BlackShadow
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The BIG Lights

Default Re: The BIG Lights

Although ~500 lumens isn't much anymore, ya gotta just love the 500 LED video that circulates every once in a while here. The homebuilt power supply was most impressive.

... and the light itself, well..., it certainly was, well..., 'big'...
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

This Summer/ Fall, with the help of family and IgNITEor, I finally installed a 1,200 watt HMI bulb into the 36" Gorilla, completing it's journey. This light brightly lights up mountains over a mile distance.

Last edited by LightSward; 10-28-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

Resistance is futile...

Does fourSevens XM-18 count ??
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Currently at 72 inches in diameter and almost the lumen output of the 60 inch Carbon Arc GE or Sperry WWII searchlights makes this 72 inch diameter searchlight the largest diameter searchlight in the World when completed in March 2014...this Spring and certainly very bright, starting with a 4kw HMI bulb with the equivalent light output of a 12,000 watt carbon arc, or similar to the 60 inch WWII classics lighting our skies!.

When funds permit, the bulb and control equipment will be swapped allowing the 72" World's Biggest and then becoming the Brightest single bulb searchlight. Four of my 24,000 watt HMI, (equivalent to nearly 100,000 watt halogen or arc wattage) will be all that's needed to be brighter than the current 39 inefficient 7kw Xenon searchlights it takes to make the single beam on top of the pyramid hotel, Luxor, in Las Vegas. My reflector technology has come a long way and this should be much better than previous ones, allowing for an even thinner, more culminated beam.

Here is the latest. I have to re do the load bearing as the half inch bolt bends too easily, but was more than adequate on the other searchlights I built.

Well here's the searchlight on its stand first trial run. I need to strengthen the base stand with more than a half inch bolt. The searchlight is actually 74 uneven inches in diameter around the edges, as I left some extra for trimming purposes.

There's the preliminary setup. The half inch bolts that was used for the main support bearing has to be enlarged...

Another angle of the somewhat finished searchlight.

The Yoke to Base interface needs to be reconfigured. A little set back but a challenge that should result in a good improvement. .

This thing is going to rock!
    Last edited by LightSward; 05-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.

60 watt light bulb from across the street. about 1/633th the eventual light output of the searchlight from 600 lumen to 380.000 lumen and beyond.

Here is just a 60 watt test bulb for preliminary focus and alignment.

60 watt incandescent bulb = 15 watt CFL 600 lumen. Searchlight will have 380,000 bulb in a couple weeks. Makes four focused spots on a tree 150 feet away. Will converge them into one soon.
    Last edited by LightSward; 05-13-2014 at 01:43 AM.