NiteFighter

Thread: Streamlight Survivor LED

Question Streamlight Survivor LED

Anyone have any hands on with these?http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=137

Would it make a good outdoor light for close to mid distance tasks? How would it perform running off AA NiMH? I would keep Eneloop's in it and run 2700's when I know it will be used.
    Last edited by pobox1475; 05-27-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Enlightened

Default Re: Streamlight Survivor LED

I have owned one for a little over a year. It is a very durable light, perfect for outdoor use. I think it is good for the use you describe. I have only run mine on the rechargeable pack, but it lasts longer than what it's specs. state, and the " low" setting is very useable.

It has a pretty narrow beam and if you can open up the light, you can double the output(for the same runtime) by swapping in a current gen LED.

It should be durable and throw a decent distance.

I'd say more of a mid range light because of the narrow beam.

What king of beam would you like?

Floody or throwy?

Floody would probably be best. I would rely on my headlamp for distance.

Would a floody headlamp like the Zebralight H50 or H30 work? They essentially have no hotspot.

Au Re: Streamlight Survivor LED

Have not decided which Zebra to get. One is at the top of my list. The Survivor would be a supplemental light source.
    Last edited by pobox1475; 05-27-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Crackup Re: Streamlight Survivor LED

Quote Originally Posted by pobox1475 View Post
    Have not decided which Zebra to get...
    I would recommend a young zebra with healthy stripes. This way you get a good chance of housetraining and also he will be easier to spot.
    >====>Rocketman
    Fenix TK40, PD30 R2, PD30 R4, LD10 R4 | Streamlight Stinger DS LED, Polystinger LED, Strion LED, Scorpion LED, TL-2 LED | Surefire 6P/M61L | Malkoff MD2, Hound Dog/MD4/McClicky | Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor

Hahaha Re: Streamlight Survivor LED

I would recommend a young zebra
    No, I'll stick with a mature well tested one. The younguns don't have the long run times I desire.

Quote Originally Posted by pobox1475 View Post
    Floody would probably be best.
    Then the Survivor probably isn't the light for you. Remember, it is designed to cut through smoke, which requires a tight, narrow beam.

Sigh Re: Streamlight Survivor LED

Now I see. Guess your right, TY.
    I think I'll look into small battery powered lanterns.

You could try our new Fire Vulcan LED. I will be purchasing one very soon. It will give you the best of both words...it's the same size as our standard Fire Vulcan, but it will weigh under 2lbs.

Wink2 Re: Streamlight Survivor LED

Gimme link.

Anyone thinking of getting the Survivor LED, don't. 3 of 4 we have at my fire station have had the switch go bad.

I am thinking of getting an LED Survivor. Question: If I buy the Alkaline model and use rechargeable NiMH AA's, will a Survivor charger base (intended for the internal NiCD pack) charge the AA's properly?

Thanks,

Dave

PS I've not read about switch problems dkelly mentioned, anyone think this is a widespread problem with these lights?

Quote Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
    If I buy the Alkaline model and use rechargeable NiMH AA's, will a Survivor charger base (intended for the internal NiCD pack) charge the AA's properly?
    I don't know definitively, but I would be surprised if the charger handled NiMH because you're "not supposed to" use NiMH in the Survivor because it voids the safety certifications. I wouldn't be surprised if the charging base never actually stops charging, which will eventually fry NiMH cells.

Quote Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
    I am thinking of getting an LED Survivor. Question: If I buy the Alkaline model and use rechargeable NiMH AA's, will a Survivor charger base (intended for the internal NiCD pack) charge the AA's properly?

Thanks,

Dave

PS I've not read about switch problems dkelly mentioned, anyone think this is a widespread problem with these lights?

If you have the Alkaline pack...only use non rechargable AAs. If you want a recharge battery...buy our recharge battery. You will void your warranty if you do not follow our polices.

Link for Fire Vulcan LED
    http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=147
    Last edited by aubie515; 06-02-2008 at 02:54 PM.

We have a few at my firehouse. They are brighter and cut a little better than the incan ones (don't know how they do it with an LED) but I can see how the switch may crap out.

I would look for something different. They are made for a specific purpose, and you can find something better and smaller for less money.

I use the Survivor LED with Eneloops (Sanyo's NiMH version which is resistant to trickle loss) with no problems.

I do use a charger that can handle the NiMH batteries and do not have the one sold with the rechargeable version of the Survivor (I got the non-rechargeable version).

It is true that it is a specialized light with a very narrow beam (something like 10 degrees) so whether it fits your needs kind of depends. There is a bit of spill, but it tends to pale in comparison with the powerful spot.

Haven't had a problem with the switch yet, or any kind of problem. On the other hand, I haven't had to use it under extreme circumstances.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    If you have the Alkaline pack...only use non rechargable AAs. If you want a recharge battery...buy our recharge battery. You will void your warranty if you do not follow our polices.

Link for Fire Vulcan LED
    http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=147
    aubie515,
    I've had my eye on that Vulcan LED since they put it on the site,but I've been waiting on a review.If you pick one up let us know what you think.

I have a question,how are they managing the heat in a polymer body?

It would be an awesome candidate for a P7 or MC-E swap with a bump in current,permitted you could get the heat out.At half power your only talking about 5 watts,not that much of an increase,but the output(emitter lumens)would be over 400 lumens.That large pencil beam reflector would probably focus either emitter.

I know its been said before,but its nice to have someone from Streamlight hanging around here.

Michael

aubie,

The Survivor LED says:
    USE OF LITHIUM AA CELLS WILL DAMAGE THE
    LIGHT AND VOID THE WARRANTY.

I can understand why they mean not to use 3.6v lithium AA's but why can't we use 1.5v Energizer lithium AA's? I don't use alkaline batteries any longer because i've ruined several lights & gadgets over the years from leaking alkalines.

Primary duty lights: (metal) Elektrolumens Pentalux 4C; (polymer) Pelican M8 LED; (hybrid) StreamLight 3C-XP
    Searchlight: AE PowerLight PL14
    Back-up mini lights: Nuwai TM301X-5, X-3, X-1
    Special LED signaling lights: Torfino ICE light, Inova 24/7, Adventurelights VIP

NYPD flag, adopted in 1919

the SL Survivor LED is a decent light and as others mentioned somewhat specialized. It is used by firefighters because its narrow beam is supposed to work better in smoky environments.

The advantage of this light is that is has a big throw due to its long and narrow reflector design. You'd probably need to buy a flashlight with a pretty big reflector (definitely NOT an EDC design!) to match the throw of this one.

The disadvantage is that it does not have one of the cutting edge LEDs (is it a Luxeon III? unless it's been updated). Still, with its 4xAAs, it can run for 3 hours on the high and up to 6 hours on low, so it is pretty useful.

I've been using Eneloop rechargeable NiMH batteries with no problems, and also have had no problems with the switch. It is somewhat larger so it can be used easier with gloved hands.

The light is also fairly useful around the house since you can just set it down and the 90 degree design is helpful for a lot of things (e.g., in a blackout, if you are looking behind something you set it on the floor and have both hands free, etc.).

It's a tough plastic design as well, very durable. It is somewhat large, but has a large clip too you can use to attach it to a helmet for example.

I'd say then that the light has its uses even if its LED has not been updated, and may fit what your needs are as well.