Klarus
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

Flashaholic

Default Re: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

I'm having problems with mine now and it's not even two weeks old. It's currently stuck in high mode only; won't go into the programmed mode.

I've reassembled it a dozen times, cleaned everything, lubed everything, and replaced the clicky. It's going back to the company I bought it from for replacement. Since my NiteCore SR3 arrived DOA, I'm not recommending this brand to anybody.
    JetBeam M1X (searchlight) | Surefire C2 Bored with Carley 1794 bulb (pocket rocket) | Surefire M3T-CB with LF HO-M6R (weapon mounted) | JetBeam RRT-0 (EDC)

Default rechargeable's in a nitecore extreme r2

Hi everyone

Could you please tell me if I can use a rechargeable battery in my Nitecore extreme r2, I've heard conflicting stories and that they may cause damage to the torch.

Any thoughts...

Also do you think I would get more brightness from a rechargeable?

Thanks.
    Tim
    Last edited by binky1206; 01-06-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: as above

Default Re: rechargeable's in a nitecore extreme r2

I use RCR123A's no problem in my NEX R2.

Check here - http://www.nitecore.com/products/nex/

relevant part -
    Specification
    Dimension: Total length 92mm;Diameter 26mm
    Weight: 65g
    Battery: powered by one CR123 battery or Li-ion battery

Brighter with the Li-Ion too...

Where did you hear that Li-Ion's would damage the light?

Olef

Super Moderator

Welcome to CPF, binky1206.

I'll merge your post into the comprehensive review of this light by selfbuilt.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

I use AW RCR123s in my Extreme, and it has been transformed.

I haven't noticed it being any brighter, but it was sometimes a bit flaky with primary batteries - wouldn't always ramp properly, and flickered on the intermediate levels. With the rechargeables, it is like a different light, working perfectly on all levels.

The only slight quirk I have is that high sometimes doesn't work on first loading a freshly charged battery - the light shuts off when you switch to high. I have to remove and reinstall the battery a couple of times, and then is suddenly starts working again. After that, it usually behaves just fine until the next charge.

Thanks guys, I see maplin do a cr123 charger and battery for £20. I think I'll pick one up. Cheers again.

Flashaholic*

I would avoid the Maplin unit. These are 3V rechargeables I think - they contain a circuit to drop the voltage so you lose out on capacity.

You would be better off with the AW protected cells that give you the full 3.7 volts.

The AW cells are more expensive but you will only be spending out once, so you'll save money in the long run.While you're at it, get yourself a decent charger like the PILA.

Both available here:

http://www.ledfire.co.uk

If you are switching to Lithium-Ion for the first time, you should also read the information on safe use in the batteries forum, where there is also plenty more information on the different types of batteries and chargers.
    Last edited by Moonshadow; 01-06-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Thank you very much I will check it out.
    Tim

Flashaholic

TriChrome, I am not sure there is anything wrong with your light. I had a similar issue when I had mine and I think that the programable setting is set to high. Making it apear that the light will only stay on high. if you go into the programable mode and ramp it down I think you will be happy. Nitecore is a good brand and the extreme is my favorite light. Try resetting the programable mode.

Chef

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post

The only slight quirk I have is that high sometimes doesn't work on first loading a freshly charged battery - the light shuts off when you switch to high. I have to remove and reinstall the battery a couple of times, and then is suddenly starts working again. After that, it usually behaves just fine until the next charge.
    Sounds like the retaining ring (holds the clicky) is a tiny bit loose. Tighten it. Or it could be the clicky is about to give. I have had issues like this in the past. These are the solutions which have always worked.
    -
    "Keep those candles burning!"

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by chef4850 View Post
    TriChrome, I am not sure there is anything wrong with your light. I had a similar issue when I had mine and I think that the programable setting is set to high. Making it apear that the light will only stay on high. if you go into the programable mode and ramp it down I think you will be happy. Nitecore is a good brand and the extreme is my favorite light. Try resetting the programable mode.
    That's not the problem; my problem actually started with it being stuck in low on both modes first, then after rebuilding/cleaning/lubing it 3-4 times I forgot to replace the spring behind the LED module then it I assume that tricked it into high mode, which even after replacing that spring I could then never get it out of high mode no matter what I did.

It's been replaced by the company I bought it from since then, and they sent it back to NiteCore (and now my problem is deciding to keep it, or sell the replacement light).
    JetBeam M1X (searchlight) | Surefire C2 Bored with Carley 1794 bulb (pocket rocket) | Surefire M3T-CB with LF HO-M6R (weapon mounted) | JetBeam RRT-0 (EDC)

Quote Originally Posted by TriChrome View Post
    I'm having problems with mine now and it's not even two weeks old. It's currently stuck in high mode only; won't go into the programmed mode.

I've reassembled it a dozen times, cleaned everything, lubed everything, and replaced the clicky. It's going back to the company I bought it from for replacement. Since my NiteCore SR3 arrived DOA, I'm not recommending this brand to anybody.
    This light is very picky. Even the smallest daub of silicone compound on the bare metal of the body can interfere with switching. You pretty much have to apply lube with a toothpick. Try using 99% alcohol on a q-tip to clean your light. Also, have you tried switching batteries?

Shao

Flashaholic

Mine was replaced by the dealer with a brand new one a couple weeks ago. Never got the original one to work even after cleaning and lubing everything (and even when I put it back together with no lube).

Default Re: NiteCore Extreme Ti clip

Wasn't fond of the factory clip. I replaced it with this Ti clip. This clip mated perfectly to the holes and no modification was needed. However, the clip holes could be countersunk to make the screw head level, I have not done this step yet. Here are some pics:

Flashaholic

Default Re: NiteCore Extreme Ti clip

Quote Originally Posted by bdusseau View Post
    Wasn't fond of the factory clip. I replaced it with this Ti clip. This clip mated perfectly to the holes and no modification was needed. However, the clip holes could be countersunk to make the screw head level, I have not done this step yet. Here are some pics:

nice mod.... where can i get one like that?
    Darkness is the lack of light.

nice mod.... where can i get one like that?
    Thanks. Here is the site I ordered them from:http://www.USAknifemaker.com The price point is hard to beat, and I really like the deep pocket carry it allows. It is the Lo rider thin model IIRC.
    Last edited by bdusseau; 02-03-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Bdusseau Thanks for sharing that clip find. I just got a Nitecore Extreme and also did not like the clip. I immeadiately clicked to the link and ordered me one.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by binky1206 View Post
    Thanks guys, I see maplin do a cr123 charger and battery for £20. I think I'll pick one up. Cheers again.

Don't from maplin buy from 7dayshop only £5.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bdusseau View Post
    Thanks. Here is the site I ordered them from:http://www.USAknifemaker.com The price point is hard to beat, and I really like the deep pocket carry it allows. It is the Lo rider thin model IIRC.
    I see a Low Rider Diamond and a Low Rider Stealth....is it one of those?

How difficult are these to install?
    LensLight Mini; Surefire Fury; ZebraLight SC600W, SC60W, SC52W and SC51C; EagleTac NW D25LC2 and NW D25A; Xeno E03 Nichia 219 (x2); ThruNite Neutron 1AA Neutral; Quark Ti AA & 2-123-T; Quark AA-T and 123-2-T; Nitecore D10R2 and D10R2 (Tribute); Romisen RC-A4X and RC-A4II; Balder SE-1 Neutral

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by hatman View Post
    I see a Low Rider Diamond and a Low Rider Stealth....is it one of those?

How difficult are these to install?
    " bdusseau" has shown to us item #LRT260, which has a max dia. of 0.33" and which also has been removed from the ti-clips page (http://tinyurl.com/ykkhbtj ), because they are sold out. The owner is readying another batch of these though and they will be relisted, when ready, which he told me will be within the next 2-weeks. Just keep watching the page for these to reappear.
    As for difficulty of installing, I can only comment on my Extreme-clone (Romisen RC-A4):

After 30-45mins of work I nearly have the face of the screws flush with the face of the holes. This required turning the screw heads to a countersunk profile, shortening the screws and countersinking the 2 holes. By far the nicest clip that I've ever used.
    Thank you for sharing this with us, bdusseau !
    Last edited by coors; 02-23-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: NiteCore Extreme titanium clip

The ti-clip that "bdusseau" shared with us, above, are now listed once again: http://tinyurl.com/yj74gsa

Question Re: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

I really want this clip but am not so good with power tools. Do I need special screws? Also is countersinking neccessary to have a high quality installation?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pobox1475 View Post
    I really want this clip but am not so good with power tools. Do I need special screws? Also is countersinking neccessary to have a high quality installation?
    pobox1475,

No powertools necessary, unless you want the countersunk screws. The dimensions between the holes on the clip match the NEX screw locations. So, you just need to reuse the screws that came with the NEX.

