Foxfury Rook
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

Default Re: NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by combatative31 View Post
    Have just purchased a fenix tk11 from fenix store cant wait for it to arrive. Does any one now how this would compare to the nitecore extreme?
    The TK11 is brighter and has a longer runtime. The extreme is smaller (1cell)
    and SF E-series compatible.

Cree rings are more visible in TK11 because of smooth reflector (NEI has OP).

Quote Originally Posted by EDGETAC View Post
    Hello,

Please refer to your PM, we have sent you message, thanks!

Best Regards,
    EDGE TAC
    Hi there..EDGE TAC

Is all this problems what i have to expect, when my new NiteCore Extreme will arrive later?? Please explain why?
    It seems like this light have to much defective parts. I don't believe it's ready for sale yet?

EDIT: PLEASE answer on this forum. (Don't send PM to me)
    Last edited by Daark; 07-10-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Flashaholic*

Selfbuilt, once again, a fantastic review. You have no idea how many lights (esp. 1AA and 1CR123) you have convinced me to purchase... The NiteCore Extreme is another one! I read that it was compatible with the SF E-series from 4sevens but I was a little hesitant due to price but, after reading your review, I think I'm convinced that this should be part of my collection.

I thank you again... although any of my future children may curse you since they won't have too much in their college funds... (just kidding of course ).

Great review and keep up the good work!
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daark View Post
    Hi there..EDGE TAC

Is all this problems what i have to expect, when my new NiteCore Extreme will arrive later?? Please explain why?
    It seems like this light have to much defective parts. I don't believe it's ready for sale yet?

EDIT: PLEASE answer on this forum. (Don't send PM to me)

Dear Daark,

Thanks! No PM to you then.

I guess you quote our reply to VF1Jskull1, right?

The issue with him is that the retaining ring is a little too loose in Extreme tailcap. Please be advised that we only got 2 feedback about this issue, it's not common issue at all (this is also the reason why we PM to resolve the issue instead of replying directly, since it's not a common issue for users. guess you understand), the other one is ChenQing, who sent email to us. We check and found out the reason to this issue, it's the HA III processing which make the threads of the retaining ring slimer, so it could not be well matched with the body. We had sent VF1Jskull1 a new body to solve this issue, also one to ChenQing.

After finding out this issue, we had changed the material to use Stainless steel to make the retaining ring, since SS need no HA III processing, so there is no such potential issues available now. i.e., please rest assure that the Extreme you are going to get is with no such issue. and even if there is any issues come up with your light, we as well as 4sevens will be able to guarantee a satisfying warranty serivce to you whenever needed.

Hope the above answers your inquiries, and if any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know, thank you!

Best Regards,
    NiteCore

Well, since the moderator thought my original post for this request should be in the review of this light and not on the main board, then I'll ask for it here.

I'm hoping for some "real life" beamshots showing the hotspot at a distance. Trying to determine throw.

Any help appreciated.
    SF 9Z & 3P, Brinkmann 3 Watt 3 aaa and Maxfire, Inova XO, RR 2AAA, Dorcy Super 1watt and Metalgear, Task Force 2C 3watt, Tikka XP, David 19, and the list goes on...

I have to wonder about this light. It looks a lot like the surefire E1B, and 200 lumens off only one rcr123? That seems like a lot, but maybe im just not on top of current capabilities. Does it get real hot?
    I know the E1B has a lens and basically just throws real well with little flood and is rather bright for a light claiming only 80 lumens but I would be interested in seeing a comparrison between the two.

I just got my lumapower incendio a while ago and I loved the little light.... that is till i read this review! I know the incendio has the advantage of size and weight but why settle for 130 lumens when i could get near 200? I know the incendio has better runtime, but not amazingly better... DOH! I upgraded from the LM33 to the Incendio so it would better fit on my keychain and i know the extreme would be a bit large on my keychain but danget I want one! Why couldnt your review just say the incendio was the best?!

Quote Originally Posted by MojoLight View Post
    I'm hoping for some "real life" beamshots showing the hotspot at a distance. Trying to determine throw.
    Sorry, no exterior shots yet. But the Extreme is quite throwy among this class of light. Not as sharp a hotspot as the E1B, but roughly similar peak reach.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeeatingfish View Post
    Does it get real hot?
    I know the E1B has a lens and basically just throws real well with little flood and is rather bright for a light claiming only 80 lumens but I would be interested in seeing a comparrison between the two.
    Already done: 1xCR123A/RCR round up review

And yes, the Extreme does get hot - though not quite as fast as my Jet-II IBS models.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Anybody try the Extreme head on a Vital Gear FB-1?

Quote Originally Posted by kindred_spirits View Post
    Anybody try the Extreme head on a Vital Gear FB-1?
    I am going to try it as soon as my FB-1 arrives in the mail
    I am currently running it on an FB-2 when I want to carry it in that size, or on the stock body when I want to shrink it back down (depending on dress).

I'm pumped to try it on the FB-1 though...

My Extreme is on it's way from 4sevens.
    I'm having trouble waiting.

Thanks for the excellent review.

Regards
    Dave
    --------

What cell are you using with the FB-2? The Extreme can't handle 2 CR/RCR's, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by TOTC View Post
    I am going to try it as soon as my FB-1 arrives in the mail
    I am currently running it on an FB-2 when I want to carry it in that size, or on the stock body when I want to shrink it back down (depending on dress).

I'm pumped to try it on the FB-1 though...

What cell are you using with the FB-2? The Extreme can't handle 2 CR/RCR's, correct?
    Correct, but it should be able to handle any of the single cell Li-ions (e.g 18650, 17670, 14670, etc.).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Correct, but it should be able to handle any of the single cell Li-ions (e.g 18650, 17670, 14670, etc.).
    Yep, I'm using an AW 17670

Dear Daark,

Thanks! No PM to you then.

I guess you quote our reply to VF1Jskull1, right?

The issue with him is that the retaining ring is a little too loose in Extreme tailcap. Please be advised that we only got 2 feedback about this issue, it's not common issue at all (this is also the reason why we PM to resolve the issue instead of replying directly, since it's not a common issue for users. guess you understand), the other one is ChenQing, who sent email to us. We check and found out the reason to this issue, it's the HA III processing which make the threads of the retaining ring slimer, so it could not be well matched with the body. We had sent VF1Jskull1 a new body to solve this issue, also one to ChenQing.

After finding out this issue, we had changed the material to use Stainless steel to make the retaining ring, since SS need no HA III processing, so there is no such potential issues available now. i.e., please rest assure that the Extreme you are going to get is with no such issue. and even if there is any issues come up with your light, we as well as 4sevens will be able to guarantee a satisfying warranty serivce to you whenever needed.

Hope the above answers your inquiries, and if any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know, thank you!

Best Regards,
    NiteCore
    Hi EDGETAC,

My new NiteCore Extreme has arrived today from Fenix-Store, Very nice little light. I looks like very good quality. Only one bad thing: It is "hair and dust" inside the reflector? I hate dirty reflectors. And it's not possible to take apart and clean up inside? because i can't loose the bezel?

Last edited by Daark; 07-15-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Hi,

My new NiteCore Extreme has arrived today from Fenix-Store, Very nice little light. I looks like very good quality. Only one bad thing: It is "hair and dust" inside the reflector? I hate dirty reflectors. And it's not possible to take apart and clean up inside? because i can't loose the bezel?

Hi Daark,

Thanks!
    Sorry for this issue!
    You may use pressured air to blow the dust away, but if the bezel could not be loosened, we suggest that you replace it from our distributor, which should be more convenient for you, sorry for the trouble.

Best Regards,
    NiteCore

Hi Daark,

Thanks!
    Sorry for this issue!
    You may use pressured air to blow the dust away, but if the bezel could not be loosened, we suggest that you replace it from our distributor, which should be more convenient for you, sorry for the trouble.

Best Regards,
    NiteCore

EDGETAC

Yes, this your mistake have given me big trouble. And if i shall return the NE to Fenix-Store..then it would cost me more then the light it selfe. I live on the other side on earth, in a very expensive country.

I can only guess how much the postage cost would be back to the US. (To much)

I also wonder why it's "hair and dust" in a NEW light??

You have one new PM.
    Last edited by Daark; 07-15-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by octaf View Post
    I had mine for about a month.

There's one thing I don't like about this light.

Hi-burst mode is fine,

But the beam is very shaky and blinky, at the variable mode.

I don't know if it's just mine, but I tryed many different things to stablize it, but not working.

I let it go, now.

Waiting for the new PD style smarty one...

Mine NE have exatly the same problems, shaky and blinky beam in variable mode.

