Gerber Knife?

matt0

Enlightened
A friend recently gave me a Gerber knife and from looking at their website, it appears to be the Gerber Freeman Hunter Fixed-Blade. Anyone know what steel it's made out of? They have an S30V version listed on their site but this one just says "High Carbon Stainless Steel"...

Also, are there any good holsters for it? The holster that came with it is VERY bulky and much bigger than it needs to be.

Thanks for any help,
-Matt

Dantor

Enlightened
not a bad looking knife ;) but I personally wouldn't get/trust a Gerber blade (or MT) they are not what they used to be and I've read more problems with their QC! but some have older models that have lasted or have gotten lucky in the newer model Gerber "Cr@p Shoot!" and they do have very good customer service!~

you may have to get a custom sheath or go to a blade show with your blade and find an inexpensive one. what would you like? leather, kydex, nylon, cordura? some really good makers out there. good luck

Paladin

Enlightened
FWIW the info at "knifecenter.com" says the Gerber 8464 Freeman Hunter is made in Taiwan.

Paladin

matt0

Enlightened
Is 440A a very good steel? I don't have many fixed blade knives but it feels pretty solid...

As long as it doesnt fall apart while using it (saw a youtube vid of a gerber suspension multi-tool that fell apart) I should be fine.

What exactly is cordura? I prefer nylon sheaths over leather... A kydex one could be neat but I'm sure that would be a much more custom one.

Any places online that sell universal sheaths?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
440a doesn't compare to any of the new super steels, but it gets pretty sharp, hold it okay, and easy to sharpen. I thought condura is just nylon, at least they look the same to me.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
... What exactly is cordura? ....

IIRC- Cordura is a brand name of a specific heavy weave of nylon.

(If you really care, I'm sure Google would be helpful. Way back
when, for reasons I don't recall, I researched fabric types. Some
project I suppose....)