I just recently purchased the low rider stealth and installed just using existing screws and hex wrench.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fareast View Post

the left one is with original boot, the other two have an elevated ring and boot (non-original)
    Fareast, your NEXs are awesome! I've had mine for a while now and it has become my favourite EDC, and for this reason, I'd like to install some tritium vials like you have on yours. Could you share some details (or a link to the thread if you already have) on how you fitted yours? It looks great, although I'm not a fan of green trit unless it's on a weapon sight Thanks!
    Malkoff P7 3D Mag | Fenix L0D & TK11 | Bitz Alu & Ti | RA Twisty 85-Tr & Clicky Ti [<Avatar<] | Dereelight DBS V1 & DBS V3 | Nitecore: NEX GDP, SR3, EX10 GDP, D20 R2, D10 R2 | Olight M20 Warrior | SF C2 HA & T1A | Liteflux 2XT

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Matt7337 View Post
    Fareast, your NEXs are awesome! I've had mine for a while now and it has become my favourite EDC, and for this reason, I'd like to install some tritium vials like you have on yours. Could you share some details (or a link to the thread if you already have) on how you fitted yours? It looks great, although I'm not a fan of green trit unless it's on a weapon sight Thanks!
    Thanks! I still use one of them every day still, I like them that much even though it isn't the smallest solution for a keyring... Since every now and then I get request like yours so I copied and pasted some text from a PM:

I bought the tritium via B@rt's Tritium Thread (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=194646) and the size 1.55mm x 5mm are truly a perfect fit (others sell them in different sizes).

I used Pritt Poster Buddies (http://www.prittworld.com/be-d/produ...r-buddies.html)
    Putting two and two together:
    I got a small piece of Pritt buddies and laid a vial on it and just started rolling it and totally covering it. Then I used a pair of tweezers to put it on top of the hole on the batt tube. Using the tweezers' flat part I carefully push it down the tiny hole. This makes the Pritt buddies ooze out then I push it in fully and I use a separate piece of buddie to take away the oozed out excess buddie. It sticks better to each other then to anything else.

This pritt stuff is pliable but will harden over time but it will never fully harden. The one on my keychain has already seen it's fair share of abuse (fallen several times on concrete, street, tiles, taken showers etc.) and it still sits as I put it in. HOWEVER, if you push on it, it wll come out. In a way, this stuff, due to it's pliability, is also a tiny shock-breaker. I just have to be "careful" to not unintentionally push on the vials...

Others use Norland 61, which can be hard to get but search the forums. This stuff dries with UV and remains crystal clear and very hard. Then come the epoxies which will "yellow" over time.

All the best!

Add.
    Some time has passed since the tritium install and the solution with the Pritt buddies seem to be just about perfect (well in case of these NEX's with them six holes...). The vials have never moved since and it keeps surviving all drops on everything. This i.e. in contrast to my Wee's Tritium which have been glued down using Norland 61 and two have broken already (no keychain duty) since there's no shock absorption from the adhesive.
    Last edited by fareast; 03-15-2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
    -

Flashaholic

another tip for NEX users;

If you have trouble or worries about pulling the light from your pocket since the clip is a good tight fit, add a thick o-ring to the battery tube. Look at the pic above for the location.
    -

lots of input i've read from this thread! thank you gentlemen! waiting for mine to arrive!

Enlightened

Good info,you sold me!The tritium looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    It seems a waste to not be taking advantage of the low modes of the NEX. Your issue is most likely switching speed - you need to tighten/loosen quickly from user defined mode to get it to ramp. This can be a bit tricky at first (due to the thick o-ring installed), but once you get the hand of it you shouldn't have a problem. Same thing if you are having problems getting out of strobe mode - the switch from loosen/tighten needs to be done quickly to get back to Max mode. Good luck!
    Dang, i had to read this thrice to get mine working, i tightened and loosed quickly from the standard mode; thank you sir! sorry, newbie here that's why it took me thrice to figure it out! Got my NEX yesterday but just fiddled around tonight.
    Last edited by shadow77phl; 08-20-2010 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow77phl View Post
    Dang, i had to read this thrice to get mine working, i tightened and loosed quickly from the standard mode; thank you sir! sorry, newbie here that's why it took me thrice to figure it out! Got my NEX yesterday but just fiddled around tonight.
    Glad it helped.

Many lights can be a bit tricky to get the timings right (for switch cycles, half-presses, presses-and-holds, etc.). But once you get the knack for it, "muscle memory" seems to kick in and you should haven't further problems.

As an aside, I must say this light seems to have a lot of staying power, given that this review is over 2 years old. At >72K views, this has to be one of my most popular stand-alone reviews.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight S15R.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast