Non Flashlight - Can Rechargable AA or AAA batteries damage devices?

Tranx

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Is there any CPF-member that could explain me this:

Can Rechargable AA or AAA batteries damage by using them in toys and electronic devices?

Many manuals of toys and electronics mention to only use "regular batteries" and not to use "rechargable batteries".

e.g. When I bought some kind of handheld gaming device named "PDC=Pocket Dream Console" which uses 3 AAA batteries. The manual states not to use rechargable batteries. Asking the store clerck about it, he said the game would be destroyed by it and recommend a power supply.

Is this a conspiracy to sell more batteries and power supllies, or is it true?
Is it with alle rechargables (NiCad, NiMH, ...?) or only with certain types?
Is Eneloop safe (newer type of NiMH)?

thanks,
Vince
Belgium

Marduke

Flashaholic
The "use non-rechargable batteries only" disclaimer found on so many products is just an easy way for the manufacturer to release themselves of any liability from the consumer doing something stupid, like using 3.7v Li-Ion cells by mistake instead of NiMH.

Enjoy your guilt free gaming.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the main concern with using rechargables is the low resistance of these batteries can allow massive amounts of current through a device if there were to be a short because of cheaply make contacts or something it could case a meltdown perhaps a small fire and then the device manufacturer would possibly be liable. With alkalines this it less likely as current demand increases the batteries internal resistance steps in and throttles current increase.

Mark620

Enlightened
I thought it was because of the lower voltage of Nicad/NimH batteries...since most of these devices dont work when the battery voltage gets low...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The only issue I've ever had in several years of using rechargeables in portable radios is the battery meter being incorrectly calibrated - in typical NiMH fashion, the battery meter reads full all the time, then 30-40 hours after install, the radio suddenly goes dead with the dead battery icon, no warning. But I'll gladly do without a power gauge to not have to pay for batteries again..

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
unless it is a poorly designed device nimh voltages should not be a problem as instead of having their battery life vary from 0.9v to 1.5v they vary more from about 1.15-1.35v in useful life. Most devices won't function well below about 1.1v anyway which suits nimh better.

mdocod

Flashaholic
In almost all consumer electronics, with the exception of a clock, a good NIMH will outperform an alkaline. I would not put it past marketing departments to have contracts with primary cell manufactures to include this warning in device manuals. I'm not saying it's true, just that it would not surprise me.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Vince,

Welcome to CPF.

Another thing to keep in mind is the chemistry involved. Rechargeable cells often vent a little gas under normal and adverse conditions. Primary cells are pretty much sealed.

If the battery compartment of your device is not engineered to accommodate this possible build up of gas, and if a flame or spark is present when you open up the battery compartment, you could have an incident.

When I see a manufacturer state that you should only use primary cells, I believe that their engineering department has not evaluated the product under rechargeable cell power. The extra cost for evaluation and testing may be the main reason for their recommendation to only use primary cells.

In almost all cases, rechargeable cells will work just fine, but keep in mind that you are most likely using the product outside the engineering guidelines and you assume the liability for your use.

Tom