Need help finding this battery

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey kids-

When I was a kid (and "way" into astronomy) I noticed that astronomers with a bigger budget than me were using these portable batteries to run their telescope drives in the field.

It was a simple battery pack with a handle that said "Carefree" on it and had a single cigar lighter type outlet on it. Output is 12 volts, what was inside was probably an SLA battery. I'm trying to find these packs but either it doesn't exist or I'm not Googling the right terms. SLAs are easy to find, but one with a compact outer housing and integral handle is the hard part!

Of if anyone else knows of a similar concept for a store-bought portable battery please let me know, and the simpler the better, I don't want the air compressor, "flashlight," jump starting terminals, etc.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scourie, thanks for the reply. That Celestron product is very similar to what I'm looking for, except for the flashlight, radio and siren and all that jazz. Doesn't anyone make just a simple, rugged battery-in-a-box?! Gawd, the last thing I need is yet another weekend project (e.g. building one from scratch), heh.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I use one of these Jaycar Electronics simple zippered bag with a lighter socket, you supply the battery, I use one myself, fits a 7AH SLA.
If you want one I can order it and post to you, it comes flat packed so postage shouldn't be too expensive.
PM me if you want to go this way.
Norm

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Thanks to all for the replies, especially Norm for offering to ship something for me (I know it can be a pain to ship international).

I really appreciate it.

The "universal laptop battery" intrigues me, but for a different project than what I originally posted for, specifically for use as a stand-by pack for my ham radios!

BVH

Flashaholic
The number of charge/discharge cycles of Lead Acid batteries is significantly reduced if you discharge below 40% Depth of Discharge. They can, however, sit for moderately long periods of time without being charged and still work fine and last for quite a while. I had a couple of 110 amp AGM deep cycle batteries that powered my tank lights. I would charge them up after use and then not charge them for 1 to 2 months or just before using the lights. Their capacity did not suffer at all over a near two-year period.

The number of charge/discharge cycles of Lead Acid batteries is significantly reduced if you discharge below 40% Depth of Discharge. They can, however, sit for moderately long periods of time without being charged and still work fine and last for quite a while. I had a couple of 110 amp AGM deep cycle batteries that powered my tank lights. I would charge them up after use and then not charge them for 1 to 2 months or just before using the lights. Their capacity did not suffer at all over a near two-year period.

Unlike NiMH though, if you do let them self discharge too far, they're damaged beyond all use.

UPS batteries are regularly damaged when it's decommissioned for one reason or another, then put back in service a year later, because they sat in the storage room w/o any top offs.