Mine NE have exatly the same problems, shaky and blinky beam in variable mode.
    Daark, did you contact our customer service department?
    There is no problem we cannot solve. Please email us at fenixstore@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    Daark, did you contact our customer service department?
    There is no problem we cannot solve. Please email us at fenixstore@gmail.com
    You already know the problems with the light, here is the order nb from your store.
    Order #41548 (Shipped)Order Date: Sunday 06 July, 2008

EDIT: Here is a new problem with the same light, the half backside of the reflector jump out..when i'm trying to change batteries?? I have trying to pusch it back, but it's not possible? because it's obliquely.

EDGETAC..you have a new PM.

Last edited by Daark; 07-17-2008 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks heaps for the great review......it twisted my arm to finally get one.
    What a great light! (thanks to fenix-store!!!!!!!!)
    I love the beam....great spot but still plenty of spill.
    With this and my 85P I think ive got things covered for a while.

My NEX arrived yesterday, its smaller than I thought but it definitely puts out light! I had it in a lower mode once, several times in SOS which was very hard to get out of and it looks like it will have to stay in the high tactical mode because i cannot get it to ramp down at all, I will still use my trusty SF L1 for low light and the NEX for when I need bright light, it was a promising design but fell short of getting an Olympic medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye of Unk View Post
    My NEX arrived yesterday, its smaller than I thought but it definitely puts out light! I had it in a lower mode once, several times in SOS which was very hard to get out of and it looks like it will have to stay in the high tactical mode because i cannot get it to ramp down at all, I will still use my trusty SF L1 for low light and the NEX for when I need bright light, it was a promising design but fell short of getting an Olympic medal.
    It seems a waste to not be taking advantage of the low modes of the NEX. Your issue is most likely switching speed - you need to tighten/loosen quickly from user defined mode to get it to ramp. This can be a bit tricky at first (due to the thick o-ring installed), but once you get the hand of it you shouldn't have a problem. Same thing if you are having problems getting out of strobe mode - the switch from loosen/tighten needs to be done quickly to get back to Max mode. Good luck!
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 08-12-2008 at 10:56 AM.

I would agree it sounds like a switching speed issue. You gotta twist that puppy fast for it to respond

SOS mode? Is that a new development or just a feature I never found on mine?

Mine has High, Strobe, and User Defined brightness... no SOS that I know of.

Selfbuilt,

Have you worked out the low-mode runtimes with NiteCore? The last update I see to the runtime post is the June 17 edit where you were talking to NC about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTC View Post
    SOS mode? Is that a new development or just a feature I never found on mine?
    Oops, sorry - slip of the keyboard . I meant strobe, there is no SOS mode (text fixed).

Have you worked out the low-mode runtimes with NiteCore?
    I've been meaning to get back to that, but have been tied up with new reviews lately (too many new lights coming in, too little time). I do plan to update this review and a few others with additional low mode results, but it will need to wait a bit longer.

I stand corrected, I think its a strobe as well, I tinkered with it some more today, I lubed the o ring with some silicone grease but again it only and by luck got into a low mode. If only there was an easier way to do that it would be a formidable flashlight, I would like to get a natural color titanium bezel for in, smooth not crenelated because I wear carhart jeans that have a side pocket perfect for an EDC in the width of this light, I carried a SF L1 for years that way but the crenelated bezel after awhile makes a hole.

I have been using this light all week, never could get anything other than full brightness and strobe, I may put it up on my shelf of miscellaneous lights I have built over the years, its just too bright for most work I am doing.

there must be a real problem with it.

BTW just how do you get to "User Mode" the instructions were pretty but uninformative.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye of Unk View Post
    BTW just how do you get to "User Mode" the instructions were pretty but uninformative.
    Simply loosen the head a quarter turn and you are in user defined mode. From there, do a very rapid switch (i.e. tighten fully and then loosen, all within 1sec) and the light will ramp either up or down. If you don't see it ramp, you are either not switching fast enough or not tightening all the way. To get it to ramp in the reverse direction, just do another switch cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Simply loosen the head a quarter turn and you are in user defined mode. From there, do a very rapid switch (i.e. tighten fully and then loosen, all within 1sec) and the light will ramp either up or down. If you don't see it ramp, you are either not switching fast enough or not tightening all the way. To get it to ramp in the reverse direction, just do another switch cycle.
    And when you have reached the level you like simply switch off the light to memorize it. So every time you unscrew the head your Extreme will go to the chosen level until you perform again the setting operation. The memorized level is maintained even if you take out the battery.

When I first received mine it was hard to turn it quickly to set the user mode. Removing the o-ring made it much easier. After setting the level I wanted, I replaced the o-ring.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast