GITD torch

DocD

Enlightened
could you make a torch powered by lots of V10 green and a UV led as the charger light source as a map reading light ? any thoughts

paulr

Flashaholic
could you make a torch powered by lots of V10 green and a UV led as the charger light source as a map reading light ? any thoughts

Er, you could, but why would you want to?

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
some random but semi related thoughts

for glow powder mixed with epoxy, is there a specific depth at which the glow powder at the bottom cant be charged by light? and also, is there a specific depth at which the glow from the glow powder at the bottom cant be seen? ie whats the most efficient glow powder depth? it seems like there would be such a spec. then the rest is about coverage and surface area...

DocD

Enlightened
Aspherical Lens maybe i could use one to help focus the light as they come in a lot of sizes or maybe not ? i don't know but i'm sure some has a idea :thumbsup:
Oznog has given me a lot of info on GITD depth and stuff as you have done many thanks for the input:twothumbs

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
could you make a torch powered by lots of V10 green and a UV led as the charger light source as a map reading light ?

As a technical matter it should work fine. I'm not sure if it would have any advantages. One way to find out...

DocD

Enlightened
any know the best wave number that V10 charges at, i may have used the wrong word but i hope you get what i'm asking:thumbsup:

warlord

Enlightened
This is a flashlight I got for free. It's a single 5mm LED modded to a Nichia GS. It uses optics for some really good throw and expands into a lantern. I coated the inside of the lantern area to diffuse the light and give me several hours of glow when off. I thought briefly about going UV but I don't need that as much as white light.

I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Sorry about the crappy pictures, I didn't feel like pulling out the camera so these are phone cam pics:p

tn_SSPX0050.jpg

tn_SSPX0052.jpg

tn_SSPX0053.jpg

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue light will be a more efficient "charger" than UV, both due to a higher percentage absoprtion by the GID/fluorescent powder, AND the fact that blue LEDs are far far far more efficient.

Also, IMO going with a straight flouorescein based fluorescent dye, and not GID, would probably be preferable for a flashlight.