PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quad cree led !

Flashaholic

Popcorn Quad cree led !

DURHAM, N.C., MAY 27, 2008 — Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE), a market leader in LED lighting, announces that it is demonstrating the newest addition to its industry-leading XLamp® LED family—the XLamp MC-E LED—at LIGHTFAIR International in Las Vegas, N.V., May 28-30, 2008.

The multi-chip XLamp MC-E being demonstrated retains the same 7mm x 9mm footprint as Cree’s existing XLamp XR family LEDs while providing four times the light output of the existing XR-E, the highest lumen output for a package of this size. This powerful combination is designed to enable new applications and reductions in overall system cost compared to other LED packages. At 9.8W, the XLamp MC-E LED being demonstrated provides up to 790 lumens at 6000K and up to 605 lumens at 3000K.
    http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp_mce.asp
    Last edited by vincebdx; 05-27-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Default Re: Quad cree led ?

Nice, it keeps the same footprint

Flashaholic* light_emitting_dude's Avatar

Default Re: Quad cree led ?

Great, there goes my tax rebate check!
    Once a Marine, Always a Marine. Semper Fi

Default Re: Quad cree led !

Can't wait till Olight or Fenix hops on this one!

Flashaholic

Party Re: Quad cree led !

So, if I'm following this correctly then, we're basically talking about a P7 with a smaller footprint that will be more or less compatible with existing reflectors. Wow. It just keeps getting better and better. I suppose Fenix and others will have to incorporate increased heatsinking capability into their lights before they can start pumping these out the door. Still, a slightly longer, perhaps, P3D that puts out 400 lumens will be quite something.
    Last edited by Bronco; 05-27-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill

I really hope this is what Fenix was waiting for before they put out that 18650 light they have been designing.

something interesting, the dice are wired in series, not parallel like the P7.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    something interesting, the dice are wired in series, not parallel like the P7.
    One could wire it parallel if they wanted to I assume?
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

U-hul!!

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    One could wire it parallel if they wanted to I assume?
    I'm talking about each individual die under the dome. The quad cree is wired more like the osram ostar, not like the P7. It's lower drive current with high drive voltage. This makes it not very suitable for small flashlights, and better suited for fixed lighting.

to Vincebdx --

Nice Find ! ! !

Can't wait till Olight or Fenix hops on this one!

Or Mag Instrument.

( long pause )

In 2012.

Seriously, this is a Great time to be a Flashaholic !

_

Cool Re: Quad cree led !

but it has multiple anode & cathode connection
    but this what i have been waiting for

Quote Originally Posted by nanotech17 View Post
    but it has multiple anode & cathode connection
    but this what i have been waiting for
    That's true, maybe gunner was right and it can be wired up either way. the specs look like series specs, but if it's per die, that makes sense. guess i need to actually read it instead of skim it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    I'm talking about each individual die under the dome. The quad cree is wired more like the osram ostar, not like the P7. It's lower drive current with high drive voltage. This makes it not very suitable for small flashlights, and better suited for fixed lighting.
    There are 8 pins on the LED -- so it is in effect 4 separate LEDs, that means you can wire it however you please: 4s, 2s2p, or 4p.

Also even in the parallel, or series-parallel configurtions, unlike the P7 or Lux5, you can balance the currents going through each emitter by feeding each LED, or string of LEDs with a separate driver. This also means that in some lights, like mag mods, users can use 4 cheap buck converters meant for single LEDs, rather than trying to find a dedicated driver to handle 3A+

Yeah, I just actually read the spec sheet and saw that. I just initially saw the drive current and filled in the rest. That's one hell of a good move on Cree's part to give such flexibility.

*Flashaholic*

The charts and Vf specs are per die. The flux is the total for all four dies. The lowest bin is 370 lumens minimum at 350 mA, or 92.5 lumens per die. This is like a high Q2 bin. The better spec of 430 lumens minimum is 107.5 lumens per die, more or less like a Q5. The dies are individually addressable, so the LED can be wired in parallel, series-parallel, or series. Series is the optimum arrangement as all dies get the same current AND I doubt they bother to Vf match the dies (making parallel driving a risky proposition at best unless you use individual drivers for each element). This is indeed the one we've been waiting for. Much better than the P7 in my opinion. Output at 700 mA of even the lower bin is greater than a 60 watt household incandescent, but with a power input of only 9.4 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post

Or Mag Instrument.

( long pause )

In 2012.

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

+

Super find!
    ...the P7 stuff hasn't even been sorted yet.
    *If its the same footprint, imagine the possibilities in a DBS reflector @ 600lm. ~ Hey Alan!!

There is going to be some wild stuff in the pipeline this year...
    Last edited by orbital; 05-27-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add

Excellent find! One of these in a Raidfire Spear (18650) would do the trick! Technology keeps rolling along, it is going to be quite a ride!

Oooooooooh. This will have some fun implications indeed. Wonder what the beam pattern looks like.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

This is great news. No doubt LED technology is getting better and better. Can't wait for the day when LEDs can compete with low pressure sodium lights in terms of energy efficiency (up to 200 lumens/W !!!), while maintaining low cost.
    I do hope the final product will be better than the SSC P7 in terms of both cost and energy efficiency

Quote Originally Posted by 2xTrinity View Post
    There are 8 pins on the LED -- so it is in effect 4 separate LEDs, that means you can wire it however you please: 4s, 2s2p, or 4p.

Also even in the parallel, or series-parallel configurtions, unlike the P7 or Lux5, you can balance the currents going through each emitter by feeding each LED, or string of LEDs with a separate driver. This also means that in some lights, like mag mods, users can use 4 cheap buck converters meant for single LEDs, rather than trying to find a dedicated driver to handle 3A+
    It also means you can have one, two, three or four lights on at any one time.
    Four levels with a simple switch, and if one of the leds is on a dimmer 0 - 100, 200, 300, 400...

You could also have the lights "spin" and hynotize people like they did in the movies from the 30's
    Last edited by Mike Painter; 05-27-2008 at 10:35 PM.

I guess I'm putting a couple of personal builds on hold. These look great.

I guess my buddies will get their cheesy single die lights built while I wait for some of these.........

Does anyone else notice something (or the lack of something) in the picture??

The metal ring surrounding the dome on XR-E's which is generally attributed to the "cree rings" is no longer present. Perfect beam pattern perhaps??

>605 lumens at 3000K

Excellent, they will have warmer toned ones!

This is great. One configuration (wired in series) could be a direct drive off of 4 RCR123's in a Solarforce L2 with 2 extension tubes , which son of a democrat, I already have.

All I need is the new drop-in pill. At 700mA total I could run it for 2 hours off the batteries easily.

That would make a most excellent rifle light, sliding into pre-existing mounts and lighting up the night.

Amongst many other options and uses of course.

I see two downsides: first, it'll most likely cost the same as four XR-Es, or maybe even more. Second, look at those teeny tiny legs - it looks like they'll pretty much have to be pre-mounted on star boards.

Still, those are very small downsides indeed compared to the upsides.

Enlightened

Note that this LED won't be as good as the XR-E with an aspheric lens as the lumen spatial distribution is wider, also the lumen per surface area will be less due to a lower maximum current.
    Good news for reflectors though as more light will be captured by a similar reflector than the XR-E
    HL

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    The charts and Vf specs are per die. The flux is the total for all four dies. The lowest bin is 370 lumens minimum at 350 mA, or 92.5 lumens per die. This is like a high Q2 bin. The better spec of 430 lumens minimum is 107.5 lumens per die, more or less like a Q5. The dies are individually addressable, so the LED can be wired in parallel, series-parallel, or series. Series is the optimum arrangement as all dies get the same current AND I doubt they bother to Vf match the dies (making parallel driving a risky proposition at best unless you use individual drivers for each element). This is indeed the one we've been waiting for. Much better than the P7 in my opinion. Output at 700 mA of even the lower bin is greater than a 60 watt household incandescent, but with a power input of only 9.4 watts.
    I agree, this would seem to be much better than Seoul's P7.

Generally, with paper and ink specs, I would not be so ready to give credits, but with Cree's flawless record of bring hardware out of vapor in the past 2+ years, I think they'll have these out within 2 months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    I see two downsides: first, it'll most likely cost the same as four XR-Es, or maybe even more. Second, look at those teeny tiny legs - it looks like they'll pretty much have to be pre-mounted on star boards.
    Even if it's more expensive, it's still worth it compared to buying 4 separate Crees, especially considering you don't need to spend the money, time, and effort mounting 4 separate reflectors to end up with an ultimately poorer final product.

Now that this is the same footprint as a standard Cree XR-E, I'd love to see one of these in a neutral tint (~4000k) in SMALL 18650 light, with continuously variable brightness from fraction of a lumen all the way up to hundreds of lumens, using a UI of the proposed Liteflux LF5XT, along with additonal thermal regulation to prevent it from cooking to death in the event of accidetnal turn-on in jacket.

It also means you can have one, two, three or four lights on at any one time.
    Four levels with a simple switch, and if one of the leds is on a dimmer 0 - 100, 200, 300, 400...
    This is actually pretty cool. Consider that if you want to reduce output, you can turn on only one die still at full output, and you'll end up with better throw than you would by operating all 4 dice at reduced output.

That also means that you could optimize your reflector's focus so it is centered about only one of the dice (your "high" beam) and so that turning the other three on would produce a "low" beam pattern that emits light skewed downward and to the sides.

I also anticipate this package hosting a red-amber-gren-blue emitter setup in the near future, where independent control wuld allow variable color.
    Last edited by 2xTrinity; 05-28-2008 at 12:45 AM.