Quad cree led !

vincebdx

Newly Enlightened
XLamp-MCE-Warm-Lit.jpg

DURHAM, N.C., MAY 27, 2008 — Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE), a market leader in LED lighting, announces that it is demonstrating the newest addition to its industry-leading XLamp® LED family—the XLamp MC-E LED—at LIGHTFAIR International in Las Vegas, N.V., May 28-30, 2008.

The multi-chip XLamp MC-E being demonstrated retains the same 7mm x 9mm footprint as Cree's existing XLamp XR family LEDs while providing four times the light output of the existing XR-E, the highest lumen output for a package of this size. This powerful combination is designed to enable new applications and reductions in overall system cost compared to other LED packages. At 9.8W, the XLamp MC-E LED being demonstrated provides up to 790 lumens at 6000K and up to 605 lumens at 3000K.

http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp_mce.asp
:paypal:

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
So, if I'm following this correctly then, we're basically talking about a P7 with a smaller footprint that will be more or less compatible with existing reflectors. Wow. It just keeps getting better and better. I suppose Fenix and others will have to incorporate increased heatsinking capability into their lights before they can start pumping these out the door. Still, a slightly longer, perhaps, P3D that puts out 400 lumens will be quite something.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I really hope this is what Fenix was waiting for before they put out that 18650 light they have been designing.

Marduke

Flashaholic
One could wire it parallel if they wanted to I assume?

I'm talking about each individual die under the dome. The quad cree is wired more like the osram ostar, not like the P7. It's lower drive current with high drive voltage. This makes it not very suitable for small flashlights, and better suited for fixed lighting.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Vincebdx --

Nice Find ! ! !

:thumbsup:

Can't wait till Olight or Fenix hops on this one! :eek:

Or Mag Instrument. :D

( long pause )

In 2012. :devil:

Seriously, this is a Great time to be a Flashaholic !

:party:
_

Marduke

Flashaholic
but it has multiple anode & cathode connection :thinking:
but this what i have been waiting for :cool:

That's true, maybe gunner was right and it can be wired up either way. the specs look like series specs, but if it's per die, that makes sense. guess i need to actually read it instead of skim it.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm talking about each individual die under the dome. The quad cree is wired more like the osram ostar, not like the P7. It's lower drive current with high drive voltage. This makes it not very suitable for small flashlights, and better suited for fixed lighting.
There are 8 pins on the LED -- so it is in effect 4 separate LEDs, that means you can wire it however you please: 4s, 2s2p, or 4p.

Also even in the parallel, or series-parallel configurtions, unlike the P7 or Lux5, you can balance the currents going through each emitter by feeding each LED, or string of LEDs with a separate driver. This also means that in some lights, like mag mods, users can use 4 cheap buck converters meant for single LEDs, rather than trying to find a dedicated driver to handle 3A+

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah, I just actually read the spec sheet and saw that. I just initially saw the drive current and filled in the rest. That's one hell of a good move on Cree's part to give such flexibility.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The charts and Vf specs are per die. The flux is the total for all four dies. The lowest bin is 370 lumens minimum at 350 mA, or 92.5 lumens per die. This is like a high Q2 bin. The better spec of 430 lumens minimum is 107.5 lumens per die, more or less like a Q5. The dies are individually addressable, so the LED can be wired in parallel, series-parallel, or series. Series is the optimum arrangement as all dies get the same current AND I doubt they bother to Vf match the dies (making parallel driving a risky proposition at best unless you use individual drivers for each element). This is indeed the one we've been waiting for. Much better than the P7 in my opinion. Output at 700 mA of even the lower bin is greater than a 60 watt household incandescent, but with a power input of only 9.4 watts.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Super find!
...the P7 stuff hasn't even been sorted yet.
*If its the same footprint, imagine the possibilities in a DBS reflector @ 600lm. ~ Hey Alan!!

There is going to be some wild stuff in the pipeline this year...:devil:

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent find! One of these in a Raidfire Spear (18650) would do the trick!:thumbsup: Technology keeps rolling along, it is going to be quite a ride!