PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV LED light recommendations?

Default UV LED light recommendations?

I'm looking to acquire an UV LED flashlight, preferrably using AA or AAA batteries.

Are there any decent ones available these days?

Main purpose will be to hunt for scorpions, look for leaks, dirt, etc... Prefer not to spend too much money (ie more than $40 / $50) if possible since it will be a specialized light. Will consider more expensive models if there are compelling reasons to.

Thanks in advance.
    Mini split rings for attaching lanyard trick. D10 DIY diffuser trick.

Flashaholic

Default Re: UV LED light recommendations?

I bought mine from www.batteryjunction.com & you can even get the CPF discount to save a little money. I got the MiniMag "drop-in" by TerraLux. I also got a few of the UV fauxtons. From what I've read on here, the Inova UV lights are really nice, I know I love all of my "regular" Inova lights. Search for "violet" at the site and you should see all of their UV lights.

Roger

I use a 12 led UV AAA light available from DX, KD and QCG.

It looks like this
    http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ult...u12-p-344.html

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1300

I hunt scorpions, money identification and personal ID documents. It does it all plus is usefull in locating urine stains from the dogs. I have had a number of them purchased by individuals working for the TSA for ID checks and they use it over their very expensive flourescent UVs.

I paid under $5, they come in black and silver finishes. The links here and above start @ $5 and go to $11, it is the same light, shop around.
    <; )}}}}>< I fish therfore I am... pic links: '03,'07,'08

the terralux UV dropin for the MAG-AA is very nice. i modded a stock reflector for it instead of using the supplied one to get a better hot spot.

It's got more than enough power to hunt scorpions or whatever you wanna do with it.
    If it ain't bright, It ain't right!

Tons of choices, many using AA/AAA: http://www.batteryjunction.com/uluvliulvipr.html

I've had excellent results with this one...

http://store.advancedmart.com/allhosaandse.html

...and also the other variants are good too as the LED they use are of a low wavelength (370nm).

Tubor, how bright is that one? The shorter wavelength UV LEDs that I've had have been rather weak. If that one has decent power I'd jump on it also.
    Veni vidi velcro

Flashaholic

LED-holic ;

I've built and sold a couple hundred UV lights over the last a couple of years.

I started with eight 5mm 395nm LEDs powered by a lithium ion 1350 mah battery.

Then I tried 20 to 50 of the 5mm 380nm LEDs powered by 1800 mah lithium batteries.

Next came the 1 watt Cree UV 395 nm LEDs with 2200 mah lithium batteries.

Now, I build mainly Cree 3 watt 395 nm LED lights with 2400 mah Lithium batteries:

1. A single Cree 3 watt in an UltraFire C2 body.

2. A Triple 3 watt Cree in a double #18650 body.

3. A 6 X 3 watt Cree UV with Integral Heat Sink (AC powered).

Each light worked a little better for fluorescing the the common items such as urine, scorpions and UV dyes.

The 3 watt UV Crees are the leader in my testing.

Larry
    UV Lights, Panasonic 3400mah #18650 cells available

Quote Originally Posted by LEDite View Post
    LED-holic ;

I've built and sold a couple hundred UV lights over the last a couple of years.

I started with eight 5mm 395nm LEDs powered by a lithium ion 1350 mah battery.

Then I tried 20 to 50 of the 5mm 380nm LEDs powered by 1800 mah lithium batteries.

Next came the 1 watt Cree UV 395 nm LEDs with 2200 mah lithium batteries.

Now, I build mainly Cree 3 watt 395 nm LED lights with 2400 mah Lithium batteries:

1. A single Cree 3 watt in an UltraFire C2 body.

2. A Triple 3 watt Cree in a double #18650 body.

3. A 6 X 3 watt Cree UV with Integral Heat Sink (AC powered).

Each light worked a little better for fluorescing the the common items such as urine, scorpions and UV dyes.

The 3 watt UV Crees are the leader in my testing.

Larry
    For myself I have run out of reasons for any new white light since there seems to be a this or that around here to do any job but... a powerful UV does sound good.
    If you want to spend just $5 and it is a cash issue the the 12x 5mm light is great. However I like very much the idea of the cree UV 3 watt, just think of how many hosts are out there to build a single or up to a 4x emitter 3 watt UV by just switching out the emitters! The TM-800x3 was once the most LED lumens you could get, 3X Luxeon III, LOL!, and I had to do something with the bodies I had when technology past me and my TM-800x3 by. I modded and I have some powered on 4x C cells and a 3X Ds, both SCC and Cree upgrades and they cannot come close to the MTE P7 in out put now. They need new life, with that battery capacity they burn a long time and with your UV Cree idea I see a weekend project. Thanks, Larry, for the idea. Looks like I need to swap the emmiters out of these again:
    To tri-build or not to tri-build a LED light
    Where did you get the UV Cree, what is the Vf? Are there any UV modules like the drop in IR out there? How useful is the strobe mode on UV?
    I see where you could build a multi-LED mod and have a selective use of UV backed up by White for special purpose lights.

I have three open mod projects on my bench and I keep thinking once I finish them I am going to semi-retire as a flashaholic and pursue other interest. Then the "pusher" comes around and offers another hit.
    Larry, you really know how to tempt a weak person.
    <; )}}}}>< I fish therfore I am... pic links: '03,'07,'08

Quote Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
    the terralux UV dropin for the MAG-AA is very nice. i modded a stock reflector for it instead of using the supplied one to get a better hot spot.

It's got more than enough power to hunt scorpions or whatever you wanna do with it.
    Do you mean this one?

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle4uv.html

It appears to be 395nm. I always used 385nm.

I bought the Inova X1. I can say I was a little disapointed. I thought it would show much more than it does. Maybe I expected too much, and I'm not sure if it is just this light or all UV lights but it is not as much fun as I thought it would be. The US money band will glow, Urine barely glows, and blood does not glow at all, and to top it off UV lights can be dangerous to the eyes. Unless you have a real and specific use for one I question buying one. But, if your interested in an new X1 PM me.

My 2 cents.

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Flashaholic

Northern Lights;

The Cree UV's are hard to get today. Cree has quit making them.

The Vf is a little higher on the 3W UV's. Typical is about 3.8 VDC @ 700ma.

The strobe is fairly effective. The pulsing effect makes target items stand out.

Larry
    UV Lights, Panasonic 3400mah #18650 cells available

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4334
    Put this on a star board and install it in anything. You won't be disappointed. I put mine in an Element from Sams club and all I can say is holy crap this thing is bright (for UV that is).

For less money you get one from Kai that's already on a star.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=3246
    Last edited by carbine15; 05-26-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Flashaholic*

The brightest I have are the INOVA X5UV and a 2C Mag with a TerraLUX Mini Star 2 TLE-5UV + PR adapter.The X5 uses CR123s but I use two lithium AAs in adapters in the 2C Mag(eliminates weight and provides a little more power).One nice thing with the Mag is that you can use/remove the reflector or use an aspheric lens to get the beam you desire.

how bout the amilite T5 UV? http://www.amilite.co.kr/product.asp?gc=678
    Although i havent really heard much on the UV model though...
    Fenix L1P|Golston 7W|Fenix P1D CE|Ultrafire C2|Ultrafire C3| Ultrafire WF-502B|Fenix L0D RB80|Solarforce L2 + Dereelight 3SD Q5|2008 Olight T10 Q5|Jetbeam Jet-1 MK IBS|Led Lenser P5|Proton Pro|Zebralight H501

Flashaholic*

Is there anything reasonably bright but also in the 375nm range? Most of the lights mentioned above are 395nm or higher. My little Photon Freedom UV does a nice job in the 375nm range but I'd like to see something brighter without costing an arm and a leg.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    Is there anything reasonably bright but also in the 375nm range? Most of the lights mentioned above are 395nm or higher.
    It looks like this Streamlight 3xC cell might give you the best of both worlds. You can either run 3 395NM LEDs, 3 375NM LEDs, or a white xenon bulb, all in the same flashlight:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/3C...75_NM_(UV).php

