Leatherman wave (new) or Charge (Ti, ALX, Xti, TTi)?

stockae92

Enlightened
I am thinking of getting one of the new Leatherman multi tool

which one to get? wave (new) or Charge (Ti, ALX, XTi, TTi)?

I like the Charge Ti or TTi the best so far but they cost some pretty $$ (because of the bigger and bigger blade metal, and Ti handle insert. I am afraid the HA III AL handle on ALX will get scratched up quickly and easily)

any user experience?

thanks

Ferreter5

Newly Enlightened
I have an older style Wave, a newer style Wave, and an original Charge Ti.

My use is mostly for hiking and other outdoor activities and as part of emergency preparedness gear. I don't tend to use a multi-tool around the house because I have better special-purpose tools that do the job better (e.g. cutting/repairing wire fence lines).

For my use, if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the newer style Wave. It has all the tools I'll probably need and is less bulky than my Charge.

However, the Charge is a darn good multi-tool with a few more options than the Wave. So if it really meets your needs and fits your budget, it's a good choice too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I know I haven't.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
It depends what you are going to use the multi tool for. For general use, I would save the money and get a Wave. If you are going to use the knife blade a lot, it may be worth getting a Charge. As you don't like the ALX (I don't either), the TTi has a S30V blade which will hold its edge better than the 420HC on the Wave.

If money is no object, I would get the Charge TTi. As Ferreter5 states - "the Charge is a darn good multi-tool." I really like the titanium handles and the fit and finish is better than the Wave.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I EDC a New Wave (even just around the house); I looked into the Charges, you're essentially paying more for the same tools/weight with the aluminum edition, and the Ti versions just get progressively heavier. For me personally, the New Wave is the sweet spot between price/weight/features.

sawlight

Enlightened
I've been edc'ing an XTi for over a year now, I love it!! It's big though, and heavy, if you don't need all the options get something smaller. I like the interchangable bits, and I need to get another glass screwdriver tip.
But I can fix 40% of the problems I come across with that one tool!

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I've been EDC'ing a multi-tool for over 17 years.

I've carried Swiss Army, SOG, and the Gerber, along with the original Leatherman, the PST II, the Supertool, and the original Wave. I currently have a Leatherman Charge Ti (original design) and love it. I carry it horizontally in the deluxe leather case. I don't find it heavy at all partly due to the titanium handles.

I'd go with one of the Charge models. Which one depends on what you want or need.

Brandon

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a New Wave (even just around the house); I looked into the Charges, you're essentially paying more for the same tools/weight with the aluminum edition, and the Ti versions just get progressively heavier. For me personally, the New Wave is the sweet spot between price/weight/features.

Actually the Titanium models are lighter then the AL or wave, but it is bigger then the wave.

o0o

Enlightened
I have both the New Wave and Charge-Titanium, and IMO they're both outstanding.

The Wave is the ultimate bang for the buck -- great features and size at a great price.

The Charge in my mind is a higher end version of the Wave-- with IMO better materials (Titanium handles), and a main knife blade that should hold up better.

I love both, but for the money I think the Wave is a better value. OTOH, the Charge is IMO the better tool if money is not the #1 consideration.

Either way, you'll have a great tool. Perhaps buy both like I did!

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I have a Charge Ti, and am very pleased with it. It's really got the same features as the wave, except for the upgraded blade. But it also comes with the pocket clip, lanyard ring, and extra bits included, and to me thats worth a bit more (plus I like the Ti handles...). You can't go wrong with either one IMO. :)

I don't have the AL, but I gifted one (and played with it a bit of course...), and it seemed very nice, and I've heard the coating is very tough. I still have the feeling that the scales are bound to get scratched up eventually.:ohgeez:

I don't really care for the XTi, ALX, & TTi setup, cause I like scissors and dislike the notched pliers, but some others would see that differently. ;)

lightinsky

Enlightened
I had a wave but returned it. I ended up getting the sog powerlock from Lowes. It's pliers was way superior in cutting power than the wave and core and vic x tools that I also have had. The sog is by far got the best components especially the v cut seatbelt cutter and saw. The wave was great too but the sog in many surveys outdid the rest. Just my opinion but check em all out before finalizing things to be sure you will be happy.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Bought a new Leatherman Wave from Home Depot and it's definitely sturdier than the original. No experience with the Charge although the TTi looks nice.

Btw lightinsky, what section of Lowes did you find the SOG Powerlock? I've never seen any multitools there.

lightinsky

Enlightened
The SOG powerlock and multi tools are in the section where tape measures, drill bits, etc. are sold. You can always ask a clerk for help. Good luck!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SOG powerlock and multi tools are in the section where tape measures, drill bits, etc. are sold. You can always ask a clerk for help. Good luck!

At Lowes, the SOG is called a Contractor's multitool or something like that.

x923x

Newly Enlightened
I've carried the Charge TTi on me everyday for little over a year and love it. Which ever one you pick I'm sure you'll be happy with but for me since the TTi had the S30V knife blade, that sealed the deal. Plus Titanium scales are just cool!

stockae92

Enlightened
well, i have a TTi now, for the exact reason of x923x

S30V blade + Ti handle scale

(cause i know i will scratch up the ALX's handle scale. and i perfer the better blade in Charge than Wave)

:)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well hopefully you caught that deal on CPFM for the $69 Charge TTi at MidSouth shooters supply. Screamin' deal! Got one myself although I believe they are now out of stock.

One question for those with a TTi - Leatherman web site says they weigh 8.2 ounces. I weighed mine in at 12.0 ounces. I emailed them, they checked 2 of them on a postal scale and they came in at 8.4 ounces. It feels like 12 oz. to me (3/4 pound) so just wondering if anyone else could weigh theirs (without sheath or case or any accessories) and if it's lighter than why is mine so heavy? Looking at the web site this has all the appearance of a Charge TTi and the handles are not magnetic like the rest of it so I assume they are Titanium.

Very good choice though - the TTi has been on my 'want list' for two years or so.
- NOTE: found out my scale was way off - the TTi is about 8.4 ounces.

Last edited:

merlin

Newly Enlightened
I like my Wave. It has been part of my blow-out bag when I am cycling. I got the clip and the detachable keyring holder-very nifty, and I wish it was a standard part of the Wave (when I got it in 2004).

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Well hopefully you caught that deal on CPFM for the $69 Charge TTi
That's exactly what I paid on eBay this weekend:thumbsup:

Compared to my old PST, the Charge TTi is light years ahead in construction, feel in the hand, locking method, bit driver, etc. The S30V blade should hold an edge twice as long as the PST blade.

Awesome:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Shore08

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a new wave just about everywhere but especially when I am on duty (FF/EMT). It goes on my belt, so it is under my turnouts on calls (but then I get to play with the big tools and don't need it :grin2: ). I have been pleased with everything except it's rust resistance, but keeping it on my belt instead of in a pocket has solved that issue (sweat was brutal on it). As for the blade, I carry another knife that is strictly a knife for the 'heavy lifting' but for general purposes the blades have served me well.

However, should you get a new wave and decide you don't like the sheath, let me know, I gotta get a new one :crackup:.

vinn

Newly Enlightened
What's the difference between the "new" Wave and the "old" Wave?
Anyone have a picture or two of the "new" Wave and the "old" Wave?