Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

Flashaholic

Default Re: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

Selfbuilt, where you have the level settings listed for the runtimes of the NEI, would you be able to tell us about how many seconds of ramping each level is?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsix View Post
    Selfbuilt, where you have the level settings listed for the runtimes of the NEI, would you be able to tell us about how many seconds of ramping each level is?
    Hard to say ... since the whole ramp is only ~6-8 secs, it's hard to give a reliable estimate based on time. Basically, I was just looking to find output levels that matched some of the other defined lights, to allow more direct comparisons. In practice, this meant a lot of back and forth ramping in each direction, as I tried to "zero" in on a few good values.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

very nice review!!!

Just received mine today. I am at work, so I only had primaries to run it on until I get home. Two very small issues: 1) my clip needs an adjustment as it has about 1/16" gap -- making it quite sloppy; and, 2) it came with a SS bezel and I ordered the black. One is easily fixable and the other I will live with (it's actually very nice looking, I'm just a tactical black kind of guy).

As for comparing this light to my Novatac 120P, I don't think thats' a fair comparison. This light is surely brighter (though I haven't compared them myself), but the beam pattern is just so nice on the Novatac. The 120P seems to be better made and the UI is wonderful. Plus, it tailstands.

Different lights make the world go around; and keep my wallet empty!
    Dead Nuts

"Wherever you go . . . there you are."

Just updated the main post RCR Lo runtime graph with the Extreme results - runtime was just under 24 hours at the lowest output setting on RCR.

Note that minimum output is higher on RCR than it is on primaries. I've just started the low output run with a Surefire CR123A, which I suspect will be tying up my lightbox for the next couple of days. I'll post back when its done.

Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.

Sigh Re: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

WARNING!

This may be just my light, but there is no way to get a protected AW (black shrinkwrap) in my light. I would NOT have purchased this light if I had known that. Primaries barely slide inside this light.

Once again, this may just be my light. But with no way to remove the tail, reaming out the tube is not feasible.

Buy with caution!
    Dead Nuts

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Hard to say ... since the whole ramp is only ~6-8 secs, it's hard to give a reliable estimate based on time. Basically, I was just looking to find output levels that matched some of the other defined lights, to allow more direct comparisons. In practice, this meant a lot of back and forth ramping in each direction, as I tried to "zero" in on a few good values.
    That's a shame. Picking an output close to another light's levels is pretty reasonable though. My one gripe with the nightcore UI is that you really don't know what runtime to expect from the level you've chosen. I'd almost be happier if it ramped up in steps instead of infintesimally just for this reason.

Dead Nuts: Too bad about getting the wrong light. I got to try out both versions before I bought it. In person they are both equally as pretty but the SS Bezel definitely has a nicer beam.

I have 4 black AWs and they all fit. Two of them slip out with gravity, the other two need a flick of the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Nuts View Post
    WARNING! This may be just my light, but there is no way to get a protected AW (black shrinkwrap) in my light. I would NOT have purchased this light if I had known that. Primaries barely slide inside this light.
    Quotes from my review:

One issue with this design is that there is no way to “push” a tight-fitting battery out of the tube – you need to “pull” it out by the positive end. It would therefore be ill-advised to force a protected battery down the body tube. All of my black-label AW protected RCRs fit fine (although the earlier ones are a bit snug). Unfortunately, my blue-label AW protected RCRs seem to be too thick to fit down the body tube. I’d recommend those with blue-labels consider upgrading if you want to use RCR in this light. My gray Ultrafire protected also seems to be too tight a fit. YMMV…
    The only body issues I’ve noticed is the fairly tight fit with some protected batteries (e.g. my blue-label AW protected RCRs won’t fit).
    I've also used 4 different black-label AW batteries (2 early ones from when they first came out, 2 recent ones with black around the button top), and all fit fine - although the earlier ones are a bit snug, as I mentioned in my review. Primaries certainly all slide in and out quite easily.

Are there any obvious obstructions on your battery tube (i.e. rough edges, etc.)? For that matter, any irregularities in your AW black-label? Do you have more than one to test?

In a pinch, you can always remove the label of the AW battery to help clearance (I've had to do this on my 1st gen VB-16 with some protected AW 18650s, for example). And as Nake said, a flick of the wrist will usually help displace a sticking battery.

On mine, it's not even close. I'm not talking about them being so tight that I fear not being able to get them out; they simply cannot even be forced into the tube. I'm not exagerating either. Primaries barely slide in and out -- sometimes requiring assistance.

There is obviously serious differences in production tolerences here. If you want to use RCRs, beware.
    Dead Nuts

You could use unprotected cells. The ones I have rattle back and forth in my tube. They're cheap at DX, and if you ruin one, so what. At $1.66 each they're cheaper than some primaries.

Sigh Re: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

If I still want to use this light much, I will have to try some unprotected cells. I thought that others should be warned that they may not be able to use the batteries they had intended to use in this light.

caveat emptor

ETA: The last batch of primaries I bought cost only $0.79ea (400). So, the cost is not what I'm concerned with. I just happen to like to use rechargeables with anything I EDC. Maybe this light will be relagated to a BOB with some spare primaries. My SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, CoMWeC plans call for only 2 battery sizes; 123 & AA. This fits the bill for storage.
    Last edited by Dead_Nuts; 06-10-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Dead Nuts

I received my Extreme (from hkequiptment) in the mail yesterday. The only reason I was interested in this light was the E-series legoability, and here are some findings...

The Extreme head fits and has full functionality on every E-series compatible body I tried: E1e, E2e, E1B, McClicky Pak, Maxlite, etc. I didn't try it on a Leef E-head body (I only have a 2x18650, and I didn't have time to dig out a dummy cell), but I hope to try that tonight.

The Extreme head / Mirage_Man 18650 body / McTC combo doesn't look half bad. It's a little long - longer than an L4, but shorter than an L2 - but it's not an uncomfortable size.

The Extreme body is only somewhat compatible with E-series heads. The inner diameter is too narrow, and I could only find a few heads that could thread on all the way. The big o-ring is not the issue - the inner diameter of the Extreme body is a tight 16mm instead of the ~17mm of most E-series bodies. I found no E-series Surefire head that would thread on - KL1, KL4 and E1B head were no-go. An E2C adapter and C-series heads were no problem. McLux & Aleph heads with Lux/SSC cans generally fit, but the Cree can is too wide.

I'm not wild about the Extreme body (especially the switch), and I wasn't planning to use it anyway, so it doesn't really bother me that it won't work with other E-series heads. I like the head (especially the wider-than-NDI reflector), and compatibility with existing Surefire and aftermarket bodies is a nice plus.

Yea, I tried an Aleph 1x123 and 1.5x123 body with McTC cap and it looked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post
    The Extreme head fits and has full functionality on every E-series compatible body I tried: E1e, E2e, E1B, McClicky Pak, Maxlite, etc. ... The Extreme body is only somewhat compatible with E-series heads. The inner diameter is too narrow, and I could only find a few heads that could thread on all the way.
    Wow, thanks for the detailed assessment gswitter.

I have recently picked up an E1B, and can confirm the Extreme head works very well on it. Although the anodizing isn't the greatest match, I like the bi-directional clip and tailcap lockout feature of the E1B.

Haven't tried the E1B head on the Extreme body yet, since the light is undergoing low mode lightbox testing at the moment. But like you, I'm interested in using the Surefire body with the Extreme head.

And note that although I haven't tried it yet, the E1B body internal diameter looks big enough to accommodate all protected RCRs ...

One of the best and complete review I've seen.
    Many thanks,

Tanasit

If anyone else has a caliper, could you tell me what the OD of your AW rechargeables is? Perhaps the ID of your Extreme as well?

If my batteries are of the older design, I could just buy some new ones that might fit.
    Dead Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Nuts View Post
    If anyone else has a caliper, could you tell me what the OD of your AW rechargeables is? Perhaps the ID of your Extreme as well?
    Quick and dirty measurement:
    AW blue-label: 16.9mm
    AW black-label (1st gen): 16.7mm
    AW black-label (recent): 16.6mm
    Surefire primary: 16.5mm
    Extreme internal diameter: 16.8mm

But of course, batteries and the tube could easily vary in diameter across their length (the above are just a quick measures around the center of the cells and the end of the tube). In any case, if you are finding primaries are a tight fit in yours, then any protected cell is likely to be a problem.

You might want to contact Edgetac or your dealer to see if they can do anything for you.

Thanks Selfbuilt,
    a very nice review... for a nice flshlight ,

Last edited by JKL; 06-17-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Flashlight collection: Ra, Novatac, Surefire, WolfEyes, Inova, Olight, EagleTac, Dereelight, Tiablo, Fenix, Nitecore, Lumapower, JetBeam, Zebralight, Thrunite, Sunwayled

I tried the Extreme head on a number of other E-series bodies tonight. The Extreme head has fit every E-series body I've tried to date, with full functionality. Bodies tried so far (using a single CR123A or RCR123 unless otherwise specified):
    • Surefire: E1e, E1B, E2e (w/AW 17670), L4 (w/AW 17670)
    • McLux 2x123 (w/AW 17670)
    • Aleph: CR2 (w/AW RCR2), 1x123, 1.5x123 (w/AW 17500), 2x123 (w/AW 17670)
    • McClicky Pak [EN & Ti]
    • Maxlite (w/AW 14500)
    • Vital Gear FB1
    • fivemega 18500 (w/AW 18500)
    • Leef 18650 (w/AW 18650)
    • Tranquility Base 18650 [Al] (w/AW 18650)
    • Mirage_Man 18650 (w/AW 18650) -my favorite
    I was also curious if the Extreme head would work with 2xAA, and it appears to work fine with a pair of Eneloops in the following set-ups:
    • Vital Gear FB3
    • DSpeck UBH
    • Surefire E2e + Valiant Concepts E-Extendter
    I also tried 3x Eneloops in the UBH + a 1xAA extension, and that worked fine as well. The three cells measured 3.93v at the time.

And finally, I tried various Arc LS bodies using a Valiant Concepts ARC-E adapter: CR2 twisty (w/AW RCR2), 123 clicky, 2xAA clicky (w/2x Eneloop), 2xAA twisty (w/2x Eneloop). The clickies worked fine. The twisties initially only worked on the low setting, but after some fiddling, they worked fine as well. I really like the feel of this 2xAA clicky set-up.

Note: I did run into one problem. The reverse polarity protection in the Extreme head is a little too deep for the button tops on most of the AW Li-ions I tried. The only AW cell that didn't require a small magnet was the RCR2.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post
    I received my Extreme (from hkequiptment) in the mail yesterday. The only reason I was interested in this light was the E-series legoability, and here are some findings...

The Extreme head fits and has full functionality on every E-series compatible body I tried: E1e, E2e, E1B, McClicky Pak, Maxlite, etc. I didn't try it on a Leef E-head body (I only have a 2x18650, and I didn't have time to dig out a dummy cell), but I hope to try that tonight.

The Extreme head / Mirage_Man 18650 body / McTC combo doesn't look half bad. It's a little long - longer than an L4, but shorter than an L2 - but it's not an uncomfortable size.

The Extreme body is only somewhat compatible with E-series heads. The inner diameter is too narrow, and I could only find a few heads that could thread on all the way. The big o-ring is not the issue - the inner diameter of the Extreme body is a tight 16mm instead of the ~17mm of most E-series bodies. I found no E-series Surefire head that would thread on - KL1, KL4 and E1B head were no-go. An E2C adapter and C-series heads were no problem. McLux & Aleph heads with Lux/SSC cans generally fit, but the Cree can is too wide.

I'm not wild about the Extreme body (especially the switch), and I wasn't planning to use it anyway, so it doesn't really bother me that it won't work with other E-series heads. I like the head (especially the wider-than-NDI reflector), and compatibility with existing Surefire and aftermarket bodies is a nice plus.
    did yours flicker on high mode for momentary on operation... mine will flicker slightly starting with a lower and high brightness and then seem to ramp up to full brightness if i keep it slightly depressed. several times it will just be full bright with no flickers at all.
    Darkness is the lack of light.

EDIT: Just completed the Min output mode runtimes, and my results seem a little low. EDGETAC is confirming at their end, and will advise me if they think the issue is with my sample or with the production circuit in general. I'll update this thread once I hear back. Stay tuned!

On a more positive note, I've just confirmed that not only does my Extreme work perfectly on my Surefire E1B Backup body (all functions intact), but the E1B head also works perfectly on the Extreme body (i.e. two-mode functioning intact).
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 06-17-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Those are interesting (and indeed somewhat disappointing) results for the low runtime test.

Thanks to this review, BTW, I placed an order for one with PhotonGears. It shipped last Tuesday so I'm really hoping it shows up soon. Waiting always kills me

(comments edited slightly to avoid thread-drift from the review)
    Last edited by TOTC; 06-17-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Flashaholic

is there a way to get an extra switch?? i ordered mine from hkequipment and it came without spare switches or o-rings.... just a holster and a energizer e2 lithium cell.

Quote Originally Posted by VF1Jskull1 View Post
    is there a way to get an extra switch?? i ordered mine from hkequipment and it came without spare switches or o-rings.... just a holster and a energizer e2 lithium cell.
    That's odd - did you look underneath the foam padding insulation in the box? Otherwise, you would need to contact hkequipment or edgetac directly.

My Extreme can show a slight flicker on initial depress of the switch - the same behaviour has been observed on the NDI. A firmer momentary press and hold of the switch (or click to lock-on) doesn't show any problems though - it's only with a slight depress. If this is what you are seeing, it's normal for the light (and would also be present with a replacement switch).

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    That's odd - did you look underneath the foam padding insulation in the box? Otherwise, you would need to contact hkequipment or edgetac directly.

My Extreme can show a slight flicker on initial depress of the switch - the same behaviour has been observed on the NDI. A firmer momentary press and hold of the switch (or click to lock-on) doesn't show any problems though - it's only with a slight depress. If this is what you are seeing, it's normal for the light (and would also be present with a replacement switch).
    Thanks for the reply selfbuilt.

I took the light apart and re-lubed all threads and applied deoxit gold to the contacts, and it flickers a lot less now. I'm still thinking it's the way the switch mechanism completes the circuit while depressing for momentary on, that is causing it to flicker.... my 2D Mag (w/ ROP mod), wolfeyes incandescents (2 of them), and streamlight tl-3 incan all have forward clickies that don't flicker. oh well... i'll suck it up and live with it....

I got my NiteCore Extreme today. There is just one tiny detail I can add to the excellent review: the PWM frequency is 38kHz. I can't think of any circumstance where it could be visible.

Flashaholic

thanks again selfbuilt,

i looked underneath the bottom padding and there it was, the spares baggie, manual, and id card... silly me, i'm just like a kid who is too eager to open his toy and doesn't examine the remaining contents of the box... funny i used to be anal about such. The included ultrafire brand holster doesn't fit too well... a little too tight for the extreme... makes it hard for removing the light.

so i took the light apart to lube the switch retainer threads and lo' and behold found that the retainer ring is a tad smaller than the tube itself.... what i mean is, by just installing the ring without the switch, boot, and washer, the ring will have some play between the mating threads still.... i found this out when trying to tighten down the ring to hold the boot in but it would reach a certain tightness after a few turns and then go loose if i exceeded that point... almost like cross threading or something.

removed everything and examined the female thread and no sign of cross threading.. so i decided maybe it will go in farther if i shave the base/flange of the boot (brim of the hat) so it'll be thinner and allow more threads to mate... it still didn't work... the shaving wasn't the best despite using a fresh clean razor blade... ended up ruining the boot cause it would be pulled out to easily by pulling a corner...

with everything out, i threaded the retainer ring all the way in until it couldn't go no further, then stuck my pinky through the ring could move the ring around with a noticeable play between the threads... i wonder if it suppose to have this much play?? how is it suppose to keep water out if it doesn't seal properly?

the washer (holding down the switch) is typical zinc plated stuff you could actually find in the screws & bolt hardware isle of orchards supply... they could have used stainless steel washer...

the light works fine as is with the retainer ring just tight and right before it breaks loose again but feel i have a handicapped light that can't be submerged....

i was gonna try some teflon tape to see if it'll tighten up but could not for the life of me find the spool of teflon anywhere in the apartment last night, so i'll have get some today to try.
    Last edited by VF1Jskull1; 06-18-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Well, I don't feel like an orphan now. My light is the same way. Contact Edgetac about the problem. I am awaiting a new body from them. I'll bet there will be more lights with this problem surfacing. That ring has to withstand pressure from the front and rear springs. It should have very close to blueprint specs.

I wrapped teflon tape on the ring for a temporary fix.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Nake View Post
    Well, I don't feel like an orphan now. My light is the same way. Contact Edgetac about the problem. I am awaiting a new body from them. I'll bet there will be more lights with this problem surfacing. That ring has to withstand pressure from the front and rear springs. It should have very close to blueprint specs.

I wrapped teflon tape on the ring for a temporary fix.
    which route did you use to contact them with??
    what if i purchased mine through hkequipment, will edgetac be able to help?