Streamlight Survivor LED

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened
I have owned one for a little over a year. It is a very durable light, perfect for outdoor use. I think it is good for the use you describe. I have only run mine on the rechargeable pack, but it lasts longer than what it's specs. state, and the " low" setting is very useable.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It has a pretty narrow beam and if you can open up the light, you can double the output(for the same runtime) by swapping in a current gen LED.

It should be durable and throw a decent distance.

I'd say more of a mid range light because of the narrow beam.

What king of beam would you like?

Floody or throwy?

pobox1475

Enlightened
Have not decided which Zebra to get. One is at the top of my list. The Survivor would be a supplemental light source.

Last edited:

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
You could try our new Fire Vulcan LED. I will be purchasing one very soon. It will give you the best of both words...it's the same size as our standard Fire Vulcan, but it will weigh under 2lbs.

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
Anyone thinking of getting the Survivor LED, don't. 3 of 4 we have at my fire station have had the switch go bad.

avusblue

Enlightened
I am thinking of getting an LED Survivor. Question: If I buy the Alkaline model and use rechargeable NiMH AA's, will a Survivor charger base (intended for the internal NiCD pack) charge the AA's properly?

Thanks,

Dave

PS I've not read about switch problems dkelly mentioned, anyone think this is a widespread problem with these lights?

OceanView

Enlightened
If I buy the Alkaline model and use rechargeable NiMH AA's, will a Survivor charger base (intended for the internal NiCD pack) charge the AA's properly?
I don't know definitively, but I would be surprised if the charger handled NiMH because you're "not supposed to" use NiMH in the Survivor because it voids the safety certifications. I wouldn't be surprised if the charging base never actually stops charging, which will eventually fry NiMH cells.

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of getting an LED Survivor. Question: If I buy the Alkaline model and use rechargeable NiMH AA's, will a Survivor charger base (intended for the internal NiCD pack) charge the AA's properly?

Thanks,

Dave

PS I've not read about switch problems dkelly mentioned, anyone think this is a widespread problem with these lights?

If you have the Alkaline pack...only use non rechargable AAs. If you want a recharge battery...buy our recharge battery. You will void your warranty if you do not follow our polices.

Link for Fire Vulcan LED
http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=147

Last edited:

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
We have a few at my firehouse. They are brighter and cut a little better than the incan ones (don't know how they do it with an LED) but I can see how the switch may crap out.

I would look for something different. They are made for a specific purpose, and you can find something better and smaller for less money.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Survivor LED with Eneloops (Sanyo's NiMH version which is resistant to trickle loss) with no problems.

I do use a charger that can handle the NiMH batteries and do not have the one sold with the rechargeable version of the Survivor (I got the non-rechargeable version).

It is true that it is a specialized light with a very narrow beam (something like 10 degrees) so whether it fits your needs kind of depends. There is a bit of spill, but it tends to pale in comparison with the powerful spot.

Haven't had a problem with the switch yet, or any kind of problem. On the other hand, I haven't had to use it under extreme circumstances.

TexLite

Enlightened
If you have the Alkaline pack...only use non rechargable AAs. If you want a recharge battery...buy our recharge battery. You will void your warranty if you do not follow our polices.

Link for Fire Vulcan LED
http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=147

aubie515,
I've had my eye on that Vulcan LED since they put it on the site,but I've been waiting on a review.If you pick one up let us know what you think.

I have a question,how are they managing the heat in a polymer body?

It would be an awesome candidate for a P7 or MC-E swap with a bump in current,permitted you could get the heat out.At half power your only talking about 5 watts,not that much of an increase,but the output(emitter lumens)would be over 400 lumens.That large pencil beam reflector would probably focus either emitter.

I know its been said before,but its nice to have someone from Streamlight hanging around here.

Michael

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
aubie,

The Survivor LED says:
USE OF LITHIUM AA CELLS WILL DAMAGE THE
LIGHT AND VOID THE WARRANTY.​

I can understand why they mean not to use 3.6v lithium AA's but why can't we use 1.5v Energizer lithium AA's? I don't use alkaline batteries any longer because i've ruined several lights & gadgets over the years from leaking alkalines.