How careful do you have to be protecting your eyes while using these UV lights? I see the warnings, and I'm never stupid enough to shine any of my flashlights directly into my eyes. But how careful do you have to be to avoid illuminating shiny objects that could reflect the light back into your eyes? Are there protective goggles that both enhance the effect of the UV light and protect your eyes at the same time?
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Yapo View Post
    how bout the amilite T5 UV? http://www.amilite.co.kr/product.asp?gc=678
    Although i havent really heard much on the UV model though...
    I'd like to know more about this one as well. Does anyone know at what wavelength this light operates. I can't seem to find an answer on the Amilite website.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    How careful do you have to be protecting your eyes while using these UV lights? I see the warnings, and I'm never stupid enough to shine any of my flashlights directly into my eyes. But how careful do you have to be to avoid illuminating shiny objects that could reflect the light back into your eyes? Are there protective goggles that both enhance the effect of the UV light and protect your eyes at the same time?
    As a matter of reference, a regular fluorescent blacklight tube operates at 365nm. These are the blacklight bulbs that you see in Spencer's gifts and other similar stores. It's also the wavelength used in bug zapper lights This wavelength is a little bit shorter than most UV LEDs.

I've never seen warnings for longwave blacklight fluorescent lamps. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to stare into them, of course, but they do put out more UV energy than the average UV LED flashlight.

Shortwave UV sources are another story though! UVC sources clock in around 254 nm, and at this wavelength the light can kill germs and damage skin cells because it's able to break down molecular bonds in living organisms. Naturally this wavelength is VERY bad for your eyes.

I have yet to see a shortwave UV LED in person. Currently they're only available in extremely low powers and at extremely high prices. For those applications that need UVC radiation, a quartz fluorescent "germicidal" tube is still the way to go.

Thanks all for the replies. I will be ordering a UV light (or two) very shortly.
    Mini split rings for attaching lanyard trick. D10 DIY diffuser trick.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Tubor, how bright is that one? The shorter wavelength UV LEDs that I've had have been rather weak. If that one has decent power I'd jump on it also.
    It's about twice as bright as my 51UVLED "brightest UV flashlight in the world" (I don't think they had thought of the 3W Cree UV LED's when they said that though) I bought off of ebay last year. The wavelength isn't as low as a UV florescent tube - as there is more visible light - but it florescences from a long way away and is very good for coloured money markings and stuff that "normal" UV LED's won't fluoresce properly (like the markings on a Euro or some UK money).

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    I'd like to know more about this one as well. Does anyone know at what wavelength this light operates. I can't seem to find an answer on the Amilite website.
    By way of a follow-up on the Amilite Neo UV, I sent the manufacturer an email this morning requesting additional information. Kevin responded this evening to say that the light operates in the 395 to 410 NM range at a flux of 200 mW. I've since noticed that their website has been updated to reflect this new information as well.

It's apparent that most of the experienced UV light users participating in this discussion favor a beam operating lower on the UV spectrum in the 360 to 375 NM range. Compared to some of the other offerings we've seen mentioned in this thread, do you folks feel that the sheer output of the Amilite Neo UV could make up for the fact that it's operating at a somewhat less desirable wavelength?
    Last edited by Bronco; 05-28-2008 at 01:50 AM.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill

I say get an Arc UV built like tanks and easy to find batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by striwa88 View Post
    I say get an Arc UV built like tanks and easy to find batteries.

But not very bright.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    As a matter of reference, a regular fluorescent blacklight tube operates at 365nm. These are the blacklight bulbs that you see in Spencer's gifts and other similar stores. It's also the wavelength used in bug zapper lights This wavelength is a little bit shorter than most UV LEDs.

I've never seen warnings for longwave blacklight fluorescent lamps. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to stare into them, of course, but they do put out more UV energy than the average UV LED flashlight.

Shortwave UV sources are another story though! UVC sources clock in around 254 nm, and at this wavelength the light can kill germs and damage skin cells because it's able to break down molecular bonds in living organisms. Naturally this wavelength is VERY bad for your eyes.

I have yet to see a shortwave UV LED in person. Currently they're only available in extremely low powers and at extremely high prices. For those applications that need UVC radiation, a quartz fluorescent "germicidal" tube is still the way to go.
    Bingo.

If you don't need a 'flashlight' style light, the cheapest and 'best' route to go is with a fluorescent style light. You can get a 4 AA powered fixture in Walmart and most other discount stores for less than $10. Then get a 4 watt black light bulb (<6 inches from prong to prong) available as a replacement for a bug zapper and you're ready to go. It's the proper wavelength and more powerful than any of the 5mm LEDs. BTW, this lower wavelength than the other 375 - 4xx talked about here has less visible light, so you can't 'see' the brightness as well and might think it is weak, but it will fluoresce better.

If you don't need a battery operated light, Walmart sells a 24" fixture with bulb for $10 and it is the correct wavelength. (I've used UV in my business for curing resins for the past 18 years).

You should use eye protection for these lights.

For small and convenient, the ARC does the best job of the little lights that I've seen, but for serious use it's probably not the best choice.

I like Larry's approach. Those Cree emitters are amazing. Did they really quit making them?

Shorter wavelength does NOT mean more fluorescence. Various compounds absorb light preferentially in a narrow band and re-emit at another frequency. 395nm seems to work great for scorpions.

The fluorescent lights have been pitiful at best. Even the larger ones have not done a very good job. I probably had the wrong wavelength. Also tough to put a 2' fluorescent light in your pocket while picking up scorpions.

The Inova X5uv is perfect for indoors. It has a nice controlled flood pattern with a reasonable output. You don't want high output with reflective surfaces nearby.

The Streamlight dual spectrum seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was junk. The little Inova put it to shame. The batteries finally leaked in the Streamlight due to disuse and I threw it away.

The Teralux drop-in for the mini-mag was very unimpressive. Very blotchy with the reflector, and wasted light without. Surprisingly weak for a 1 watt rated emitter.

I am still on a quest for the best outdoor light. A Maglite conversion with 3 Cree uv emitters and wide Fraen lenses seems ideal, especially if I can get it to run at different power levels.

fwiw, I find several scorpions per week around my house. I even kept a desert hairy as a pet (and to test lights, of course). His name is Spike
    I relocate the harmless types, but the centroides (bark scorpions) meet a swift end.

gerG

Quote Originally Posted by gerG View Post
    Shorter wavelength does NOT mean more fluorescence. Various compounds absorb light preferentially in a narrow band and re-emit at another frequency.
    Correct, however the term "more fluorescence" can be taken the wrong way. I collect fluorescent minerals and I've found that the shorter wavelengths reveal far more variety of fluorescent rocks than the longer wavelengths, especially 395nm. For those who want to identify certain living things like scorpions, you might find that 395nm works as well as or better than shorter wavelengths. Some objects even fluoresce brightly under blue light, well into the 400nm range. The phosphor on a white LED is a good example of this; shine a blue LED onto a white LED and you'll see a brilliant yellow fluoresence. Shine a UV LED on that same white LED and you'll get next to nothing in terms of a fluorescent response.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 03-22-2011 at 06:32 PM.

UV LED

I know there a multiple threads concerning UV lights, but can someone recommend a good UV LED light? Are the Nichia LEDs still the ones to beat in this area or has something better come out? I am not too familiar with UV LEDs that are available. Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus1 View Post
    UV LED

I know there a multiple threads concerning UV lights, but can someone recommend a good UV LED light? Are the Nichia LEDs still the ones to beat in this area or has something better come out? I am not too familiar with UV LEDs that are available. Thanks for any advice.
    I own the Arc AAA UV, which utilizes the Nichia 375nm led, and find it useful. There is one from Inova too, but it uses a higher wavelength LED (more blue light).

-Amarendra

Flashaholic

I recently purchased this particular UV light:

http://www.ledshoponline.com/8_led-f...ht.htm#375nmUV

It has a filter on the lens that blocks out most of the purple/blue light so what you are left with is a torch that seems to produce no light until it is turned onto something such as a white surface, head-lice, some insects, stains, dust. It's quite freaky to use due to the fact you see almost no light, so you cannot use it like a normal torch to light up an area.

For example, I have a kitchen that has mainly earthy colors, including the floor tiles. When I switch off the lights and use the UV torch, it's almost pitch black because nothing shows up until I shine it onto something white and all of a sudden I have this flare-up of light!
    Flashlight Selection Process: Pick any two, and only two of the following: Bright, Cheap, Long-Runtime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast