Alkaline leak observations and how does alkaline leak?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally experienced my very first alkaline leak while in storage.

In a plastic case, with about 20 alkaline batteries of various brands, all brand new. A Rayovac leaked what looks like white wet powder/residue. The surprising thing I notice is that the white residue made it's way through the spaces in-between the other batteries. Almost like it flowed, capillary style. But it did not collect at the bottom of the plastic case. It only coated the side of the other batteries where the side touches other batteries.

When alkaline leaks, does it leak slowly or does it leak all of a sudden, spraying it's contents all over?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, was the Rayovac Made in USA or China?

There is another thread discussing leaking Rayovac cells and those leaking cells were all Made in China.

I haven't encountered a leaking cell in quite awhile, but when I did, it was the bottom of the cell that had leaked and had the white stuff around it.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they leak clear liquid electrolyte that can flow by capillary action. When the clear liquid dries it leaves the white residue behind.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't encountered a leaking cell in quite awhile, but when I did, it was the bottom of the cell that had leaked and had the white stuff around it.

You guys probably already know this, but alkaline cells are reverse construction from other types of cells. The anode (+) is the body as opposed to the cathode (-), so the "seal" is at the bottom, instead of the top. :)

Dave

Illum

Flashaholic
I once took off the protective sleeve of four energizer AAAs, popped them in a holder, shorted them briefly then discharged them using a 4.5V hobby motor I ripped out from a $1 hand held fan.

the white fluid came out near the top and bottom end cap, light viscosity at first but it thickened as it dried [preseumedly forming crystals]
If a load is kept on them during the leak it will seem like the cell is venting a gas of some sort thats bubbling out of the fluid.

I did this accidently some 3 years ago while demonstrating an inverted "inboard out drive" design I made using nothing but legos under water:naughty: