CREE MC-E vs SSC p7

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: CREE MCE vs SSC p7

They are roughly the same efficiency and brightness. The biggest difference is the MC-E has a much smaller footprint and can be wired in multiple configurations. The latest binning can be found on their relative spec sheets

TranceAddict

Newly Enlightened

They are roughly the same efficiency and brightness. The biggest difference is the MC-E has a much smaller footprint and can be wired in multiple configurations. The latest binning can be found on their relative spec sheets

I could see that MC-E has 4 independent input feeds, while SSC p7 has only one to drive four DIEs (parallel connection internally inside package), am I right ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic

That's what the pictures I've seen show.

So that means I or who every is using the light can drive each diode interdependently, in parallel, in series or what ever, unlike the Seoul P7.

:welcome:

KrisP

Enlightened

Can anyone tell if the die layout is the same as the P7? Same size dies? Same distance apart? From what I can see it doesn't show the dimensions of the dies in the datasheet.

The Cree's look like they come out in a nice variety of tints :)

605lm warm white single LED light sounds very nice... Quad neutral white MCE sounds even better ;)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine people who like strobes could have a lot of fun playing with four individual emitters and drivers.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
One slight problem I see is since the LED die won't be centered at the focal point, just lighting up 1 or 2 dies might create artifacts or an unbalanced hotspot.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
One slight problem I see is since the LED die won't be centered at the focal point, just lighting up 1 or 2 dies might create artifacts or an unbalanced hotspot.

Plus running each die at lower current will be more efficient than running one die at a higher current.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anyone tell if the die layout is the same as the P7? Same size dies? Same distance apart? From what I can see it doesn't show the dimensions of the dies in the datasheet.

SSC P7 uses dies made by Cree so the die size will be same.

KrisP

Enlightened

I know that, but maybe this MCE is different. It's the same size overall as the current XR series yet has 4 dies... That is what made me ask the question.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know that, but maybe this MCE is different. It's the same size overall as the current XR series yet has 4 dies... That is what made me ask the question.

I doubt MC-E use different dies, one die has 1x1 mm size so there is enough room for 4 dies.