrow.

Last edited:

iced_theater

Enlightened
Beyond buying a new battery from L&M, it's probably going to be a custom battery you'll need to make.

My NIMH L&M Arc has a runtime of about 3 hours, if it's the same connector then I'd say just get the NIMH as it's probably cheaper and your able to mount it underneath the top tube as well.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess i might just use the water bottle battery for a bit, like i said before, i dont need 3 hours of runtime, I still would like to locate an extra bulb for it/ where can i get that? For $57 its a steal for a complete HID system

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it today, The head does appear to be glued on. I cant wait for it to be dark so that i can play, even though i dont have my bike yet.

mechBgon

Enlightened
I got it today, The head does appear to be glued on. I cant wait for it to be dark so that i can play, even though i dont have my bike yet.

Be aware that HIDs have a limited number of startups per bulb (I hear L&M says to expect about 700 per bulb), so don't waste too many in the course of playing with it :candle:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
bump on my above question, and ICED yes i had to specail order the bike and i decided on the 4300, I liked the shocks on the 4500 a bit better as well as the shifters. I am going to get it thisafternoon, i also told them to put on some road tires.

iced_theater

Enlightened
It looks like any of Trailtech's battery's will work, or any battery for that matter as it appears you have to do the splicing and putting on connectors yourself.

That 40 watt HID would be unbelievably bright, though would be the perfect choice for a flashaholic bike rider :D I'm just not too sure how well a LEO would tolerate it on city streets.

Nubo

Enlightened
Yeah i know, Thanks

on a side note, what kind of pack and switch would be needed for this

http://www.trailtech.net/4251-SX.html

Interesting light, if it really does accept 12 to 30 volt input as they claim. This would give you a lot of options for battery packs.

But, since you already have a working L&M HID system, you might want to consider what it takes to have a reliable and trouble-free experience. The battery pack and charger is a big part of that. L&M has an excellent charging system that actually uses the change in temperature of the battery to sense end of charge, and its light head also will shut down the system before it is totally drained. Both of these features serve to protect and extend the performance and longevity of the battery pack.

If you bought this new light head, and built your own battery pack and wiring, you might have a great experience too, but remember that rechargeable batteries have requirements that need to be met for them to have a long useful lifespan. The L&M package takes care of that for you. If you "roll your own", you need to learn how to meet those requirements.

Good luck and have fun!